TOOLS & FABRICATION Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding

Any advice on a tig welder?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 06:06 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Any advice on a tig welder?

I have an awesome 220 wire welder and plasma cutter. Now I need a tig welder. I can get a spool gun for my Snap-On welder but I don't know how well a spool gun works? Right now I need to be able to weld up to 1/4 plate for the dump boxes at work. Does anyone know if a spool gun will get the job done?

What are your thoughts on the spool gun vs. what would be a good tig welder?
Old 05-03-2013, 09:35 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I post one weld that doesn't look like a perfect row of dimes and it still haunts me 5 years later. Ask for some advice and nobody has any? haha

Seriously if anyone has experience or knowledge about spool guns vs. tig welding. Also factoring in ease of operation as I know tig is an art that takes some time to master.
Old 05-05-2013, 04:34 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Not alot of guys hang out in here on a daily basis.

With that being said, A spool gun depends on your ability to weld.

As you know, it's basically a MIG gun with a mini spool of wire on top. It has just a little bit of a learning curve to get used to. It won't get in to as tight of spaces as a regular MIG gun. Since your asking about a spool gun and TIG, I am under the impression this is for use with aluminum.

A spool gun for MIG welding aluminum can give a false since of security since you can make a nice weld and still have little to no penetration. If you master it, it can be much faster for production welding then a TIG.

When Possible, My preference is TIG since you have control over the heat. For production work, a spool gun with preheating every time.
Old 05-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

It will be used for repairing dump truck beds and other small fabrication jobs. At work we have a few dump trucks with aluminum boxes and naturally it is more prone to cracking.

I love the idea of a tig welder and my only concern is the learning curve. I am not sure that a spool gun and aluminum is going to be much less of a learning curve and I would love to master tig.

I found an Eastwood 200 amp for $900 shipped. Seems like a good price. Is that a good unit for minimal use and smaller projects?
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by custm2500
It will be used for repairing dump truck beds and other small fabrication jobs. At work we have a few dump trucks with aluminum boxes and naturally it is more prone to cracking.

I love the idea of a tig welder and my only concern is the learning curve. I am not sure that a spool gun and aluminum is going to be much less of a learning curve and I would love to master tig.

I found an Eastwood 200 amp for $900 shipped. Seems like a good price. Is that a good unit for minimal use and smaller projects?
I have only used Name brand equipment So I don't know if there any good.

200AMP should be sufficient for light stuff.

Look at it this way. If you change your mind or want to upgrade, the investment is minimal compared to a name brand unit. It also has warranty since it's new. Either way it's probably a good starter option.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Best part is my boss is paying for this one! No huge *** snap-on payment! For the little bit of work it will do it should last forever. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by custm2500
Best part is my boss is paying for this one! No huge *** snap-on payment! For the little bit of work it will do it should last forever. Thanks.
Always nice to learn a new skill. Especially when some one else is paying for the equipment and the time to learn how to use it.
Old 05-07-2013, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are just welding up very small cracks tig would be fine. Bigger stuff you will want the spull. Also tig has to be clean clean clean for it to weld correctly and if you run to hot or cold it will crack easy.
Old 05-08-2013, 02:49 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

I will spend a lot of time with the torch in my hand just playing then my first projects will be patching small holes in dump beds. So nothing structural but they will take a lot of abuse. Good R&D for my new welding "skill".
Old 05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 191 Likes on 149 Posts

You'll need more like 300-350 amps for a 1/4" dump bed. Unless you preheat, a 200 amp welder will be marginal. I have to go "full throttle" with my DX 200 to weld a small 1/4" flange. As big of a heat sink as a dump bed is, my welder might not even do it.

Quick Reply: Any advice on a tig welder?