Texas We've Seceded from the Union

Anyone in DFW have a Tech II?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone in DFW have a Tech II?

My dad's 96 needs to be scanned so we can figure out what's wrong with it! Replaced spider injection, timing chain, new distributor, cam position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and it will idle fine but once you stomp on it it'll pop/backfire and run like crap, I think it's 180 out but we'd like to see what the timing is at. Thanks in advance
Old 04-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

Originally Posted by cammed00
My dad's 96 needs to be scanned so we can figure out what's wrong with it! Replaced spider injection, timing chain, new distributor, cam position sensor, crankshaft position sensor and it will idle fine but once you stomp on it it'll pop/backfire and run like crap, I think it's 180 out but we'd like to see what the timing is at. Thanks in advance
Is it popping a check engine light?

Any halfway decent scanner should be able to read that timing value.
If not you should be able to use a digital timing light to see where it's set at.

I believe you have you to disconnect something to check the base timing with a timing light on those models.

Make sure you are using a decent quality cap and rotor and that it's seated properly. I personally fought that issue after a tune up on our old Suburban a few years back.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

After idling for a minute or 2 it gets random cylinder misfire. We don't have a scanner at all other than a pos that just reads a code and can clear it. I feel it's something deeper just don't know. I have thought it might be 180 out but I don't know and he just wants it fixed soon.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Bump it
Old 04-24-2014, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Nobody? Not looking for a freebie I'll pay you for your time!
Old 04-24-2014, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does it turn over strange? like sound funny when starting because that's typical of timing as far as backfire its sounds like a lean condition fuel pressure? fuel filter ? that where I would start. without a scanner this could be a fight man. what are you working on a 5.7? full size pickup or is it the 4.3 spider injected v6?
Old 04-24-2014, 12:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Starts right off the bat and idles fine but once it idles for a second you'll get a random cylinder misfire but it has all new plugs, wires, distributor and cap. It's a 96 silverado vortec 5.7
Old 04-24-2014, 01:54 PM

Starts right off the bat and idles fine but once it idles for a second you'll get a random cylinder misfire but it has all new plugs, wires, distributor and cap. It's a 96 silverado vortec 5.7
id check fuel pressure and see where your at those a very critical with fuel pressure from what ive experienced should be 60-66 psi running if its like 58 ive seen where it can cause trouble but without a scanner this is about the only place you can really start if it idles ok I don't suspect timing issue you could roll the number 1 cylinder to tdc compression stroke and see if under the cap your rotor is pointing to the correct cylinder. what id like to see is bank 1 and 2 fuel trims but there again with no scanner your kinda limited let me know if that helps
Old 04-24-2014, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also replaced the fuel filter and it's getting I think it was 62 psi. I'm not having any luck with finding anyone with a scanner so we can check stuff out. Thanks man
Old 04-25-2014, 10:27 AM

yeah that's just it with no scanner your kinda back in the carb days so to speak

Quick Reply: Anyone in DFW have a Tech II?