TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question..

I have an 06 with Bose Premium I believe. The factory headunit was just a single CD player, with no Bose markings on it. But, I have the Bose speaker covers and sub in the center console. So I assume I have the Non-Lux Bose set up.

Is it possible for me to install JUST a LUX amp?

As the truck sits, I have the GMOS harness and an Alpine DVD/Nav set up. I just want a little bit more out of the stock sub. I assume this AMP upgrade would accomplish this, just curious as to what the requirements are for installing the AMP( Lux ).
Old 01-15-2013, 07:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by MonkeySkull
I have a question..

I have an 06 with Bose Premium I believe. The factory headunit was just a single CD player, with no Bose markings on it. But, I have the Bose speaker covers and sub in the center console. So I assume I have the Non-Lux Bose set up.

Is it possible for me to install JUST a LUX amp?

As the truck sits, I have the GMOS harness and an Alpine DVD/Nav set up. I just want a little bit more out of the stock sub. I assume this AMP upgrade would accomplish this, just curious as to what the requirements are for installing the AMP( Lux ).
To verify type of sound system is to check your RPO codes (located in the glove box).

You can't use a aftermarket head unit with a LUX amp, as the amp transfers sound from the radio to the amp via the class 2 data serial wires and not the typical sound postive/negtive left/right wires.

I really don't think you will get as much as you think out of your stock sub, even with a LUX amp.
Now if you have the RPO code UQ7 you can add AOEM-GM24 from Pac audio, then run a seprate amp and subwoofer. This is what I did, works great and the factory sub still operates just incase you want to return it to stock form.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:00 AM

First off, I'd be fine with going back to a stock head unit.

I'm not looking for it to sound like a 12" or anything. I just want a cleaner sound and to actually be able to hear the sub. Right now it almost sounds nonexistent.

If I was to put my original head unit back in, would I be able to do this swap? Or do I have to have the Y91/Y92 unit?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:17 AM
TECH Apprentice

First off, I'd be fine with going back to a stock head unit.

I'm not looking for it to sound like a 12" or anything. I just want a cleaner sound and to actually be able to hear the sub. Right now it almost sounds nonexistent.

If I was to put my original head unit back in, would I be able to do this swap? Or do I have to have the Y91/Y92 unit?
Agreed the stock Bose sub is small, and doesn't have much output.

You haven't told me what your RPO codes are for your truck? UQ7, or Y91/Y92?

If you have a Y91/Y92 you would probably know as its sounds awesome for stock Bose. If you have a UQ7 then both Y91/Y92 head unit & LUX amp (with the additional parts and repining wiring harness) is required. The LUX uses class 2 serial data wires to transfer sound.

UQ7 just add a sub to your current system I added a 10" MTX Thunderform C15HC00C10-TN and it sounds good for its small size.
Old 01-16-2013, 10:59 AM

I won't be back to my truck for another week.

But it never had a 6 CD changer, so wouldn't that automatically make it a non lux?

I'll check the RPO codes next weekend though.

But if I just have the premium. Can you get a non nav, lux head unit?
Old 01-16-2013, 11:55 AM
TECH Apprentice

I won't be back to my truck for another week.

But it never had a 6 CD changer, so wouldn't that automatically make it a non lux?

I'll check the RPO codes next weekend though.

But if I just have the premium. Can you get a non nav, lux head unit?
Agreed, I scanned past you statement about a "single" cd player, but not 100% sure. most of the Y91/Y92 had a tape deck and seprate 6 disc cd changer.

I covered this in my last post's with the 1994Vmax,

lets keep it simple: no matter what head unit you use, "it must match the amp"! being non-nav or nav makes no difference, its either non-LUX or LUX.

I just don't have the part numbers for the non-Nav head units for either the Non-LUX or LUX

If you get the parts numbers then please send them to me I will try my best to cross reference them and add them to this write up.

I am almost positive that no vehicle came from GM with NAV it was a dealer installed option, meaning they would remove your non-nav head unit and replace it with a Nav.

If you have non-LUX/premium amp then you must use a non-LUX/premium head unit, either non-nav or nav.

Same goes for the Lux amp, you must use a LUX head unit, non-nav or nav.

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 01-16-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:07 PM

That pretty much answers my question.

I just need to find a LUX non nav head unit part number now.
Old 01-16-2013, 01:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

That pretty much answers my question.

I just need to find a LUX non nav head unit part number now.
Ok, I kept my non-nav non-LUX head unit, I will try and dig around and find it sometime soon and PM the part number to you.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:25 PM

Name:  B2D72890-C3C5-4BB2-9E8A-92C6C08572CF-2875-0000037D6D42E979.jpg
Views: 9253
Size:  71.7 KB

There we go!
Old 01-29-2013, 07:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Update:

Added GMT800 Nav disc part numbers from 2003-2012 and non-nav non-lux radio w/6CD part numbers in Post #2 note: 2013 Nav disc is not out yet

If anyone knows the GM part numbers for non-nav LUX original radio please PM me.

***when using “PA15-GM” iPod interface it will cause read/write commination errors with HPTuners
example:
1. Gathering Information Complete
2. Validating License Complete
3. Requesting Access Complete
4. Preparing VCM Failed
5. Reading Entire VCM
6. Validating Inegrity

Boot Loader Download timed out.

I was able to unplug the wiring harness at the iPod interface and it allowed HPTuners to read/write successfully

Thanks

Last edited by camcamaro1991; 02-06-2013 at 11:10 AM. Reason: update

Quick Reply: OEM Navigation upgrade for GMT800's