TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

Installing 06 Chevy E-fans on a 01 Chevy

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thattallguy
Great write up, helped me a lot with my install, just waiting on a tuned pcm now, I have two questions though as I'm not done just yet.

What do you do with that first plug on the harness? I have an 04 SS and don't have anything for it to plug into.

The two black wires at the end of the harness, those are just grounds right?
I think the plug you're talking about is the plug that sits by the fuse block? If so, those two wires go strait to the computer. Pin 33 and 42.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 257 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by thattallguy
Great write up, helped me a lot with my install, just waiting on a tuned pcm now, I have two questions though as I'm not done just yet.

What do you do with that first plug on the harness? I have an 04 SS and don't have anything for it to plug into.

The two black wires at the end of the harness, those are just grounds right?
The small black plug with the green and blue wire? You cut those wires and then connect them to the computer.

The two black wires are grounds, yes. I connected mine to the frame down under the radiator on the drivers front, the location is on the front of the truck behind and down lower than the headlight. Several grounds hook up there to a bolt already.
Old 06-27-2012, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
I think the plug you're talking about is the plug that sits by the fuse block? If so, those two wires go strait to the computer. Pin 33 and 42.
Originally Posted by 00pooterSS
The small black plug with the green and blue wire? You cut those wires and then connect them to the computer.

The two black wires are grounds, yes. I connected mine to the frame down under the radiator on the drivers front, the location is on the front of the truck behind and down lower than the headlight. Several grounds hook up there to a bolt already.
Alright I was really hoping to not splice anything lol but it's easy enough, just gotta find some of those pins. Thanks for the quick response guys!
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 PM
Teching In

Safe to say pin 33 is for the green PCM plug? as 42 is taken on blue? I am not the greatest with wiring diagrams.

Also any idea where to buy the pin connectors? I haven't had any luck finding any.

Last edited by thattallguy; 06-28-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

You can buy them online. But Nonnieselman recommended that I use the pins from the rear o2 sensors that I wasn't using. So if there is something in the pcm that you're not using, just rob those.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No point in buying something you have right there in front of you.. rear oxygen sensors have 4 wires each, thats 8 pins right there.
Old 06-29-2012, 10:50 PM
Teching In

Well I'm hooped... Got the whole thing done up, truck started on the first try with the new pcm tune from wheatley. Fans were spinning almost right away (low speed), truck didn't even get up to operating temp and started smoking within a minute or so... I'm very confused.

Salvaged pins 25 and 28 from the rear o2 sensors. Off of that one plug I spliced in the green wire to pin 42 on the blue connector, and the blue wire to pin 33 on the green connector. Ground must be fine since the fans spun?

I have the 145 amp alternator, new optima yellow top, just recently cleaned the throttle body and K&N Air filter. One thing to note is that the tune is tuned for the new LT headers I have, cat delete, and a 165 thermostat which I haven't put on just yet, the parts arrived last night going on this weekend.

Any ideas?
Old 06-29-2012, 10:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Smoking?? from where?
Old 06-29-2012, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Might be a false alarm actually >.< I think it;s from the penetrating oil I sprayed on the exhaust manifold bolts in prep for the header install.

However my one low beam HID won't turn on now, and neither will my fogs... o.O
Old 07-01-2012, 08:44 PM

I am parting out a '05 z71, plan to keep everything I need to swap the 5.3 into another truck.

Today I sold the radiator/support. I accidently let the oil cooler and wiring harness go with it.

Can anyone tell me what all is part of the wiring harness that is connected to the radiator support? If it only powers the fans and lights I might not have messed up too badly.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Installing 06 Chevy E-fans on a 01 Chevy