TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

Installing 06 Chevy E-fans on a 01 Chevy

Old 02-20-2014, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will a stock 2006 program work for the 03 if I just wanted to add fans? Think I'm going to try it for a week or so. Couldn't find to big of a difference in stock programming (ign timing or fuel pulse... Etc)

Originally Posted by Khipset
For those who need a little guidance on the Fan settings in HPTuners, I pulled this from a stock 2006 Silverado.

I would note that most of LR4/LM7 and L59's come stock with 186F thermostats. With external oil and transmission coolers, running engine temps of 185-190F is possible with even just one Fan on high. Please keep in mind the colder you keep the engine, your mileage decreases and you increase wear. If you're going to play with your temp settings, be sure to log your temps in different conditions and change your temps to meet your desires. Colder is not always better, especially on Daily Drivers.

Old 04-13-2014, 11:09 AM

Hello, great info about fan up-grade!, got fans and factory harness yesterday, I guess i got myself confused about the pin your talking about. where does that come from? will i need any type of special tool to retrieve that?. any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Joe. i am doing this to my 2002 1500 HD Silverado with the 6.0
Old 04-17-2014, 08:35 PM
Teching In

I did this install tonight and the one fan comes on with the a/c but the other one won't work. I have the green wire from the factory harness going to the #42 pin in the pcm, which was turned on for the fans by Blackbear. Any Ideas what could be wrong? How can I get it to work correctly if the pcm pin isn't turned on correctly?
Old 06-01-2014, 01:59 AM

Wishmasstir I'm having the same issue as you, wondering if you resolved the issue
Old 06-15-2014, 01:12 PM
On The Tree

i got my fans working, i choose to go as cheap as i could. this is for a 2002 computer. i'm not sure if how i hooked mine up was covered in this thread.

i fabbed my own shroud, ordered two 14" fans from skip white(ebay), built my harness following a diagram to operate as stock.

i moved a rear o2 pin to pin 42 for low speed, and spliced into pin 33 (ac recirculation) for ac/high speed switch. in HP tuners i copied stock electric fan settings with small tweeks on temp settings, and picked ac recirculation for my fan selection under ac tab(not 2 fan setting). both of these pins give me a ground signal.

everything appears to be working.
ac on single fan goes high.
ac off temp reached both fans go low.
ac on temp reached both fans go high.
ac on temp cools off right fan shuts off left fan remains high.

i have yet to reach my high temp fan switch to see if it will trigger with ac off. i might lower that down to see if it comes on.

update i have noticed the way this is set up my ac will switch the one fan on with key in the on position but truck not running. not a big deal to me and give me the option to pull air without truck running i suppose if i wanted to.

Last edited by tashspop; 06-17-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 06-20-2014, 11:41 AM
On The Tree

update from above. with my ac fan set as recirculate i was having issues with the fans running after turning the motor off. this was hit or miss when it would occur. changing those to fan #2 seems to have fixed that issue. i miss read or got bad data from another forum on this setting.
Old 08-05-2014, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

subscribed
Old 08-16-2014, 06:46 PM
Teching In

I need to get a 34 inch radiator and a set of fans. No junk yards around here. NAPA has a radiator for $215. It was the trans cooler and oil cooler in the radiator.Will that be a prof I don't currently have an oil cooler in my 28 inch radiator?

Fans on ebay go for $125 to $200 depending on with ot without a performance package. I'm not sure what this GM performance package option is.

Ebay radiator is $100 with engine and tranny cooler built in. Has anyone got their parts from ebay?
Old 03-07-2015, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

ere is some additional information that hopefully will clear up some issues in this thread:

1) Radiator size - this is the size of the core. 34" is what you definitely need to use the 05+ fans.

2) A radiator with oil cooler is no problem, just block off those passages in the radiator if you don't have an oil cooler. I have a radiator like this and although I have bought the oil lines/cooler, I have not installed them yet.

3) When using the factory harness, don't cut off the GT150 connector for the PCM leads. All you need is the female GT150 connector and some of your own wire to run to the PCM. Of course, if picking the harness at the junk yard, just make sure to take this complete connector. If you need the GT150 female side connector, I found one here with the terminals seals and lock. Delphi GT150 Series 2 Way Female Wiring Loom Connector

4) You can definitely use the factory harness and control the both fans through the PCM for 1999-2002 models. I believe GMCtrk has a 1999 and did this, nonnieselman did this with his 2000 and I have done this with my 2002

5) A cool little tool when working with connectors and terminals is this removal tool

6) Using the 05 fan settings as previously posted is a good way to go. However, I own an '02 and decided to go with 2002 Camaro fan settings and have had no issues whatsoever

7) Just to clear up any misconceptions about fan speed: the fans do not have separate speeds. A particular fan will at a particular RPM based on the voltage that is receives.

When both fans spin at "low speed", it is because they are in series, thru the use of the relays, and are receiving 6 volts each.

When a fan is at "high speed", it is because the fan is receiving a full 12 volts of power, because now the fans are in parallel mode.

_

Last edited by SnakeOiler; 03-03-2024 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:52 AM
On The Tree

Has anybody had any problems with the low fans staying on all the time? I installed fbody fans on my 01 Silverado and cant get them to turn on with temp. If I add a 30 second delay it will respond to that. Here is my tune

Type of fans-series parallel fans
Fan #1 turn on temp-185
Fan #1 turn off temp-175
Fan #1 turn on by a/c temp-284
Fan #1 turn off speed-50
Fan #1 turn on speed-45
Fan #1 turn on delay-30
Fan #1 turn off delay-0
Fan #1 minimum on time-90
Fan #1 run on temp-284
Fan #1 run on time-1
Fan #1 a/c pressure enable-500