TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

Diy aux input on a factory radio

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 06:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just tried the OP's guide. I have the exact same stereo in a 2005 Silverado. Same chip, same everything. Can't get it to work, though! I'm fairly skilled with soldering and this type of thing, so I don't really think it's likely that I made any mistakes.

When I plug in the auxiliary (with the tape in, of course) I immediately start getting a "Thump...thump...thump..." like a constant bass tick, and nothing more. It DOES stop the tape music as soon as I plug it in, so it's obviously recognizing something, but it does not play any sounds from my device (phone in this case. tried a tablet and a laptop as well).

Anyone have any clues? I soldered to the same exact pads as the OP suggested, and even tested with an ohm meter from the corresponding IC legs to the end of the cable, and everything is solid. Seems really strange!
Old 07-16-2012, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Just did this today like the 2nd way that was posted. Just a note I installed it on the front of the center console near the lower storage hole and the plastic is too thick to use the retaining nut I even filed out the backside. I drilled the hole snug so it's a tight fit but I just wanted to let everyone aware that the plastic is to thick at that location.

Last edited by Blue 04 Z71; 07-17-2012 at 05:44 AM.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:35 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, to get it into the back of the console I took a sanding disk to the back side till I could get the lock-nut on about 2 turns and called it good.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Teching In

I am attempting to do this mod on a stereo without a tape player. Therefore I'm trying to do this with the "cd" player not the "tape" player... I used the 70(CD_R), and 72(CD_L) prong on the chip... I Ran the left and right ground up to the ground in he corner just like the picture shows. Reassembled the radio, put in a cd with my iPhone playing and it spit the disk out. No sound came from the speakers while it was reading the cd. Wondering if anyone has tried to do this mod with the cd player that is attached to the deck, NOT the 6 cd changer like must people have done here.

Another ?
If I use the 70 and 72 prong, will I need to use the 77 and 14 as the GROUND instead of running the grounds up the the ground bolt

Here is the link to the chip diagram... The diagram is on page 10 of 52.

http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/SAA7706H.pdf

THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Diy aux input on a factory radio-image.jpg  
Old 03-24-2013, 05:31 PM
Teching In

Sorry, I can't help you with your question. I just recently swapped my standard AM/FM for the model with CD but no tape deck. I'm thinking about doing this mod too but the part about leaving the CD in is kind of a turn off. Seems like it would be spinning but not providing audio so extra wear and tear on the CD drive.

I have two questions of my own:

1) Looking at the pin outs is there a reason for not using 7 and 8 on the chip? They are identified as Aux? Maybe that feature has to be turned on with the software flash that the dealership does?

2) Isn't the open receptacle on the back of the radio for the secondary CD or Cassette drive? Why not just get a plug that fits and input audio from there instead of monkeying with the board?

Oh, wait. I have 3 questions. Since I don't have a manual for this radio (link to a download? hint, hint) can anyone explain how the "traffic" button works? Am I suppose to set that channel or does it find it on it's own like a universal channel across the country?

TIA
Old 07-03-2013, 04:59 PM
On The Tree

The-W/W/T - Did you end up getting it to work on your stereo? I'm also trying to perform this mod on an '04 head unit with internal CD player, but no tape deck.

Originally Posted by The-W/W/T
I am attempting to do this mod on a stereo without a tape player. Therefore I'm trying to do this with the "cd" player not the "tape" player... I used the 70(CD_R), and 72(CD_L) prong on the chip... I Ran the left and right ground up to the ground in he corner just like the picture shows. Reassembled the radio, put in a cd with my iPhone playing and it spit the disk out. No sound came from the speakers while it was reading the cd. Wondering if anyone has tried to do this mod with the cd player that is attached to the deck, NOT the 6 cd changer like must people have done here.

Another ?
If I use the 70 and 72 prong, will I need to use the 77 and 14 as the GROUND instead of running the grounds up the the ground bolt

Here is the link to the chip diagram... The diagram is on page 10 of 52.

THANK YOU TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!!!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by beingblueeyes
reassemble the radio and test it and if everything is correct and working your done! Now have a AUX input! to make the radio have the tape input option you must insert a tape in the tape deck, it can be any tape even one with nothing on it

TESTING
(Sorry for it being so dark and me fumbling around with the touch screen, its hard to do with your none dom. hand looking at it with the camera with out a stylist)
MOV01523.mp4 Video by cascadedhart | Photobucket
MOV01522.mp4 Video by cascadedhart | Photobucket
i have tested it on my application (truckputer) but not a ipod so i don’t know for sure if it will work for one
OTHER THINGS I WANT TO TALK ABOUT:
since i will never use my tape player i inserted my tape in the tape deck when i hade the radio apart so the dust door will stay down with the tape in it to make it look better. Some of you will say that this is the same thing as a tape insert with a 3.5mm jack on it used to plug in a cd player (big thing in the 90's) to that i say yes and no
YES: you do need a tape in the tape deck just so it gives you a option to switch to the tape deck, this could be done away with more soldering
NO: in the 90's tape to 3.5mm adapter all the sounds/data from your cd player would have to go past the tape heads bring the audio quality of a cd down to tape levels, with this mod the heads don’t do anything all the data go’s directly to the chip.

Questions or things i can elaborate on please ask
I realize this is 3 years old (at least at the beginning of the thread), but I do have a question regarding what I've bolded and colored above.

Do you know where this "more soldering" would need to be done? I'm assuming on the tape deck board, maybe...?

or

Do you know where I could find out for myself. I'm more than willing to do the research but google isn't really very helpful with the tape deck part number, which is 09376303 Rev. B.

Thank you for any info you may have on this.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:21 PM

Default Update...

THIS WAY WORKS....

I have a 2004 Suburban 3/4 ton - (don't want to trade it in as they don't make these anymore) so having an MP3 input would be great. I have the same radio with tape/cd.

Instead of wiring directly to the chip I wired the input to 5th and 7th wires (counting from the colored wire) on the 7 conductor internal connector to the tape deck. I used a 5 pin 3.5mm connector so the tape deck still works. Needs a tape in to work. Bottom line - works fantastic - much better sound than the tape with the wire option.

Don
Old 12-25-2014, 10:55 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Don Bell
THIS WAY WORKS....

I have a 2004 Suburban 3/4 ton - (don't want to trade it in as they don't make these anymore) so having an MP3 input would be great. I have the same radio with tape/cd.

Instead of wiring directly to the chip I wired the input to 5th and 7th wires (counting from the colored wire) on the 7 conductor internal connector to the tape deck. I used a 5 pin 3.5mm connector so the tape deck still works. Needs a tape in to work. Bottom line - works fantastic - much better sound than the tape with the wire option.

Don
Did you per chance take any pics? (I'm a visual guy).

DEWFPO
Old 01-02-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by DEWFPO
Did you per chance take any pics? (I'm a visual guy).

DEWFPO
sorry, i didnt. it was easy though. wire the input to the jack to the #5 and #7 wire on the 7 conductor connector. use shielded wire and ground to the corner screw on the circuit board.If you want the tape deck to still work wire th wires to the tape deck to the last two connectors on the jack. i will be doing a friends and post pictures then!

don

Quick Reply: Diy aux input on a factory radio