TECHNICAL WRITE-UPS A place for great instructional threads by members and moderators.

DIY adding a trans temp gauge to your cluster

Old 12-24-2011, 04:23 AM
12 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Still curious if anyone has any info on how to make this work...
Old 12-24-2011, 07:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
I gave up after about a year (back in 05) of trying to figure out how to make my existing clusters work, gave up and bought SS clusters for my trucks.
what other things have you tried?
if the cluster dose need to be reprogrammed then it has to do with one of the 4 chips on the cluster board, when i take mine back apart ill do some looking around for the chip numbers so at least i could narrow down what chip needs to be programed

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
How do you know that your trans temps ever got hot enough to move the needle? Were you towing a trailer, loaded heavy, or do you have an aftermarket converter? A mostly stock setup will not build a lot of heat in the transmission, and trans temps will be really low.

I'm just asking for the sake of asking. IDK if the cluster needs flashed or something silly like that.
to be fair the temp outside was 31F and I only did drive around 4 miles. I did do some brake stalls and loaded the trans by driving with me foot on the brake for around 1/4 mile.

my trans set up:
Corvette Servo w/2 spacers, Hayden 678 cooler, Transgo HD-2, Transgo separator plate, Sonnax pinless forward accumulator piston, 1-2 aluminum accumulator piston, the "beast", raybestos stage 1, TB converter

Last edited by beingblueeyes; 12-24-2011 at 07:15 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My truck have stock converters, even up north in 5 degree weather the transmission gauge still showed temp at highway speeds. There is a ebay vendor that will program the cluster so the added gauge will work. I plan on sending one in for my RCSB, will take cluster apart when it gets back to see if it was programmed or if any resistors where added to the board.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:02 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by TXSZ66AVLANCHE
My truck have stock converters, even up north in 5 degree weather the transmission gauge still showed temp at highway speeds. There is a ebay vendor that will program the cluster so the added gauge will work. I plan on sending one in for my RCSB, will take cluster apart when it gets back to see if it was programmed or if any resistors where added to the board.
the cheapest place on ebay ive found for that reprogramming was 90$
I took the truck out this morning for a 40 min drive and still nothing on the trans temp gauge. so i took it back apart for the chip numbers and found 2 more chips under the gear indicator and under the info display but couldn't read them due to the location then I did some looking for data sheets

Name:  1-1.jpg
Views: 8098
Size:  92.4 KB

I couldn't find much but i did find that the
L9203-02: is the display controller/driver

Last edited by beingblueeyes; 12-24-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 03:24 PM
Highway hauler

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tranny gauge install

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
How do you know that your trans temps ever got hot enough to move the needle? Were you towing a trailer, loaded heavy, or do you have an aftermarket converter? A mostly stock setup will not build a lot of heat in the transmission, and trans temps will be really low.

I'm just asking for the sake of asking. IDK if the cluster needs flashed or something silly like that.
Has there been any updates to this? I know I would like to do it if it works. As far as tranny temps go, I have checked my tranny pan temp with a non contact thermometer after a 60 plus mile drive home on the so Cal freeway. The ambient temp was in the mid 90s, and the last couple of miles home I really leaned on it to make the converter work and delay lockup.
My pan temp was 170 F. I have a 5.3 4l60e combo with 3.73 gears 265/70r16 tires and stock converter and stock tranny cooler. I have never been able to get my trans temp higher than 180. If you are running a monster tranny cooler, and/or the air is cool, I don't believe the fluid temps would climb that much, as long as you are moving.
The only time I saw tranny temps get high was with my 92 silverado. basicly same set up, 350 and 700r4 with 3.73 gears. I had a 2000 stall converter and was towing 3rd gen Camaro on a rental trailer. I had a B&M trans temp gauge installed. In several hours of stalled traffic on the freeway with the engine idling, the temp got over 250. I had to put it in neutral and rev the engine to cool'er down. Once we started moving over 25 MPH it cooled down on its own.
SOOOO, any update?
Old 12-31-2011, 10:21 PM
Staging Lane

yes there has been updates but none good. I bought a 2500 cluster (with trans temp) and took it apart and all the chips part numbers match, also im 99.9% sure the chip that needs to be reprogrammed is the 9399059AB (this is also the chip that holds the mileage data).

to reprogram that chip is going to take advanced knowledge of hex editing/eeprom burning as well as knowing what lines to edit and what to edit the lines to in the hex-editor. ive gone as fair as i can go with my current tools
Old 01-18-2012, 03:58 PM
Teching In

cluster needs reprogrammed.. All trucks can have this added... Guy that repaired a c luster for us added the trans temp while doing repair. when i reinstalled cluster worked fine... We used one of the dash guys we found on ebay..
Old 01-22-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did this myself a while back ago and it didnt work either. I went to the local chevy dealer and they told me $100 to program it.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:14 PM
On The Tree

You need a tech2 to reprogram it or an equivalent scan tool. Same idea as replacing a bcm or other computer.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:55 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

schramauto on eBay had brand new Denali clusters for $70 a while back......just a FYI for anyone who wanted a cheap cluster with white needles and trans temp.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DIY adding a trans temp gauge to your cluster