STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Yukon/Tahoe hidden subs/amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 10:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TX Tahoe Z71
I gots some...

Custom car stereo in Houston did the work. It's a JL W1 10" in a sealed box powered by a 250 watt PPI amp (IIRC). Sounds great, just loud enough without being obnoxious, but it bumps if you want it to. And the sub and amp have both survived my car getting broken into twice, if I had it sitting in the cargo area with the amp stashed under a seat, it would be long gone.

EDIT: And the amp is bolted down, it is not loose in there. It is unbolted in the picture b/c I was working on it.
love this set up. exactly what I am looking for. where did you relocate the jack? can you send contact info for the custom shop in houston. would love to ask them a question???
Old 01-04-2011, 10:52 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by upnorthescalade
love this set up. exactly what I am looking for. where did you relocate the jack? can you send contact info for the custom shop in houston. would love to ask them a question???
Custom Car Stereo in Houston did the work. And the jack now is stowed in a duffel bag in my cargo area along with jumper cables, tow strap, tire iron and gloves.
Old 01-13-2011, 10:24 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 132 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
I like the amp boxes under the 2nd row, too. Could you tell me if the seats folded flat with the box installed? ...
It is doubtful they fold all the way down. My amps are mounted directly to the floor under the second row and the seat backs actually rest on them when folded down.
If you want to retain full function of all your seating, it is going to be difficult to install 4-8's completely hidden. I currently have 2-10's in an enclosure sitting in my cargo area that I want to hide as well. I just can seem to find enough space for both of them without major modification. I have been kicking around the idea of a single 10 in the factor sub location (like TX Tahoe Z71's) and a matching 8 under the front console. Problem is, I have a monoblock sub amp and I want to be able to control the level of each sub separately. So I will probably end up with one robust 10 in the driver rear panel.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:12 PM
TECH Junkie

I have the amp for my front speakers under the driver's side 2nd row seat, and the seat doesn't fold completely flat, but enough that the amp hasn't hindered any cargo space. But obviously, I wouldn't recommend leaving the seat folded down for long periods of time for fear that the amp might overheat. The amp I have has a fan built in, so that gives me some comfort about putting the seat-back on top of it occasionally.
Old 08-01-2015, 04:04 PM

Default Measurements

I gots some...

Custom car stereo in Houston did the work. It's a JL W1 10" in a sealed box powered by a 250 watt PPI amp (IIRC). Sounds great, just loud enough without being obnoxious, but it bumps if you want it to. And the sub and amp have both survived my car getting broken into twice, if I had it sitting in the cargo area with the amp stashed under a seat, it would be long gone.

EDIT: And the amp is bolted down, it is not loose in there. It is unbolted in the picture b/c I was working on it.
Is there anyway you can give us measurements of the sub box? I have my 03 Tahoe Z71 apart and ready to build a box. Is the back of the box flat? Seems like the side of the Tahoe is angled. Any chance to see a pic of the back of the box? Thanks in advance for any help
Old 08-01-2015, 04:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeeper114
Is there anyway you can give us measurements of the sub box? I have my 03 Tahoe Z71 apart and ready to build a box. Is the back of the box flat? Seems like the side of the Tahoe is angled. Any chance to see a pic of the back of the box? Thanks in advance for any help
The box is
11" wide
7.5" deep, at the bottom
15.5" tall

It is made out of 3/4" MDF. Yes, the back top of the box is angled (chamfered) for clearance.

Hope this helps. Wish I had taken photos of the box before it was installed, that would have been more helpful. If I ever have to take it out, I'll do that.
Old 08-01-2015, 05:42 PM

The box is
11" wide
7.5" deep, at the bottom
15.5" tall

It is made out of 3/4" MDF. Yes, the back top of the box is angled (chamfered) for clearance.

Hope this helps. Wish I had taken photos of the box before it was installed, that would have been more helpful. If I ever have to take it out, I'll do that.
Thanks so much
Old 08-02-2015, 10:33 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jeeper114
Thanks so much
Happy to help. Post up some pics of your build.