STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

wiring factory stereo to amp?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks
Joshua,i use to pay a guy $300 to wire my stuff up.
no more will i do that
Old 10-03-2009, 09:41 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just make sure your feed from the radio to the amp isn't also still hooked up to the speakers, that would be bad. Doubt you'd make that mistake but I've been wrong before.

Also think ahead and make sure you can return it back to stock easily if you need to. So don't chop off a lot of wires when you don't need to.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:06 PM
TECH Resident

you are going to need a line out converter, its just a little box that converts speaker level signal down to rca levels, just hooking the speaker outputs from the stereo to the rca inputs on the amp would overdrive the **** out of the amp. i just t-tapped the harness right behind the deck on my truck and hooked up the L.O.C., t-taps are just little solderless connectors that pierce the insulation and slide over the wire, so no cutting and resplicing. then the rca's plug into the L.O.C. and run to the back like normal, also there is a wire to tap into for your signal wire (remote on/off) ill post up a pick, but its a system wire and your amp will stay on when the key is out, until you open the door, just like all the accessorys.

L.O.C. something like this
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....ci_sku=9066093
Old 10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 006rcsb
you are going to need a line out converter, its just a little box that converts speaker level signal down to rca levels, just hooking the speaker outputs from the stereo to the rca inputs on the amp would overdrive the **** out of the amp. i just t-tapped the harness right behind the deck on my truck and hooked up the L.O.C., t-taps are just little solderless connectors that pierce the insulation and slide over the wire, so no cutting and resplicing. then the rca's plug into the L.O.C. and run to the back like normal, also there is a wire to tap into for your signal wire (remote on/off) ill post up a pick, but its a system wire and your amp will stay on when the key is out, until you open the door, just like all the accessorys.
Originally Posted by mred
josh your doing fine.
i just wanna make sure i do understand.
i actually have the LOC's also,they are adjustable.
so i can use the locs for the front speakers and then tap into the rear speakers for the sub.
I checked on the Accessory wire but not sure which to use. Forgot that the new systems turn on by the OG data line.
the OG data line is Pin 1. Can he use that?

Edit: there is a line out converter that can be used. PAC AOEM-GM24

Last edited by viciousknid; 10-03-2009 at 10:21 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i actually have those from my old system.
the guy i bought my truck from had a system in the truck,he took the stuff out, i just hope it doesnt look like a rats nest behind the stereo.
the L.O.C.s that i have are up in the attic right now,i will look at them tomorrow.
the L.O.C. is there a bunch of wires or is just a couple.
looks like the converters from best buy will run a set of speakers,both left and right side,and maybe a couple more.
or i could keep it simple and purchase this?
http://www.installationproducts.com/...t.A/id.1241/.f
i do not have the bose system

Last edited by mred; 10-03-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

ok i went outside and took my dash apart so i could get some pics for ya, sorry they're not that great its dark and the flash was way too bright so i had to use a little flash light to get some light on it, worked, but not the greatest.

ok this is the bundle of wires under the steering wheel, you can see its the top left connector you want to tap

and heres a little closer up of that grey connector, its kinda hard to see, but you want the blue wire, top row, third from the left. use this to turn on and off your amp, mine goes on and off with the radio and even when i turn off and take out the key, my amp will stay on till i open the door.

and heres a shot of the quick little tap job behind the radio, my L.O.C. is alot bigger but it still fits back there just fine, and they are simple, just 4 wires, a positive and a negative from each speaker, just make sure the phasing is right or you will have a problem, you know + to + and - to -

Last edited by 006rcsb; 10-03-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:47 PM
Banned

Line level converters.They splice into your speaker wires and turns that signal into an rca input.Be warned though,installing a line level converter on your factory stereo,esp a Bose system,it will sound like DOG ****.

You need a JL Audio Clean Sweep or equivalant if you want it to sound good.
Old 10-03-2009, 10:55 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by broke1
Line level converters.They splice into your speaker wires and turns that signal into an rca input.Be warned though,installing a line level converter on your factory stereo,esp a Bose system,it will sound like DOG ****.

You need a JL Audio Clean Sweep or equivalant if you want it to sound good.
well to each his own, but im gonna disagree, set up right they sound just fine. the jl clean sweep is a great product, but kinda expensive. if a loc is used and the gains are adjusted properly excellent results are easily achievable.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:08 PM
Banned

well to each his own, but im gonna disagree, set up right they sound just fine. the jl clean sweep is a great product, but kinda expensive. if a loc is used and the gains are adjusted properly excellent results are easily achievable.
Some people think there stereo's sound good,others know it sounds like ****.Like the guys in the ghetto bumpin there bubbles,they think it sounds good but it really sounds like ***.

If u dont mind distortion or muddy sound,by all means,get a cheap line level converter and crank that ****....

Then again,I can see why you might think line level sounds good.Car audio products really went to **** in the late 90's and I am sure most here wouldnt know good car stereo if it bit them in the ***,just because its not made anymore.There are only a few car audio products that compare to 15,even 20 years ago.Hell,you have to spend about $1000 just to get a 24 bitt burr brown dac when they used to put them in the cheapest of cd players.All amps used to have military spec electronics on the inside.Now a days,amps burn up ALL the time,even the supposed good ones.

Check ebay,when you see 20+ year old electronics going for more than new,that ought to be a GOOD clue.

How long have you been into stereos?If the anwser is less than 11-12 years,you should have been around in the good old days and you would know what you are missing and that line level converters are horrible for sound.,HORRIBLE.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by broke1
Some people think there stereo's sound good,others know it sounds like ****.Like the guys in the ghetto bumpin there bubbles,they think it sounds good but it really sounds like ***.

If u dont mind distortion or muddy sound,by all means,get a cheap line level converter and crank that ****....

Then again,I can see why you might think line level sounds good.Car audio products really went to **** in the late 90's and I am sure most here wouldnt know good car stereo if it bit them in the ***,just because its not made anymore.There are only a few car audio products that compare to 15,even 20 years ago.Hell,you have to spend about $1000 just to get a 24 bitt burr brown dac when they used to put them in the cheapest of cd players.All amps used to have military spec electronics on the inside.Now a days,amps burn up ALL the time,even the supposed good ones.

Check ebay,when you see 20+ year old electronics going for more than new,that ought to be a GOOD clue.

How long have you been into stereos?If the anwser is less than 11-12 years,you should have been around in the good old days and you would know what you are missing and that line level converters are horrible for sound.,HORRIBLE.
so what are you suggesting?
im not going for competition or anything

Quick Reply: wiring factory stereo to amp?