Click here to visit LS1Tech
Click here to visit Performance Trucks
Click here to visit Mod Motor Tech
Click here to visit Modern Hemi

PerformanceTrucks.net Forums  

Go Back   PerformanceTrucks.net Forums > GENERAL TRUCK PERFORMANCE, PROJECTS, & GROUP DISCUSSION...specifically > STEREO & ELECTRONICS
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Albums FAQ Members Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read VendorsUsed CarsGarageStore TSBs & Recalls
Welcome to PerformanceTrucks.net Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-13-2006, 12:54 PM   #1
Trader Rating: 0
Staging Lane

Send a message via Yahoo to knp01chevy
Default Replacing Yukon/Tahoe factory Sub in rear...

I just bought an 02 Yukon and was wondering what it takes to replace the factory sub in the rear. Do you have to run a new amp and power source, wires, etc... with the factory head unit. I haven't taken the panel off yet to look but thought I might get some input on here first. Any input is appreciated!

4.8 ltr, 01' Z06 cam, Gibson Headers, 100 shot, 3.73's, Hypertech, dual elec. fans, 2-4 drop on 22's
http://www.imboc.com/Uploads/050514-3471-1116112419.jpg
knp01chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 02:39 AM   #2
Trader Rating: 2
TECH Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure when I pulled the factory sub it was already running at 2ohms, so unless you but a dual two ohm and ran it at 1ohm you wouldn't get any more power out of the factory amp and it probably wouldn't sound good. There are a lot of amps out ther now that will let plug high level inputs (speaker input) directly into the amp so you don't have to replace the HU.

So I think as a minimum you need a new 8" subwoofer and an amp with high level input and it will give you quite a bit more bass then your getting now.

Optimally though, a new box, 10" sub, HU, amps, and new components are really necessary to get good quality sound.

Hope that helps.
1999 SS M6 #1935 (Mine)- TR224 cam, most bolt-ons, Strano/Koni 4/4s, MWC 9" - 387hp/385tq -12.25 @ 113
1999 Mustang GT A4 (Hers)- Saleen Series II blower, forged internals, all the bolt-ons, full suspension - 325hp/369tq - 12.98 @ 105.3
2002 Tahoe LS (Ours) - Off Road Wheels/Tires, Flowmaster (Dual Outs)
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
z28ss4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 10:47 PM   #3
Trader Rating: 3
TECH Resident

I've got an 02 and mine sounds like poop, too. lol, go get a multimeter from an autoparts store and use it to find the impedence of the woofer (ohm load). Once you find that, you can start deciding what kind of woofer you want to replace it. I unhooked mine and dropped in a Resonant Engineering SX 15" in a 5.5 cu ft box tuned to 30 hertz powered by a JBL bp1200.1.... It's a lil more than stock, to say the least
ramdaspadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 PM   #4
Trader Rating: 0
Staging Lane

Send a message via AIM to baron

you could jsut replace it with any 8" sub if i remember correctly.. wont do much w/o an aftermarket amp though
baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:46 PM
PerformanceTrucks
Ford F150

Paid Advertisement

Tags
02, 2001, 2002, aftermarket, amp, factory, location, rear, replace, replacing, run, stock, subwoofer, tahoe, woofer, yukon