STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Pulling my hair out, 2006 GMC, aftermarket head unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 06:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Pulling my hair out, 2006 GMC, aftermarket head unit

Hello there!

I am really at a loss, I cannot figure out why the hell I can't get this aftermarket head unit to power up?

Truck is a 2006 GMC 1500, quad cab, SLE I believe for trim level, has the 4.8.

Unit is a Pioneer AVH-X3800BHS

I had purchased metra wire harness IBR-WHGM3. I did notice that the 12v red wire was in the wrong spot and moved it on the metra harness, but the head unit still will not power up! Looking at Metra's website this is looking like it may not be applicable for the truck as it lists 2002 as the last Sierra compatible year... (The packaging claims GM vehicles up to 2008... yeah sure!)

I removed the parking brake bypass I installed, no change.

I am guessing I just am missing something vital.

Truck does not have On-Star, so far as I know does not have an amp, or any rear entertainment option. The rear doors do have speakers. The factory head unit is pretty much the lowest optioned CD player I've ever seen. I am at a loss here.

Any help is much appreciated! I had a used head unit that didn't work and then I bought this new one, still no juice so I must have some kind of interface issue or something.

Guess I'll go throw the factory unit back in so I have some music for the work commute the next two days. I've had the dash trim off now for over a month, I'm going nuts!
Old 06-28-2016, 06:11 PM
TECH Junkie

New Pac Audio C2R GM24 GM Chime and Data Bus Integration Interface | eBay

Is this really what I need? Please tell me there is an option where I don't have to work half a day just to get this radio to work, WTF? Good lord...

To further clarify, truck seems to have six speakers? Maybe, in the front doors it looks to have a speaker of the same size as the rear doors and a tweeter. Also I have no power seats or mirrors, truck does have power door locks and windows. Found the adapter at a decent price, I guess if the word is I need it I will order it.

Last edited by camar0corey; 06-28-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Found the adapter on Amazon for $29.99 shipped, so I did that. I texted a friend with one of these trucks who did not need the adapter, but he had the Bose options. He contacted someone who stated it sounded like I would indeed need the adapter.
Old 06-28-2016, 08:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Is the head unit powering up at all? Heres a dumb question for ya, have you checked the fuses?? I have never seen a metra kit that the wires were in the wrong place. Had a friend i helped install a pioneer double din in his 06 sierra and he ended up buying a similar adaptor at best buy
Old 06-28-2016, 10:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Is this a new deck or used? A good test is to take the harness that came with the deck, plug it into the deck, twist the red and yellow wires together and touch them to the positive side of your battery, then touch the black wire to the negative side of the battery. Does it turn on now? If the deck is good it will!

Metra does a good job with their conversion harnesses. I've never had a problem. If you are installing your own stereo, you need a test light or a multimeter. 2 wires power up your radio (red and black) and 1 wire keeps all your presets/clock/date info (yellow). You need a wire that provides 12 volts key on and key off. You need a wire that provides 12 volts only when the key is on. And you need a ground, which can be a wire or a wire connected to a piece of metal that eventually makes its way to the chassis.

You should not need the data bus interface. Unless you see the word "Bose" on your door panels or factory head unit, you will be fine with the Metra. Don't expect the red wire on one side of the connector to line up with a red wire on the other side. This is where a multimeter pays for itself.

The only benefit to a Metra harness is not having to run new wires from the deck to your speakers. The 3 power wires are easy to locate within the dash/fuse box. But you need a multimeter.

You can also live chat with Crutchfield. They are good.
Old 06-29-2016, 02:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have the wrong Metra kit and you may have toasted the radio too. Sure, it fits a 2008 Pontiac Vibe, but that's a long shot from a truck.

The correct adapter is
Metra LC-GMRC-01 Wiring Interface
Old 06-29-2016, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Crutchfield shows a GMOS-01 adapter, to retain Onstar.
Old 06-29-2016, 06:52 PM
TECH Junkie

This is what I ended up ordering.

According to PAC's website it is for 2003-2006 1500 Sierra's without On-Star, without Bose. I'm guessing the PAC I ordered is similar to the correct Metra kit Suburbazine linked. Thanks for all the help!
PAC's website.

My truck doesn't have Bose or OnStar.

Yeah I have the wrong Metra kit thanks to Best Buy. Go figure, why would they label the stupid thing as GM up to 2008?