STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

PROBLEM: Truck started playing radio out of the blue key out

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2016, 08:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PROBLEM: Truck started playing radio out of the blue key out

hey guys

Drove my truck on Tuesday a good three hours and parked it that night. Nothing abnormal. Drove my car the rest of the week. Today Saturday its just above freezing, a little snow, sleet and rain mix day. I'm standing close to my truck this afternoon and all of a sudden I hear music playing. I get close to the house as I wonder if I left the TV on...but sure enough the truck is playing music from the radio and the dash lights are all on.

Now the truck has 3 inches of snow on it from not moving for a few days, my neighbors were over and noticed it happening. There convinced I have a ghost!!

So I tried all the doors to open and close wondering if the switch was somehow stuck close or open or something....of course I don't really believe any of that will work...but what was I to do.

So starting it, taking it for a drive, trying the door locks whatever simple can bbe tried isnt working.

I have dimmed the lights and turned the radio off(radio no longer played after I manully closed it, but dash is still effectively on even though dimmed. There is the battery light staying on showing. I have the truck hooked up to a charger right now so as not to drain the battery.

Any thoughts as to what the extreme moisture and humidity in the air could have caused this or where to start looking?
Old 01-16-2016, 08:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Christine. You're farked.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:54 PM
Teching In

No kidding....once she tears down the driveway heading for me I'll know she's pissed about not getting a coat of wax this year (3rd car only really used for pulling)!!
Old 01-17-2016, 12:09 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 759 Likes on 628 Posts

Originally Posted by icprey
I have dimmed the lights and turned the radio off(radio no longer played after I manully closed it, but dash is still effectively on even though dimmed. There is the battery light staying on showing. I have the truck hooked up to a charger right now so as not to drain the battery.

Any thoughts as to what the extreme moisture and humidity in the air could have caused this or where to start looking?
What did you manually close as stated above?

Is this an OEM radio or an aftermarket unit?

What year and make is the vehicle?
Old 01-17-2016, 07:53 PM
Teching In

Yeah I guess that info would be pretty pertinent!!!

Its a 2006 Sierra 1500 xcab SLE with 5.3.

So to try and understand the last time I drove it I had the radio playing. When I was standing outside Sat and heard the radio playing in truck the dash lights were also on. To do my best last night I dimmed the dash lights and pressed the radio power off, but even all was dark the battery light in red was on the there was obviously still a drain being pulled from the dash I assumed(dimmed completely in my head still means there must be a small pull coming from the dash).

So I hook up a charger last night so as not to try and keep the battery afloat. I
Old 01-17-2016, 07:56 PM
Teching In

oops post got cut.

I ran the charger at 2amps and the drain was stronger. Battery was dead this morning. I have unpluggeld the neg from the battery and am now charging this fairly new and good quality battery. Hpe this drain did not kill it for good.

Thats where things stand. Dryer colder air did not seem to alleviate the problem that I'm sure was caused by yesterdays moisture in the air.
Old 01-17-2016, 07:57 PM
Teching In

BTW truck is 100% stock save a hypertech tune adjusted for slight variance in tire size. Tune has been in for years.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Sounds like bad ignition switch..... Had similar issue at work with 05 express van the electrical switch jumped a tooth due to one being worn
Old 01-18-2016, 06:47 PM
Teching In

Both my brothers and a friend at works suggestion. Its nasty here now so I'll start reading up on it.

Also truck was bought used and appears like it may have had a remote starter on it in the past. Freind at work says maybe some relay from that kit stuck open. Not sure where to start looking for that one. Are those boxes always placed under the dash?

Thx guys!
Old 01-18-2016, 07:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Yeah the remote start boxes are usually shoved under the knee bolster, should also be a toggle switch somewhere under the dash... Havent seen a remote start cause the radio/dash to come on, seen weird stuff from remote start but not that...

Quick Reply: PROBLEM: Truck started playing radio out of the blue key out