STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

New cluster upgrade gone bad

Old 02-24-2016, 08:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 764 Likes on 563 Posts
Default New cluster upgrade gone bad

So I recently purchased a new gauge cluster with some US speedo bling on it used. I liked the look and kinda made an impulse purchase. Well I called my dealer after I got it and they said they could program it with the correct mileage and so that it would work with my truck. So I finnally went today to get it done and dropped the truck off with both clusters. within 10 mins of me leaving they called and told me no they cant program the mileage because its used (even tho they said they could when I called and asked) but they could still program it to work with my ecu. I said go ahead thinking I could figure out another way to get the mileage right. 20min later they called and said that my gauge cluster is locked out and wont power on or do anything. Before I took it to them I drove with this cluster in for almost 50 miles over about a week with no problems except that a few of the bulbs needed replacing which I had planned to change the color anyway.

Then they said that they ordered me a new one already and it would be $175 plus installation and taxes. I said NONONO i dont want you to buy me a new one I never authorized that I will not pay for it. They said ok they will cancel the order and my truck will be ready for pickup within the next hour. I went by after work and they tried to charge me $90 to put my broken cluster back in. I told them I refuse to pay and the manager waived it and I left without paying a penny.

Maybe Im stupid but I feel Like I just got ripped off. I took a working cluster to a dealer to get programmed and I leave with a broken one and almost had to pay for them to break it! Are you kidding me! Now I have a $250 paper weight yayy for crappy dealerships.

What do you guys think?
Old 02-24-2016, 10:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Thats horse
Old 02-24-2016, 10:12 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

You can't fault them for a junk cluster.

Some of them have bad solder joints, cracks in the board or lifting of the trace path. If someone worked on it, there is no telling what was done to it unless you open it up.

I have seen people do the same thing. Try to program a used cluster that's not 100% and it takes a dump during reprogramming.

It sucks, but at least they waived it and you didn't have to pay anything.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

Or some retard didnt turm key off before disconnecting and reconnecting and fried something
Old 02-24-2016, 11:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wolftrk99
Or some retard didnt turm key off before disconnecting and reconnecting and fried something
That won't kill it.

This is why you only buy from sellers who can program the new cluster to match your vehicle's VIN.
Old 02-26-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ive swapped several on 04-06 vehicles i had and my local dealer never had a problem. Charged me 40 buck..you can also send them to a guy on ebay and fill out the mileage verification, but youll be sitting without it until one comes in.
Old 02-28-2016, 02:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Sorry for late reply

Dealer pretty much doesnt ever want me to even come back they refuse to admit they did anything wrong and pretty much called me stupid for even buying a used cluster. They have supurb customer service!

I am working it out with the guy I got it from gonna send it back to him and split it 50/50 I guess.

Was trying to support people on here selling used stuff but I probably wont do that agin sucks to lose money and have to fight withh a dealer.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The dealer was an idiot. They flashed new firmware thinking it was a brand new cluster and bricked it in the process... Nothing wrong with used parts if used/installed correctly. I would have made them post for a new one since they broke it.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:43 PM
TECH Junkie

I tried to get them to pay for breaking it but they were still trying to charge me for the time they spent breaking it. I said I'm leaving keep the key I have a spare and started walking out. Thats when they said hang on went in the back talked to the manager and came out and said they will cover it. never going back there ever.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:38 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah GM dealerships are literally the worst. Every single one tried to tell me my 60k mile engine SHOULD tick. I went to FIVE dealerships. FIVE. I don't think I'll be buying another GM truck :p

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New cluster upgrade gone bad