STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

LED Load Resistor Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED Load Resistor Issues

I am in the process of switching all bulbs to LED. I have installed the load resistors on the turn signals and I am still getting hyper flash. My taillights are Spyder LED tails and I am putting the switchback bulbs up front.

Has anybody experienced trouble with getting the hyper flash to go away? I'm about to scrap the load resistors and just go with the hyper flash!

Help and suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 01-10-2016, 01:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 126 Likes on 106 Posts

That will cure the hyperflash ^^^ ... but also FYI you can hack the factory flasher; I've done it on the older cube style flashers from previous generation trucks and they use the same timer IC in them as this newer double unit. I just have to get a good look at the circuit board to see which pin to cut on the IC.

A warning as I just re-read and saw you are planning on using switchbacks. My experience so far has not been good. My truck is generating right at 15V when running, which freaks the switchbacks out and makes the running light function start to flicker wildly. With the engine off, they are perfectly happy at 12V battery power. After some reading it seems common and normal that the newer trucks are just like this. My next step is to try some simple voltage regulators inline with them to see if that helps. For now I just have regular non-switchback LED's up there.

Seriously though the LM487 flasher is the trick; all the exterior bulbs in my '06 are LED. Signals (which I doubled up, eliminating the DRL's), corners, and tail/brake.

Richard

Last edited by someotherguy; 01-10-2016 at 02:00 PM.