STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Bose premium to luxury amp upgrade 03 crew cab

Old 06-18-2016, 11:22 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Bose premium to luxury amp upgrade 03 crew cab

I've got an 03 crew cab 3500 LT. I replaced the factory 6 disc head unit with a killer Pioneer head unit, the sound got a lot better. I'm now going to replace the door speakers and the A pillar tweeters with Pioneer stuff. I was thinking about an 8" Pioneer subwoofer, too. Doing a search on the subject, I found a little information about a significant improvement being possible by upgrading my original premium system Bose amp to a luxury system Bose amp, from a GMC or Cadillac. Can anyone tell me the part number of the best amp(s) for this? Also, the wiring diagrams to do the swap?
Thanks!
Old 06-18-2016, 02:05 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

check here https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...mt800s-496180/
Old 06-20-2016, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would recommend ditching the Bose amp totally. You CANNOT use the Luxury Bose amp with an aftermarket head unit, only the OE Lux head unit or an OE Mid headunit that has been modified (and I haven't heard anything from the guy that was doing the modding for a few years now). The Lux amp requires the head unit to send not only Low-level fixed audio, but a Class 2 databus signal to modulate the audio and EQ options.

A dedicated 4 channel amp and a subwoofer amp will go a much longer ways than any Bose option.
Old 06-20-2016, 05:29 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
I would recommend ditching the Bose amp totally. You CANNOT use the Luxury Bose amp with an aftermarket head unit, only the OE Lux head unit or an OE Mid headunit that has been modified (and I haven't heard anything from the guy that was doing the modding for a few years now). The Lux amp requires the head unit to send not only Low-level fixed audio, but a Class 2 databus signal to modulate the audio and EQ options.

A dedicated 4 channel amp and a subwoofer amp will go a much longer ways than any Bose option.

Interesting. Because according to the tech at Crutchfield, and one of the guys who wrote the tech pages on swapping to the "luxury" Bose amp, both said that my Pioneer head unit, and the PAC GM11 interface I bought with it, both work with the Bose "luxury" amp. All that is necessary is the wiring swap.
Old 06-20-2016, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 3500Silverado
Interesting. Because according to the tech at Crutchfield, and one of the guys who wrote the tech pages on swapping to the "luxury" Bose amp, both said that my Pioneer head unit, and the PAC GM11 interface I bought with it, both work with the Bose "luxury" amp. All that is necessary is the wiring swap.
They were incorrect. That would work fine for the midlevel Premium Bose amplifier which didn't really care about input levels and didn't have a built in DSP. You are welcome to try, but the Lux amp won't work with variable outputs from an aftermarket head unit and won't even power up without the proper Class 2 signal (which the GM11 may or may not provide). The documentation claims to support Premium (not luxury) amps:

• Retains factory BOSE audio systems
  • Retains factory premium BOSE audio (does not support fading)
It wouldn't hurt to test, though (ok, I take that back, you'll probably kill your new Lux amp). Maybe PAC pulled off support for the luxury amps somehow. The fixed level audio voltage is a piddly 500mv, any more makes the Lux amp go poof.

FYI, the Bose Lux amp can only push 55w down the sub channel @ 4ohms minimum load. Not good enough for most aftermarket subs.

Here's the wiring changes needed:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/1UAMV...nsMFl5bgt/edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...J-oNX6Y8U/edit

Last edited by Suburbazine; 06-20-2016 at 06:41 PM.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Although mine isn't a "swap" I did remove my cdx and add an aftermarket radio while keeping my lux amp. Sounds great and the stock amp handles it just fine. I'm also running an aftermarket amp for just the subs though.
Old 06-21-2016, 08:58 AM
Teching In

Maybe the tech guy at PAC is wrong, but I received an email from them this morning saying that the PAC interface and Pioneer head unit I have in my truck are a direct fit for an 06 Escalade, which is what the amp I'm buying came from. I actually found a complete luxury amp, console wiring harness, and luxury subwoofer, with the sound mic, I may go that route, for $35 more than just the amp.

Last edited by 3500Silverado; 12-03-2016 at 10:25 PM.
Old 12-03-2016, 10:25 PM
Teching In

Well, it is together, and it works fine. My biggest complaint is that the Bose amp sends frequencies to low for the speakers out to the door speakers. But it all works fine, and sounds much better than the OE stuff.

I did however install a 400 watt amp, bridged, for the 8" subwoofer. Getting the amp and the subwoofer in the console is a real pain. But I still have all of the storage space behind and under the rear seat.
Old 12-05-2016, 04:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats!!!! Post up some pictures!!
Old 12-07-2016, 12:01 AM
Staging Lane

I had the LUX factory setup in my truck (02 ecsb esky conversion). The console sub still plays. I upgraded to a JVC DD Head unit and utilized factory steering wheel controls. Front speakers in doors are a pieced together component system, rear doors are 6.5 coaxials and I have a pair of subs under the rear seat.

Sad to see how many were hyped about the Bose systems. The sub produces bass, better than nothing, but the door speakers are an absolute joke.

Front door 6.5" Comparison, Bose to American Bass. (Polk dB X-Overs and Massive Audio DT-05 Tweets used for components)
Name:  20150510_145610_zpsy6qtaugb.jpg
Views: 1272
Size:  114.5 KB

And my pair of 6.5" American Bass subs. (Transmission, or T-Line, style enclosure, due to labyrinth venting, subs mounted on outside for room)

Last edited by SilverSquared; 12-07-2016 at 12:09 AM. Reason: pics

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bose premium to luxury amp upgrade 03 crew cab