STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

Battery getting old time for upgrade.

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts
Default Battery getting old time for upgrade.

My truck has a regular old AC delco battery thats getting weak and I fear it may leave me stranded some time soon. I want to replace it but I want to upgrade at the same time. I have dual Odyessy 980CCA in my car and those things kick serious *** but they are way to big to fit in factory location and cost almost $300 each.

What should I do?

-Dual batteries would be sweet but I will be moving south soon and shouldn't have to fear negative temps. would still like to see some dual setups you guys have done!

-Whats the largest CCA AGM battery that will fit in factory location. (Not optima they suck now)

-Should I do a big 3 upgrade to the wiring? if so any good kits out there?

-Anyone do a battery relocation to clear up more engine bay space? I have mounted batteries in custom boxxes under the bed with a little hatch before and also made a battery box built in to a tool box. But any other ideas would be great!

-Any other worthwhile upgrades?

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recommend XS Power AGMs. I'm running a D1400 in my truck right now (I run 15.3v) and all the XS batteries are pretty tough. I even have one with a crack in the side (I glued it) where UPS dropped it and it still works like new. I'm about to go dual underhood once I get all my stuff together, also going with a remote jump plug.

Don't worry about CCA with XS, it's much higher than rated. If you go by some other manufacturer's standards, the XS D1400 puts out close to 1100 CCA. When I start my truck the headlights don't even flicker.

As far as Big 3 it's always a good idea, but since I use multiterminal batteries I leave the stock starter and ground wires and tap off the top posts with 0 gauge. A bigger alternator is a great upgrade too, I'm running a 320A custom hairpin billet case alternator, puts out 170A at idle and the most I've been able to load (not enough hands for loaders) at speed is 270A.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 06-09-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a 800cca AC delco battery in my truck. It is still very strong after 3 years and tons of miles. I run lots of extra fun stuff with no problems and it was the cheapest battery I could find at the time to boot.

I think the big3 is a good idea for anyone adding extra electronics over stock. (Subs, amps, tv's, efans, lightbars, big fuel systems, nitrous, etc)

Last edited by gamble686; 06-09-2016 at 02:30 PM.
Old 06-09-2016, 11:59 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 761 Likes on 630 Posts

I have had good luck with the Ac Delco's as well and run them in everything I own.

Realistically though is anything modified on your vehicle as far as the electrical system goes? Just trying to determine if its worth the extra cost.

I have heard good things about the XS mentioned as well as the Odyssey Despite the cost. They can be run sideways and upside down if needed.

As mentioned the big 3 is always helpful but I would strongly recommend running a fused link or circuit breaker between the alternator and the battery. The factory runs a special wire that acts as a fusible link. You don't want it to keep supplying power in an accident or if that circuit is overloaded.
Old 06-09-2016, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually the only reason the factory runs the fusible link on the alternator is because the stock rectifier bridge can supply more power than it can tolerate, burning it out rather rapidly. The fusible link's sole purpose is to prevent a rectifier failure in the event of accessory overload. The stock Delco rectifier can supply 170A or so, but it rapidly overheats when approaching 130A due to inefficient cooling in the stock alternator.

Fusing the alternator lead generally causes more electrical meltdowns than it saves if you're using a higher output alternator than stock.
Old 06-11-2016, 10:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 766 Likes on 564 Posts

Not much electrical add ons yet besides remotestart and an alarm. But I go camping alot and I'm a primadona so I rely heavily on my trucks power system. Plus I hate being stranded because of a dead battery.

Eventually I will add some big 7in HID off road lights, a power converter in the bed, 2 JL 13TW5s and possibly a winch.

Whoa those XS batteries aren't cheap but they look nice and have great reviews.
I would love to do a high output alternator swap as well but when I did my last swap I used a bigger OEM one because I have heard horror stories about after market alternators.

How long have you had yours?

when you do your dual set up is there a specific kit your going with or just piecing it together yourself. I used a painless kit before with a shut off switch and it truely was cake to install.
Old 06-11-2016, 02:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

I have an Odyssey in my old 05 Sierra and another in my 2015 Silvy.... both work fantastic. Both are the oem size and plopped right into place..... but no they are not a cheap battery as you know.

I have a 8 or more year old Deka that I keep kicking around as a winch battery... it's awesome too and works great.

The 05 went through a Delco a year and that was with it on the road and running constantly. After about 12 months time I could leave it for a few days and dead..... test the battery..... bad cell. Put the Odyssey in 2 years and haven't had it die yet...... even if it sits for 2 or 3 months without touching the truck.

My 2015 made a 600 mile trip from the dealer home, sat for 6 days and was so dead it clicked the solenoid. Said F that to Delco and went Odyssey..... sits sometimes weeks and not a problem now.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

If you have a remote start and let the truck sit for extended periods it will put a draw on the battery.... Ive been running bosch batteries, and havent had much of an issue but i also have a decent warranty on them, and i did kill one while my truck was down being rebuild, probably due to being set on a concrete floor in subfreezing temps for a somewhat long, cold winter for this area!! Which isnt really saying much, it got down to single digits for about three days that winter and teens for a week, rest of it was low 30s....
Old 06-12-2016, 10:13 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 103 Likes on 74 Posts

My trucks are all oem... it's just Delco batteries are junk. On other boards I frequent it's not uncommon to be like my 2015 was and dead right off the lot. They aren't what they used to be... my 92 Chevs original battery went 12 years... good luck getting that with one now lol.
Old 06-13-2016, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by dantheman1540
Not much electrical add ons yet besides remotestart and an alarm. But I go camping alot and I'm a primadona so I rely heavily on my trucks power system. Plus I hate being stranded because of a dead battery.

Eventually I will add some big 7in HID off road lights, a power converter in the bed, 2 JL 13TW5s and possibly a winch.

Whoa those XS batteries aren't cheap but they look nice and have great reviews.
I would love to do a high output alternator swap as well but when I did my last swap I used a bigger OEM one because I have heard horror stories about after market alternators.

How long have you had yours?

when you do your dual set up is there a specific kit your going with or just piecing it together yourself. I used a painless kit before with a shut off switch and it truely was cake to install.
I've had my XS about 2 years, the alternator is about a year old now. As far as alternators go there are really only 2 manufacturers in the business right now making good ones, Mechman and QualityPower. Mechman has a name and a price boost as a result of being in high demand in the audio community, QualityPower uses all the same components but isn't as big a "name brand". They also don't laser-etch their name into fancy powder-coated housings haha.

I building my own dual kit out of 1/0 welding wire, fusion terminals and heat treated Flexo fire retardant sleeving. I'm planning on using flag fusion terminals on the auxiliary battery to jump straight on to the jumper terminal on the front bumper.

HID Off-Road lights are a thing of the past, any decent LED light bar will dominate them.

Quick Reply: Battery getting old time for upgrade.