STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

backup camera RCSB

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2017, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 68 Likes on 61 Posts
Default backup camera RCSB

hey all

i just put a touch screen in my 04 RCSB was really missing the hands free, bluetooth audio & backup camera, i tow a lot and miss it when hooking up the trailer

where is every one mouthing the backup camera's? i was thinking in the bed in the space between the bumper and tailgate but think a lot of the view would be blocked? I have a raised hitch so right under the bumper between the hitch mounts is out would just see the ball since i never take the ball mount out

whats my options?
Old 01-08-2017, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 765 Likes on 564 Posts

I think the factory toyota tacoma cameras are stuck in right under the tail gate handle. They work really well they angle so you can see the hitch perfectly and its a breaze to hook up a trailer by yourself. I am interested in what you end up with been wanting to do this for awhile.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 58 Likes on 46 Posts

I had the camera in between tailgate and bumper in the sheet metal, and the view wasn't terrible but it made it a pain to use during the day time because of the light sensitivity being set in a shadow.

Now I have that same exact camera mounted in the middle of my license plate and it's awesome. Great visibility and range of view. I don't have a trailer hitch so I cant comment on hooking up a ball to a trailer

Name:  IMAG1245_zps9awqtic2.jpg
Views: 202
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  IMAG1244_zpsjaskh6k9.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  131.8 KB

I was using the c clamp to push the bumper pad back down from previous owners screw up

Name:  IMAG1246_zpsf79stwlt.jpg
Views: 199
Size:  128.1 KB
Old 01-11-2017, 08:59 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a company called cubbycam that has one molded into the tailgate handle trim piece. Keeps it out of the way and provides a great view.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

cubbycam handle is $389, i'm to cheap to pay that

i've been thinking the plate but not sure if its actually legal? thanks for the tip on the lighting issue with mounting it in the bed! been thinking about in the tailgate protector

its been to cold and wet here in Illinois to really even mess with

Last edited by stroker87; 01-11-2017 at 11:40 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stroker87
cubbycam handle is $389, i'm to cheap to pay that

i've been thinking the plate but not sure if its actually legal? thanks for the tip on the lighting issue with mounting it in the bed! been thinking about in the tailgate protector

its been to cold and wet here in Illinois to really even mess with
I'm with you, way to cheap to pay that but it is a nice piece. Where I live in Florida I got ticketed for mounting one in the license plate on my tow truck.
Old 01-11-2017, 07:28 PM
TECH Resident

I'm sure it's illegal, but who cares, most of our mods are illegal in one way or another. I put it in the state of Texas symbol so it's not obvious unless you're looking right at it from a few feet away or less
Old 01-12-2017, 08:28 AM
Launching!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What's wrong with these? They bolt right up. Get a wireless transmitter and you're all set. I just did this on my vette and spent like 30 bucks all together, as soon as it warms up my trucks getting it too.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2KRedSilverado
What's wrong with these? They bolt right up. Get a wireless transmitter and you're all set. I just did this on my vette and spent like 30 bucks all together, as soon as it warms up my trucks getting it too.

i'm just not a fan of that style but it is the simplest for sure!

Originally Posted by ILuvJDM
I'm sure it's illegal, but who cares, most of our mods are illegal in one way or another.
because all my other illegal mods i'd hate to get pulled over for that and have them find the others lol my plate is all numbers so if i did that its be an eye sore (very noticeable) illinois plates are white with blue numbers and letters

Old 01-12-2017, 10:18 AM
TECH Resident

yeah, definitely impossible to hide it in those plates. you're limited to the handle, or you could get the "step" type tailgate cap and put it in there so it's angled down