STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

All speakers work when hot inside, only tweeters work when cold?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you've got the radio removed, put a AA battery to the + and - terminals of one of the speaker wires at the deck. If it's cold and you hear them 'pop' a little due to the voltage, then your wiring is fine and I have no idea what's wrong. This will at least eliminate anything on the deck/head unit end of the troubleshooting. I wasn't aware the LS trucks has separate tweeters usually. Is the tweeter that you're hearing part of a 2-way speaker all mounted in the door, or is it in a different location?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:03 AM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It has to be something common to the whole system...I'll bet that there's poor pin fitment in a junction block or connector somewhere. The circuit is open when cold, but as it warms up the male and female pins make contact...just my guess...
Old 09-21-2012, 07:00 PM

Angry 2004 Silverado LS Front Speaker problem

I to have a problem sorta like this. My front speakers are intermittent. I start up truck and speakers do not work, but, after driving for awhile they come on startling me. The scenario is the same. When cold no worky, when warm(hot) they work. I pulled radio no connection problem. Pulled door panel. One thing I noticed was, it started happening after I had a very slight front connection with another vehicle. Was under 3 mph.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

speakers are crap in newer trucks put a set of good aftermarkets in and you will be fine. Usually a voice coil shorts out and the radio goes into protect mode killing either the whole side or all audio outputs it varies.
Old 09-24-2012, 11:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see people using search!

Really though. Grab a set of $50 aftermarkets and call it a done deal.
Old 09-27-2012, 06:02 AM
Staging Lane

It sounds like one of the wires is bad,probably in the doors themselves. Start by checking your connections at the speakers, look for corrosion, evidence of excessive moisture, etc. then check where they move into the cab, everywhere there is a grommet, finally, check the connections at the radio. Check the pins in the connectors too (if using a factory harness).

My guess is that a pin is loose in one of the connectors in the doors. Honestly it's just a shot in the dark, but that's where I would start and it only takes 5mins.
Old 09-29-2012, 06:57 PM
Teching In

hmmm my 05 crew cab has the same issue. only front driver side speaker works completely. passenger side is very faint and rears not at all this just started now that its getting cold out

Last edited by banjoman; 09-29-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 08-25-2016, 10:22 PM

Default stereos working only when hot

hi guys,

did you have any real culprit on why these gm trucks and cars "stereos work only when hot" issue? i just had the same recent problem with my 06 envoy. same issue. only tweeters during a not so hot inside temp.

please advice
Old 09-07-2016, 05:04 PM

Do these truck have factory amplified systems like a Bose or something?
Old 12-14-2016, 05:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

There is a factory amp, on passenger side, wedged between glove box and heater housing.
It is broken, and interupts audio signal to speakers.

Quick Reply: All speakers work when hot inside, only tweeters work when cold?????