STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

07 Yukon Denali Bose, no nav, upgrades?

Old 03-14-2016, 04:39 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 Yukon Denali Bose, no nav, upgrades?

Not looking for anything drastic, already blew out one of the rear door speakers so that's priority 1.

I've looked at several options to add bluetooth but I think I'm more lost now than when I started, lol...More interested in streaming audio then phone calls and I think it's retarded to add a mic when the damn thing already has one. The front aux audio has a whine that drives me kinda crazy...It's ok when listening to something loud but if I listen to a podcast or even something just little more mellow it I hear it over everything.

Oh and where the hell is the sub on this thing, I assumed it was in the back, but the more I listen and screw with it I think it may be up front.

Last edited by Slow91z; 03-14-2016 at 04:48 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Slow91z
Not looking for anything drastic, already blew out one of the rear door speakers so that's priority 1.

I've looked at several options to add bluetooth but I think I'm more lost now than when I started, lol...More interested in streaming audio then phone calls and I think it's retarded to add a mic when the damn thing already has one. The front aux audio has a whine that drives me kinda crazy...It's ok when listening to something loud but if I listen to a podcast or even something just little more mellow it I hear it over everything.

Oh and where the hell is the sub on this thing, I assumed it was in the back, but the more I listen and screw with it I think it may be up front.
Bluetooth is very difficult to "splice in" on a Bose sound system. It's really easier to tear it out and put something dedicated in. The mic that is already present is part of Onstar and cannot be reused to make phone calls (outside of Onstar's calling service). The subwoofer is going to be in the front console near your right kneecap.
Old 03-14-2016, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Well I found this that takes the place of your onstar box, and I think uses the stock mic...But I read a review that the sound quality might not be stellar and that would be priority over calls and mics costartech.com - BlueSTAR

There were a few that I have seen (2 on crutchfield for starters) that plug in where your xm, maybe they sound better since that's a audio input to begin with.

I could care less about xm or onstar, but I have rear entertainment and I'd like to retain the ability to let the people in the back watch a movie while I'm upfront listening to whatever I want.
Old 03-16-2016, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

From the little bit of research I have done it appears the stock bose speakers are 1.9 Ohm.

So I think I'm going to buy Infinity Reference 6032cf 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com for the rear doors as they are 2 Ohm and I doubt I will be able to blow them out as I have done fairly quickly with the paper factory speakers.

Does anyone know for sure if the front (or rear for that matter) door speakers on the bose system are full range, or mids only? I'm debating on whether I want to use the same speaker I posted in the front doors, or buy a component set and replace the pillar tweeters as well...and now that that has occurred to me I suppose I could do the same thing in the rear and replace the rear pillar tweeters...I wouldn't bother to do something like that if the door speakers run the highs as well, so if anyone knows I'd love to hear it.
Old 03-17-2016, 12:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

From the little bit of research I have done it appears the stock bose speakers are 1.9 Ohm.

So I think I'm going to buy Infinity Reference 6032cf 6-3/4" 2-way car speakers — also fit 6-1/2" openings at Crutchfield.com for the rear doors as they are 2 Ohm and I doubt I will be able to blow them out as I have done fairly quickly with the paper factory speakers.

Does anyone know for sure if the front (or rear for that matter) door speakers on the bose system are full range, or mids only? I'm debating on whether I want to use the same speaker I posted in the front doors, or buy a component set and replace the pillar tweeters as well...and now that that has occurred to me I suppose I could do the same thing in the rear and replace the rear pillar tweeters...I wouldn't bother to do something like that if the door speakers run the highs as well, so if anyone knows I'd love to hear it.
The Bose door speakers are full-range cones...but the amplifier DSP does some frequency notching to kill off <120hz, dip 550hz, kill >7Khz. You can put aftermarket speakers in, but it will throw off the system sound and you may get some phasing. The Bose amp (which runs ALL the speakers and the sub, FYI) can only do 18 watts per speaker channel (x4), 3 watts for front pillar tweeter channels (x2, crossover from front speaker channels), 4 watts for the rear pillar twiddler channels (x2, crossover from rear speaker channels) and 70 watts to the sub.

The Bluestar thing looks interesting, but I can assure you the Onstar mic quality is super sucky. Have you ever placed a handfree call using Onstar? It's amazing that the service reps can differentiate you from a robot toad. Also, BlueStar totally disables Onstar, including stolen vehicle tracking and emergency services deployment after a crash.

Last edited by Suburbazine; 03-17-2016 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
The Bose door speakers are full-range cones...but the amplifier DSP does some frequency notching to kill off 7Khz. You can put aftermarket speakers in, but it will throw off the system sound and you may get some phasing. The Bose amp (which runs ALL the speakers and the sub, FYI) can only do 18 watts per speaker channel (x4), 3 watts for front pillar tweeter channels (x2, crossover from front speaker channels), 4 watts for the rear pillar twiddler channels (x2, crossover from rear speaker channels) and 70 watts to the sub.

The Bluestar thing looks interesting, but I can assure you the Onstar mic quality is super sucky. Have you ever placed a handfree call using Onstar? It's amazing that the service reps can differentiate you from a robot toad. Also, BlueStar totally disables Onstar, including stolen vehicle tracking and emergency services deployment after a crash.
I'm not particularly interested in making it louder, it's plenty loud for me, a bit more thump on day maybe but nothing much...really just don't want it to destroy itself again.

Now when it comes to throwing itself off and phasing, I'm not sure I'm following you...they are just speakers it's not like I'm cutting into the wires to add speakers and leaving some of them powered by the bose and some not or some crazy stuff like that.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:29 AM
On The Tree

On and in regards to the Onstar, I got ya on the mic, I'll skip that altogether...but for the record they can take the whole Onstar thing and shove it.

Maybe I sound like a tin foil hat guy, but I don't like it, I don't like what they can do with it, and it's on of the reasons it took me this long to get a newer vehicle.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

On and in regards to the Onstar, I got ya on the mic, I'll skip that altogether...but for the record they can take the whole Onstar thing and shove it.

Maybe I sound like a tin foil hat guy, but I don't like it, I don't like what they can do with it, and it's on of the reasons it took me this long to get a newer vehicle.
That's fine- I cut mine apart and hacked it a bit (removed the cellular hardware in the process) so I can use my laptop to fetch GPS data from the onboard hardware. Way more reliable GPS than a cell phone dependent on the network.
Old 03-17-2016, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Suburbazine
That's fine- I cut mine apart and hacked it a bit (removed the cellular hardware in the process) so I can use my laptop to fetch GPS data from the onboard hardware. Way more reliable GPS than a cell phone dependent on the network.
Oh my!
Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That whine you hear is from a ground loop. Get your self a ground loop isolator if you want better sound from a line in.

They also have bluetooth to aux converters, but they are shi*.
you cold also install audison bit 10 or a rockfordfosgate 360 to give yourself bluetooth streaming capabilites, but the install is pretty taxing along with the price of those units.

Or just buy and aftermarket radio that has everything you want....