First Post

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 11:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey y'all.

We're coming, we're coming!

This looks like a pretty decent forum and I like the attitudes that I've seen so far. My friends drive everything from STis to Cobras, Lightnings to Chevelles, Vettes to Cudas. I'm a Mopar guy but love all performance vehicles.

I answered a few of the performance questions you have about stock SRT performance in the "Where Are All the SRT Owners At???" thread.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:49 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to the site Big Asp.

You have some long roads out in UT right? What is the top speed on those SRT-10's?
Old 07-13-2005, 08:25 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, Utah has a lot of long, straight roads but you have to be careful. There are a lot of local deputy sheriffs working them to suppliment their county's budgets. What's even more fun are the nice twisties up through the mountain canyons and the red rock deserts.

The top speed record was set in an '04 SRT-10 at an average speed of 154.5 mph at the Chrysler Proving Grounds. That was averaging back to back laps. The '04s have 4:10 gears. Mine is an '05 and has 4:56s. Don't know just how much that affects top speed. Several guys say they have pegged the 160 mph speedometer. One guy in Germany drives his at 130 to 155 mph regularly on the Autobahn. He says no one over there has ever heard of an SRT-10 and are quite amaze to see him driving a big American truck that fast. I had mine up to just over 120 mph by accident just after break-in while adjusting the attitude of a kid in a 4th gen Tran Am. I wasn't used to the truck yet and thought I was only going 80 or 90 until I looked down. Oops! That's faster than I care to drive on the street.

Your truck has an interesting set-up. What differences have you noticed with your upgraded cooling system?
Old 07-13-2005, 06:18 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The only thing I really wanted to do with the cooling system was get the electric fans on in place of the stock clutch fan. In order to get the biggest fans made for our trucks on I had to swap out my stock 1500 series "small" radiator for the 2500 series trucks "big" radiator. It is a direct swap(same hoses and all). Since I had the cooling system drained for the radiator install I went ahead and changed out the thermostat with a cooler unit. I've noticed over the years that the LS1 style engines tend to get a little Knock Retard once they creep up into the mid 190 degree range so I figured the lower stat might help keep the temp down.

Overall, I noticed a nice increase in engine response but, I think that was mainly due to the electric fans which is why I wanted to put them on so it all worked out. The temperature stays well below 190 now also which is nice.

Wow, that was a long post about my cooling system.

What do the SRT-10's run for a fan(electric/clutch)? Do you guys have any overheating problems like I've heard the Vipers used to have?

I hear ya on going fast on the street. I've had my truck to around 128mph and will never do that again. It's just too fast for the roads and I wouldn't want to hurt anyone else doing anything stupid, plus it takes my truck too long to get there with the little 5.3L in it.

Last edited by XLR8NSS; 07-13-2005 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:24 AM
Teching In

It sounds like you put a lot of work and thought into you cooling system. I'm sure you're getting a lot more advance out of your computer now with the lower temps, Add that to less draw on the engine to turn the fan and that always means more beans where it counts.

We have a unique fan system in the SRTs that actually uses hydralic power to turn the fan from the PS pump. It seems to work fine on my truck but there are some guys in hotter locales that are trying to suppliment the stock system with an electric pusher fan. There is a new two fan electric system coming out soon to replace the stock one but it's too soon to tell if there are any real advantages.

Glad to hear that you think like I do about too fast on the street. A 12 year old boy was killed a few blocks from my house 2 weeks ago. A guy on a crotch rocket was ripping through traffic and gunned it when the light turned yellow. The 12 year old's mother was turning left from the opposite direction and never saw the bike. He t-boned her and hit right where the boy was sitting. The biker died but took the boy with him. It makes you stop and think.