Notices
Silverado SS, Joe Gibbs Editions, SSR Suspension | Wheels | Tires | Drivetrain |Engine | Body | News

SSC Silverado

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

The 323 vs 325 is due to improper rounding. The bore and stroke have not changed since the 5.3's inception. In fact, the only things that have changed are block material (iron/alluminum), rod strength, piston skirt coating, piston top shape, and head castings. None of those effect the engine size.

Displacement is 5.3 L (5,328 cc (325.1 cu in)) from 96.01 mm 3.78 inch bore and 92.00 mm stroke 3.622 inch stroke

I've got parts catalogs that list the LS1 as a 350, does that mean there were 2 different LS1 engines made 97+? no...

also, best 4 year old quote ever

Originally Posted by 00Silv4.8
if it looks like that blue 1 someone posted in a link I think he meant "SSB" package... South Side Beaner Silverado...
Old 03-19-2011, 03:32 PM
formerly NORTH TEXAS TBSS, then slowgibbs, and now back to NORTH TEXAS TBSS :) (2012-05-27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

learned something new but....
Old 03-19-2011, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

ewwwww newby on the site got told, think you made him cry scott
Old 05-25-2011, 08:37 AM

So tell me what parts or catalog those numbers came from.. I doubt it listed a "SSC"

On top of that the truck must not exist because many GM dealerships have no knowledge of working on or selling that truck..So again it must not exist..

Ive talked to many experienced master GM techs and they have no clue..

Have you owned one? Do you know what the vin codes are for the motor?

I can pull out any GM book.. If its not listed it must not exist right?

and there are alot of variations of the LS motor and anyone will tell you no two motors are the same..ever
Old 05-25-2011, 08:53 AM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

You would think GM techs, GM dealers, and GM books should know everything. But it's not the case. Go to your local dealer and ask about an SS400 or GMC SS2 and I bet they won't have a clue what they are. That's because a lot of these options are secondary modifications by aftermarket companys or dealerships. Post the RPO option for you "SSC", if it's got one. A lot of dealerships liked to take their V8 RCSB's and try to market them as SS trucks to get them off the lot quicker.

You also said your truck was VIN code Z. Which is the regular 5.3 flex fuel engine which comes in tons of trucks, tahoes, and suburbans through those years. I told you before, the only differences between years of 5.3s are subtle external changes. The block has stayed the same, they are all interchangeable. You CANNOT rely on catalogs for details like this. Like I said before, I've seen the LS1 listed as a 350 multiple times in catalogs, even engine part catalogs such as Meiling and Sealed Power.

Even if GM does have seperate listings or numbers for the 323 vs 325 engine, the actual block itself is not different. Unless you can show me some real evidence of this change, I'll stick with what I know.

Last edited by 00ChevyScott; 05-25-2011 at 09:08 AM.
Old 05-25-2011, 01:43 PM
Teching In

a good buddy of mine actually owned an "SSG sierra" whether its a dealer package or what i have no clue all i know is it had stickers on the driver an passenger door that said SSG Sierra and there was a corsa catback exhaust & a set of 20" gm wheels installed on the truck when he bought it. the truck was previously owned by a local guy who bought the truck new as it was with all those addons installed. There was also a Pro Sport silverado that his business partner bought from the same dealership. I then later on saw a
GMC Sierra that said SST on the side and also had a corsa catback and a set of 20" gm wheels. where all these stickers and trucks with corsa catbacks and 20" wheels came from i have no clue because ive never heard of them all i know is i saw them...
Old 06-12-2011, 03:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SSC is a bs dealership sticker package. I saw trucks like that all the time at my old job and got tired of argueing with owners over their "special" trucks everytime they came to my dealership for parts. A dealer bought the biggest ugliest wheels they could find, installed a goofy exhaust and proceeded to charge a 300% markup on those parts after they applied random decals. We did packages like that all the time and stupud people bought them thinking it was some valuable one-off rarity for an extra $8k.

Is your truck rare? No

Is it more valuable than any other RCSB v8 silverado? No

Did you believe everything you were told, pay too much for tasteless mods and refuse to admit it? YES
Old 04-05-2012, 11:09 AM

Originally Posted by RIPPEDK5
SSC stands for "Super Sport Clone"

that truck does not look like a true SSC

because the 'SSC' badging was put up front toward the lower front fender,

Aswell as they came with a 2 into 1 into 2 stainless steel exhaust.

I also see a difference is those rims are not the original on an SSC.

Lastly, at least in the northern region, all SSC's were extended cab trucks with a 2" lowering from the factory.

I too was able to purchase an SSC. It came with a different style 5.3L V-8 Vin Z flex fuel 325ci (and not the 323ci)

From GM the rims should be 6 spoke smooth 20" running 275/55/R20 tires.

These should also have a 10 bolt rear axle with 3.42 gears and a posi type locking differential

I have studied this truck, torn down and rebuild mine and others, and there are less than a few handfulls made

(note: 2005 being the only years the SS wasnt produced)

Wrong they did make SS'S in 2005... i own one, not to kick up an old thread but had to correct this.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:50 AM
Teching In

My SSS is an 05 AWD..
Old 12-06-2012, 01:38 AM
Teching In

I also have a 05 AWD SSS. This newb doesn't know jack.

Quick Reply: SSC Silverado