THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

Safety Flash: Eye Injury, Wire Wheel Grinder

Old 11-10-2009, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Safety Flash: Eye Injury, Wire Wheel Grinder

I got this over an email at work ......

A worker wearing safety glasses was using a grinder with a wire wheel to clean some metal.
He stopped grinding, took his glasses off and saw a spot he had missed. He picked up the wire wheel and
turned it back on but failed to put his safety glasses on.
A loose strand flew up from the spinning wire wheel and hit him squarely in his left eye.
He was taken to a local medical centre where they performed surgery some four hours later to remove the wire.
During his recovery he swallowed vomit into his lungs and was placed into intensive care for a day. He was
released from hospital after 3 days and is expected to make a full medical recovery but will require either
glasses or contact lenses to correct his vision.
The following photograph will make the ophthalmology text books, the wire strand had punctured his eye to a
depth of 13mm.
Lesson Learned:
This incident will convince you to wear your PPE or nothing will.
This is an extreme case where failure to use eye protection could have been life threatening.

Old 11-10-2009, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yup safety is a big thing at work, must ALWAYS wear your PPE it just aint worth it..... always remember to wear it at home aswell, a coworkers brotherlaw was also injured in the eye like that at home when doing his yard work with the weedeater....
Old 11-10-2009, 08:07 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, in Eric's situation too. Kind of thought why he didn't have glasses on, but then the part that blew off the line was so rusted and corroded...
Old 11-10-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Enthusiast

damn thats scary i use wire wheels everyday at work but usually im wearing my speedglas
Old 11-10-2009, 08:38 AM

Received 216 Likes on 146 Posts

wire brushes and grinders are about the only thing i wear glasses with. i admit im guilty.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:49 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn. Once my cousin got a metal shaving thrown into his eye from grinding, it had to rust before they could get it out so they could see it well enough.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:58 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

i dont like wearing safety glasses at work but i do. seeing that picture made my eyes hurt
Old 11-10-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i guess we are more strict here at Motiva, gotta wear safety glasses with a face shield when doing any type of grinding or buffing!!
Old 11-10-2009, 10:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by skeet
i guess we are more strict here at Motiva, gotta wear safety glasses with a face shield when doing any type of grinding or buffing!!
that is our rule for the maint. dept at our plant as well..... they have gotten real strict on safety here lately....
Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 AM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by charcoal03silvy
Damn. Once my cousin got a metal shaving thrown into his eye from grinding, it had to rust before they could get it out so they could see it well enough.
That happened to me about 12 years ago. It hurt for 3 days before it could be removed. Then the funnest part was holding my eyelid open and literally watching a needle dig out the metal frag.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Safety Flash: Eye Injury, Wire Wheel Grinder