Notices
GMT 800 & Older GM General Discussion 2006 & Older Trucks | General Discussion
View Poll Results: E-fans:What brand & why?
'05 E-fans
61.54%
LT1 fans from?
3.85%
LS1 fans from?
26.92%
Spal
0%
Another aftermarket brand
7.69%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

E-fans? Which 1 did u go w/. & why?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-fans? Which 1 did u go w/. & why?

I've had a mysterious coolant leak. It's not coming outta the w/p weep hole. So, in readin posts on PT, I thought it was comin from a faulty coolant level sensor. Dealer told me yesterday that sensor (goes on bottom of coolant reservoir) is non-sertviceable part. Buyin the tank @ $70 is how u get it. So, how are u guys gettin them then? Must be used.

Anyway, in talkin to budhayes, he told me of the water pump gaskets being a problem. Seems to make sense, since that's where the coolant is on pavement. So, for $12 I got em. Asked on sensor for kicks.

Billy said only thing that may be a hassle is gettin clutch fan off. I said, I'd forgotten bout that. I said I didn't wanna dink w/. that twice. So that brings up this post. Coolant leak is gettin worse, so I don't have much time.

E-fans: What did ya get & why? How much did ya spend? I kinda like a factory look, but w/. efans it's not a necessity.

I see these as the options:
-'05 efans, which would req. a 34" radiator, right?
-LT1 fans outta?
-LS1 fans outta?
-Flex-a-lite?
-Spal or another aftermkt. setup?

Cost breakdown if known. Links would be cool, if possible. Please take poll too.

I plan on throwin a cooler T-stat in too. Where did y'all source yours from?

I'll tune w/. HPT.

Last edited by fastnblu; 10-17-2009 at 01:35 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Dezert1500, thx for PM! That's fast. Only 3 minutes after postin thred. I didn't even have the poll up, I think.

I have yet to read all 4pgs, but whatdaya figure ya spent? Did u tune?

I won't be doin the alt. & battery tho.

And, didn't u use a 34" rad, not a 32?" Or do I have my numbers mixed up?
Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LS1 fans cuz they are cheap and reliable...

I forget how much I got them from but I got them here from classifieds...I used a nelson harness as well

Last edited by JakeBrakeIH; 10-17-2009 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 01:54 PM
TECH Addict

I went with the 08' fans (seven blades on each fan instead of 7/5). I had to fab up a custom bracket to mount it on the 8.1L but you wont have to worry about that. Just pick up the larger radiator, the eFans, and an OEM wiring harness that comes with the relays and all built right in. Or make your own harness, just make sure to utilize both high and low speeds with both pins in the PCM.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

To those that respond, please let me know costs are what ya did, hi or low. It may influence my choice. If it's lower than I expect, I might be able to do this while I fix leak as opposed to doin it later.

Where are u sourcing your LS1 e-fans from?
My guess is outta an Fbody. Cause as soon as u say Vette @ a salvage yard, the cost just went up.

Oh ya, I prolly get the Nelson harness.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i got the ls1 fans from a fellow member for like 90 bucks and harness from blackbear
Old 10-17-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
To those that respond, please let me know costs are what ya did, hi or low. It may influence my choice. If it's lower than I expect, I might be able to do this while I fix leak as opposed to doin it later.

- 08' efans from ebay for $199
- Make your own harness for $25, buy one from someone else for $100, or pick up and OEM harness for $160.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Whippled 496
I went with the 08' fans (seven blades on each fan instead of 7/5). I had to fab up a custom bracket to mount it on the 8.1L but you wont have to worry about that. Just pick up the larger radiator, the eFans, and an OEM wiring harness that comes with the relays and all built right in. Or make your own harness, just make sure to utilize both high and low speeds with both pins in the PCM.
Explain please. Fan blades. OK, so the '08 has 14 blades (2x7); so you're sayin the '05 has 7 blades on 1 & 5 on the other? That would seem to lead to uneven coolin.
I don't mind fabbin brkts if needbe.

Why must u utilize hi & low speeds w/. both pins? Is the hi for when A/C is on?

Honestly, I think I'll do a Blackbear harness; if it was easy enuff, I might would try to make my own. No go on spendin $160 from stealership. That's It'll be 1 of the 1st 2 options.

I appreciate everyone's ideas & opinions. Electrical is not my specialty.
Old 10-17-2009, 02:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Explain please. Fan blades. OK, so the '08 has 14 blades (2x7); so you're sayin the '05 has 7 blades on 1 & 5 on the other? That would seem to lead to uneven coolin.
I don't mind fabbin brkts if needbe.

Why must u utilize hi & low speeds w/. both pins? Is the hi for when A/C is on?

Honestly, I think I'll do a Blackbear harness; if it was easy enuff, I might would try to make my own. No go on spendin $160 from stealership. That's It'll be 1 of the 1st 2 options.

I appreciate everyone's ideas & opinions. Electrical is not my specialty.
From what I understand some of the older eFans were 5/7 and the newer ones were 7/7 blades. Here is my thread on my eFan build, a lot of stuff wont apply to you but it has some good wiring info and such....

https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...d.php?t=438064
Old 10-17-2009, 02:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Whippled, I looked for some wiring pics, but perhaps I missed em. I did find your tables interesting. I'm gonna need to keep that info in mind.

Billy & I were talkin, & IIRC, he spent ~$700 for his whole install. I don't wanna spend that much tho. However, that incl. '05 fans, new 34" rad, w/h, & tune. But I don't need to spend for a tune.

Sprayed99 sent me a PM when I replied to someone's thread a few months ago. Seemed like a really sweet set-up. Offered a GMFS discount, but nothin for us on PT.

Quick Reply: E-fans? Which 1 did u go w/. & why?