THE TRUCK STOP General Chat area. Religion and politics topics will undoubtedly be deleted. Anything over PG-13 is not allowed. WORK SAFE!

handguns and carrying concealed

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yea they are a blast to shoot..
wish i had mine back.
Old 07-15-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fastnblu
At 1st read, it seemed like u were against bird shot; then later refer to how it hits. Is this a con 1st, pro after?
I know a lot of BBs cover area. Buckshot, well not so much area. Wound vs ...
If tryin to hit a target, you're goin for mass anyways, right? A handgun will get mass if u hit; a shotgun just has to get close.
Yeah, I'm against using birdshot for defense purposes. The nasty shallow wound thing only fazes the bad guys, especially when hyped up on adrenaline or drugs. There's tons of anecdotal evidence on its effects in action. Concrete evidence in ballistic gel is the best to see on the internet.

The minimum 12" thing is the measuring stick used by the FBI in most, if not all, firearms due to that being the range at which core organs and the CNS (central nervous system) are reliably injured and/or incapacitated.

Yes, while birdshot may introduce more projectiles per unit area, they don't penetrate very far or cause much catastrophic damage. A minimum of #4 buck is the way to go. Size it according to your surroundings, cause you don't want over-penetration either. 00 Buck can really tear stuff up.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackGMC
True, very true, but i will just stick with my house alarm and get a big dog (Kruster my cat would probably go up to the burglar to make friends). I don't know squat about guns, never even shot one, so I would probably do more harm than good, plus my fiance won't stay in a house that has a gun in it. Plus i don't like guns anyways... Some may call me foolish but that is just my beliefs, I respect the fact that people can own guns and carry them so no beef there, just not for me...
Find a new fiance......................haha, I'm kidding. Seriously though, don't depend on that alarm. Alarms aren't completely worthless, they can act as a deterrent if nothing else but there's a long delay between the alarm going off and police being notified. The dog is a good idea, though. Think about getting a small inside dog that makes lots of noise as well.
Old 07-15-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fastnblu
Kinda small isn't it?
.410 works decent at close range. You can get buckshot and slugs for them, they are fast handling, and like I said, deadly up close.

Originally Posted by PathfinderJr
Yeah, I'm against using birdshot for defense purposes. The nasty shallow wound thing only fazes the bad guys, especially when hyped up on adrenaline or drugs. There's tons of anecdotal evidence on its effects in action. Concrete evidence in ballistic gel is the best to see on the internet.

The minimum 12" thing is the measuring stick used by the FBI in most, if not all, firearms due to that being the range at which core organs and the CNS (central nervous system) are reliably injured and/or incapacitated.

Yes, while birdshot may introduce more projectiles per unit area, they don't penetrate very far or cause much catastrophic damage. A minimum of #4 buck is the way to go. Size it according to your surroundings, cause you don't want over-penetration either. 00 Buck can really tear stuff up.

Home defense shotgun IMO is load the magazine alternating either No. 1 or 00 buck and slugs. A 2.75" 12 gauge No. 1 buck shell has 16 .30 cal pellets; whereas 00 buck has 9 .33 cal pellets. 16 is a lot of lead flying.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:46 PM
High on diesel fumes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I carry an HK USP .40 Compact in a Supertuck IWB holster. Mossberg 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot keeps me company at night, recently mounted a small but surprisingly bright Surefire LED flashlight to it as well. Works fantastic, although I keep it "cocked and locked" with one in the chamber and the safety on. Debated about the noise of racking the slide vs. having it ready to fire all the time.

What do you guys think....leave the safety off but have to rack the slide first, or keep one in the chamber with the safety on? Dave? Interested to hear your opinion especially since you've been through all the training.
Old 07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
Launching!

if you get a dog at all do not i repeat do not get a small dog you will need something that weighs about 75 lbs that way he can take down an intruder or a friend hahaha. My boss has a full trained check german shepard and man he is scarry. Me I love my new 11 month old Great Dane he is a monster! if they make it past him then they have to deal with a plethora of weapons. if he can survive that then damn he should play the lotto
Old 07-15-2009, 06:10 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Corey, lets go to the shooting range sometime. We can bring my shotgun out there
Old 07-15-2009, 06:16 PM
TOWN CRIER

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Oh, the at home weapons are a different story.... my best friend looked at me one time when I opened my safe and said, "When the apocalypse happens, I'm going to your house."
Old 07-15-2009, 06:46 PM
Blown 427 LSX

Originally Posted by thunder550
I carry an HK USP .40 Compact in a Supertuck IWB holster. Mossberg 12 gauge loaded with 00 buckshot keeps me company at night, recently mounted a small but surprisingly bright Surefire LED flashlight to it as well. Works fantastic, although I keep it "cocked and locked" with one in the chamber and the safety on. Debated about the noise of racking the slide vs. having it ready to fire all the time.

What do you guys think....leave the safety off but have to rack the slide first, or keep one in the chamber with the safety on? Dave? Interested to hear your opinion especially since you've been through all the training.
Chris -
I have heard about too many ND's in the middle of the night when you leave one in the chamber... youre tired, adrenaline is rushing, its dark, the variables are just staked against you when you keep it loaded.
This situation is not something a typical person trains for, so you cant know what to expect, why have the odds stacked against you?

Even if joe scumbag gets a jump on you, #1 - you can still use a shotgun like a baseball bat, whether you crack his skull open or just use it to get separation from the bad gun, and #2 if your shotgun is taken away by joe scumbag, he points and pulls the trigger - boom, youre f'd, but if it doesnt have one in the chamber, it gives you a second or two to counter attack while he tries to load it... and #3 when you do rack the gun, the sound will scare him, but it will also make things REAL in your mind, you will gain a focus like youve never experienced before... those of you who have experienced a real life firefight will know what I am talking about (military guys in combat should relate too)...

At the end of the day everyone has their preferences, there are exceptions to the rules, I am just sharing the rules with you. If you train on a regular basis a certain way, and feel confident, dont change anything up... if you dont train regularly, my way (which really isnt my way, just the standard) is most effective with the typical gun owner.

And for the bird shot #4 i suggested, that goes out to the average joe, personally I keep 00 in my shotgun... but I have been training with guns for 30+ years, I know I will hit what I shoot at within 20 feet... if average joe shoots with #4 and misses, he is less likely to kill someone in harms way... even if you do hit the bad guy with a #4 and it doesnt kill him, you still have more shots at your disposal... right?

Old 07-15-2009, 06:55 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

One of these bad boys would work pretty good I'd say

Quick Reply: handguns and carrying concealed