FORCED INDUCTION Turbos | Superchargers | Intercoolers | H2O/Meth Injection

5.3L Turbo Build

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3L Turbo Build

I have a stock 5.3L and its in my ECSB. I'm looking to turbo it and get anywhere from 500-600 HP. This is my daily driver. What i'd like to know is, what would i need to do to my 5.3L to make sure it is strong enough to handle whats to come. The heads (should they be ported, and to what specs?), valvetrain (what springs, lifters, valves?), block (boring, honing, forging required?). What else?

I have a Lunati hydraulic roller tappet cam.
Specs:
Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 282/287
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 218/221
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .526/.534
LSA/ICL: 116/112
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 2000-5000

Would this be a cam that could be used for such an application?

I'm just trying to get as much info as possible to make sure i'm headed on the right track.

Any information and suggestions would be highly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2009, 08:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

#60 injectors and 305lph fuel pump for starters.. a badass tune.. and meth.. gotta have the meth..
Old 01-17-2009, 08:47 PM
2nd fastest 5.3 ECSB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you will need a fully built transmission...
Old 01-18-2009, 10:17 AM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

No real need to port the heads unless you can and the engine is apart already. Cam, big exhaust, a little meth good tune and about 13psi should get you into the 500ish range with a 5.3. I think WJmark is just over 500 with a zo6 cam, meth and 13psi.
Tranny will surely go south in a hurry, so you will need to be looking for an upgrade there.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:52 AM

That cam would wwork out good for a turbo in the power range you are describing. A good tune (and yes, lots of fuel capability) will net you your power expectations on a stock motor. Agree on the tranny... it would need to be something top of line the 4L60E from FLT or better yet entertain a 4L80E swap. You could eventually blow the stock rear end up... consider that. Good luck and hope you wind up on the Dark Side.

I drive my rig daily... take your time,do it right, and you won't be frustrated using your weekends to fix what you hurried up or didn't plan well during installation.

Bill
Old 01-18-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you want to run 13psi, I'd sure invest in some forged internals...at least pistons and a good set of rods. Some type of boost cooler too. I'm sure there are going to be some guys telling you that you can run 13psi all day long on a stock 5.3. That hasn't been my experience. Caveat emptor. If you want anywhere close to 600rwhp with a stock short block, start saving your coins for a rebuild. Find you a new starting point, because there won't be much left of your short block when she blows.

Cam and heads don't matter too much when you have the ability to turn up the boost. Mild LS6 cam and stock heads will get you way beyond your ability to harness the power (and make it live).

As stated above, your tranny won't last long at those power levels. Save yourself time and money and go straight to the '80 tranny.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

alright guys thanks. great information. I planned on taking my sweet time... only because in that time i'll be waiting for my paycheck lol.

i know i'd need a better tranny and rearend. but are you saying a stock 4l80e or built? I know that people are running ~500hp on stock internals, but i planned to go forged anyways. eagle has forged stock sized crank, pistons, and connecting rods i can throw right in. and how would i be able to forge my LM7 if the blocks going to break at 600HP? but thats to come before i even attempt to put boost to it.

I have an extra set of low milage stock 5.3L heads. I'm putting some COMP 7.400" chromoly pushrods, COMP Beehive 918's, COMP Pro-Magnum 1.75 ratio rocker arms. I'm going to put them on the motor when ready. But i was looking to put Manley valves in the heads too. But i couldn't find stock size intake valves. found the exhaust valves. That was one of my reasons for questioning about porting the heads. i just want to feel a little better about doing this although its killing my money!! ha.
Old 01-18-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

[QUOTE=old motorhead;4104545]If you want to run 13psi, I'd sure invest in some forged internals...at least pistons and a good set of rods. Some type of boost cooler too. I'm sure there are going to be some guys telling you that you can run 13psi all day long on a stock 5.3. That hasn't been my experience. Caveat emptor. If you want anywhere close to 600rwhp with a stock short block, start saving your coins for a rebuild. Find you a new starting point, because there won't be much left of your short block when she blows.

I put down 500 rwhp at 8 psi with a STS kit on a completely stock 5.3. It did have LT headers, which probably did not aid or hinder the hp #s. The stock engine will last a long time at that level. 600 rwhp would be completely different though.
Old 01-18-2009, 10:24 PM
Staging Lane

thanks again. yeah, 500-600 is my goal, but if i get it around the 575-600 range what could i do to the block to reinforce it? If possible.
Old 01-18-2009, 11:07 PM
TECH Addict

Forged pistons and rods. Be careful with the tune and do not let it detonate on the stock stuff.

Quick Reply: 5.3L Turbo Build