STEREO & ELECTRONICS Audio Components | Radars | Alarms | General Wiring

New GM center console installed with tweaks...

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New GM center console installed with tweaks...

I'd like to thank JP Customs for helping me out with my project. Those guys were really helpful by recommending the Pac AOEM-GM24 adaptor for a no fuss plug and play solution to run an extra amp with my factory non-Bose RDS stereo. Thanks to the guys here on this forum and for some ideas I picked up over on SilveradoSS.com. Installation is complete and I couldn't be happier. At first I was going to go with a full center console JL Stealth box and a 250/1 Amp. But after spending well over a grand to gather all the parts to assemble a complete factory full center console I decided to try a recommendation posed by a member over on SilveradoSS.com. He pulled the factory Bose sub out, modified the box and fitted a JL 6W0 sub, and installed an aftermarket amp and said it sounded very good. So, before dropping almost another grand on a stealth box and amp I thought I would try this. I got a 6W0 (4ohm) and an Alpine MRP-T220 (bridged mono) to try. Below are the pics...

FWIW, the door, rear section and front bezel section sitting on top do NOT come with the main center console assembly. What does come with the console assembly is a factory wiring harness, Bose sub (including enclosure), and Bose amp. The harness, Bose sub, and Bose amp were carefully removed and will be placed on ebay to help recover some of the cost for the center console...

Pic shows factory Bose sub before I pulled it...

Pic shows the glove box bezel and box assembly that must be changed out to accomodate the factory full console... you'll see the difference what I took out in a following pic.

Pic shows the Alpine amp mounted to the factory console support bracket...

Pic shows the rest of the bracket/support assembly fits right over the Alpine amp. Note that I did modify the A/C ducting that came with the full console in hopes that the A/C port was there under the dash. It wasn't . Oh well, I was doing pretty good with the wiring already available in my truck for the tranny cooler gauge for my new Esky cluster (Thanks JP Customs!) AND wiring support for a plug and play operation when I installed my factory GM turn signal mirror assemblies...

Pic shows the full console on the floor with the new JL sub installed (after modification to the Bose sub box). I wired the center console (with disconnects) so that it could be removed as an assembly if ever necessary either by myself or by my dealership should any warranty issues arise making it necessary to remove. Note the "20" seat/console on the right along with the original glove box bezel/box assembly I removed on the left...

Pic shows final install... looks factory with no subs or amps even remotely within viewing range...

Anyways, just thought I would share and say thanks to the guys here for pointing out what would and would not work. I am very happy with the sound coming from the little JL 6W0... the little sub that could. It compliments the rest of the factory stereo perfectly, IMO.

Bill

Last edited by billreid1@cox.net; 02-22-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-22-2006, 08:18 PM
TECH Resident

Looks Outstanding man !!!! Awesome Install One quick question tho. Did you have to replace the factory AC cover below the glovebox to accomodate the console or did it clear the cover already in the truck?
Old 02-22-2006, 09:20 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's sick! i want to do the same in my truck, where can you get a console and is it hard to un bolt the factory"20" middle seat? are there provisions for bolting the new console down- thanks
Old 02-22-2006, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by SlvrSierra4.8
Looks Outstanding man !!!! Awesome Install One quick question tho. Did you have to replace the factory AC cover below the glovebox to accomodate the console or did it clear the cover already in the truck?
All I did was replace the glovebox bezel/box assembly to get the factory full console to mate up to the dash. I did not replace any of the A/C parts underneath and/or below the glove box. I will probably check into seeing what it will take to modify the A/C ducting under the dash with factory parts to try and get A/C back to the amp. If its too much effort I may not do it. The amp I have inside the console is not all that big and I do not drive my stereo hard. We'll see if the amp survives the Arizona summer...

Bill
Old 02-22-2006, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by TIM Z
that's sick! i want to do the same in my truck, where can you get a console and is it hard to un bolt the factory"20" middle seat? are there provisions for bolting the new console down- thanks
I did it the EXPENSIVE way... ordered all parts through GM... definitely alot of coin even though I can get parts at pretty much at cost. Keep your eyes open for consoles on ebay... or put feelers out to your local salvage yard. I was unwilling to wait and wanted all brand new parts... here are most but not all...

Note that I am not sure if the part numbers correspsond to interior color. I used an 06 Silverado SS's VIN (with the same color interior) to order my parts. I found it a little cumbersome to order the parts through GM because some parts come with some assemblies but documentation doesn't show it. Another thing is some assemblies have documentation that suggests they are complete assemblies when in reality they are not. As an example the rear bezel assembly for the back of the console is supposed to come with an upper insert between the A/C vents and the flip down cup holder... it does not. JP Customs has a picture on their website what I'm talking about in their garage sale section.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:06 PM
TECH Resident

Awesome looking install
Old 02-23-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks perfect, like it came that way!