Notices
Tuning, Diagnostics, Electronics, and Wiring HP Tuners | EFILive | Hand Held Programmers | Stand Alone PCM's | Electronics | Wiring Diagrams

Lean cruise new way to save gas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2005, 01:56 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lean cruise new way to save gas!!!

Here is a great thread on enabling lean cruise. The short of it is that on holden cars its enabled due to the lack of emissions restriction. Whenever you stray from 14.7 hydro carbons go up whether lean or rich so the epa wont let us use it in the US though it has the potential to save gas. Of course HP tuners being the outstanding software company they are have given us the ability to turn this feature on for strictly off road use only , they dont support it though. For those with hpt we could see at least a 1-2 mpg increase so its worth looking into with gas prices.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
Old 08-24-2005, 10:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 02sierraz71_5.3
Here is a great thread on enabling lean cruise. The short of it is that on holden cars its enabled due to the lack of emissions restriction. Whenever you stray from 14.7 hydro carbons go up whether lean or rich so the epa wont let us use it in the US though it has the potential to save gas. Of course HP tuners being the outstanding software company they are have given us the ability to turn this feature on for strictly off road use only , they dont support it though. For those with hpt we could see at least a 1-2 mpg increase so its worth looking into with gas prices.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...6&page=1&pp=20
Good read! I wish I could get 30mpg from my truck!! I would take 24-26 and never complain again.
They lost me once they get into all the tecno lingo but I still see what is possible with our computers on these things.
Maybe its time to make the jump to full blown tuning software and teach myself how to do all this stuff????
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wait4me
Like the old fill the tank with new fuel to reset the Octane scaler internet myth, there appears to be another one gaining popularity. That myth is that Lean Cruise actually functions on non Holden cars, both EFILive and HPTuners have explained that just setting the calibration variables like a Holden will not give Lean Cruise on a non Holden Platform.

For those that can read assmebler code, here's the actual check in the PCM operating code to ensure Lean Cruise will not function unless the vehicle is a Holden.

Cheers,
Ross

moveq #2,d1 ; #2 = Platform is Holden
cmp.b (byte_0_1E5C5).l,d1 ; Check against Platform type in cal
bne.s loc_0_29A96 ; If not the Holden then skip Lean Cruise
jsr sub_0_2F68E ; Jump to Lean Cruise Subroutine

loc_0_29A96:
jsr sub_0_38372 ; Jump to Knock control subroutine

Ross from efilive, the Guy who knows all posted this, And we can prove it.
Now I find this funny because here it looks like he's saying it will not work on non-Holden vehicles. But look here http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...=&#entry139961
There he says it does work and he being doing it on his tunes. http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/in...=&#entry144357

I tried it on mine with the same settings Holden and everyone else says to use but I did not see any kind of increase.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:36 PM
Launching!

You can play with those tables all you want and it will do nothing. It must be enabled in the operating system of you specific vehicle in order for it to make use of the settings in those tables. I saw the thread about the dude with the silverado SS just changing the tables and it was working but I gotta call on that. From what I understand, even if you were to find the hex location to change in the OS to activate it, HPT would not allow you to write that bin to your pcm due to a checksum mismatch. This information comes from someone who can and does activate the function using EFIlive. EFI does not have to play by US rules. I have been on a mission to get this activated on my truck and was one of the main reasons I purchased HPT. Had I known what I know now, I would have went with EFI....
Old 08-24-2005, 09:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

set it up today and it doesnt work I was all excited about saving gas too

logged commanded afr and it never changed from 1.000