Notices
GM Engine & Exhaust Performance EFI | GEN I/GEN II/GEN III/GEN IV Engines |Small Block | Big Block |

All this talk about intakes.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 11:03 PM
? ? ? ? ? ?

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default All this talk about intakes.....

I've been meaning to do this for a while, and today I was feeling a little destructive. I've been really wanting to get a good idea of how the truck intake manifold is setup. So I jumped right in and cut the top off this one:

All air flows into the center chamber, then up and out that oval center hole, then over around to each of the runners. As you can tell, #2 & #7 are pretty far away from the flow hole, while the center runners are right next to it.

I can't see how this intake would have a chance of keeping up with a good flowing intake in the upper rpms.

***Anyone need a used intake with a small hole in the top? I'll include a MAP sensor and evap canister that I crushed with a hammer.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:08 PM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

thanks for being the beta on this one!!

this is an example of real world engineering at its best!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 11:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah,and it's ugly too.
Old 04-19-2004, 11:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you're the man BigTex thanks for doing that
I did this with the stock muffler and took some pics also to find out how they were so quiet (when I got my new angle grinder too -i had to test it out ya know).

You would think 4 and 5 would be the lean cylinders on the trucks as they are the closest to the opening. Instead, 7 seems to be the lean one...?
Old 04-20-2004, 07:30 AM
14 Second Truck Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That thing looks like it would really hurt the airflow!

Bigtex: Do you think the new F.A.S.T intake would be an improvement? They say the runners are taller to help keep the low-end.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:23 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 133 Likes on 88 Posts

I am glad you did that Tex. I have been really curious since I ported my TB. While it was off I used a flashlight to look in it and figure out the flow paths. Now I know.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:29 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I wonder what kind of perfomance you'd get out of that one, heh. Thanks for the sacrafice for science.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:56 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

scarifice for science... I like that. I have a couple of these things, so I figured "why not".

There is a round cap on the back of the intake. At first I tried to get that off, then found that it was either glued or fused in place. I had hoped that the center tube was a seperate part that I could extract from the rear, modify for better flow, then reinstall. No such luck though. Its bascially all from the same mold.

I'm going to test out some different techniques using either glue or heat to put it back together. If I have good results, I'll take another intake, cleanly cut the top off, then really elongate that center flow opening. Then I'll reattach the top and see how it works.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 AM
? ? ? ? ? ?

I think the FAST would have a much better chance of out flowing the truck intake. I think the LS6 would too.
Old 04-20-2004, 03:59 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WoooHooo..Sometimes it feels good to just destroy something doesn't it. I did that with a set of fuel rails just to see what the shiny piece of metal in there was.

After seeing those pics I think I'll go get my LS6 intake/corvette rails and swap them on. Already have the Fbody injector harness taken care of thank goodness.

Quick Reply: All this talk about intakes.....