Notices
GM Drivetrain & Suspension Chassis | Transmission| Driveshaft | Gears/Rear End/Differential | Traction Aids

Plumbing a TruCool

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 09:24 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Plumbing a TruCool

I think I'm going to upgrade my 17k PermaCool trans cooler to the TruCool 40k with cold temp bypass when I get the dough to do my FLT lvl 5 trans swap...I want to protect my investment as best as possible. I'm sure that my current trans cooler will probably be fine, but why take chances right?

Anyway, I'm going to use Russel black nylon braided hose and Russel black and silver AN fittings, question is, what size fittings do I need. I'll need 2fittings to go into the cooler, 1 fitting to go into the radiator, and 1 fitting to go to the hard line back to the trans. The hard line has already been cut and currently has a rubber hose, double clamped, going to it. I have a double flaring tool so that's not a problem. I'm also going to paint the cooler and mounting hardware flat black for that stealth look

Thanks as always!

-Billy
Old 11-29-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most people run the -6 size, I did. They make fitting that go to the hard lines, I cant remember if its 5/16 ro 3/8 though... I went through my factory radiator and just cut the flare off, and used those to get onto those lines and on to the -6

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...-1&showValue=1
Old 11-29-2008, 11:49 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks man, -6 AN was the size I was planning on, I'm hoping someone knows what size fittings are on the cooler, as well as the hard line size, and what size goes into the radiator. I believe that I've read that the radiator fitting is 16mmx1.5, but I'm not sure.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:23 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Anybody have any info on these sizes?
Old 11-30-2008, 09:30 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Don't know about the sizes and stuff, but i would definately suggest getting the thermal bypass. Since you're up north and it looks like you have the stock converter.

My truck, even down here in Texas, in about 80 degree weather, stomping on it alot, with a 4k converter, it doesnt even go over 140-150
Old 11-30-2008, 09:34 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Originally Posted by 00ChevyScott
Don't know about the sizes and stuff, but i would definately suggest getting the thermal bypass. Since you're up north and it looks like you have the stock converter.

My truck, even down here in Texas, in about 80 degree weather, stomping on it alot, with a 4k converter, it doesnt even go over 140-150
Yea I'm definitely going for the thermal bypass, our winters get pretty cold. The needle on the trans temp gauge in my cluster doesn't even move during my drive to work in the morning. I'll be doing a Yank TT3000 when I do the trans...when I work up the money
Old 11-30-2008, 09:38 PM
Wearin' da big hat

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by budhayes3
Yea I'm definitely going for the thermal bypass, our winters get pretty cold. The needle on the trans temp gauge in my cluster doesn't even move during my drive to work in the morning. I'll be doing a Yank TT3000 when I do the trans...when I work up the money
Mine doesn't move off the needle either for awhile. I can drive around all day even in 60-70 degree weather and it will settle around 110-120, and even running unlocked on the highway for 15+ minutes (needs retune for converter still) it will stay very cool.
Old 12-01-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It is a 3/8 INVERTED FLARE going into the cooler (if you have the same cooler as I do...40K GVW Trucool). I had a hell of a time finding a Male 3/8 inverted flare to a male (or female) -6AN . I found one however the inverted flare end was too short. Let me know if you find one. I was able to find a male 3/8 inverted flare to a Female -8AN but I didn't want to mess with it. I ended up using the barbed fittings that came with the cooler and -6 Push Lock hose and fittings until I find my fitting.

Here is the link to the fitting however the damn inverted side was too short!
http://www.tallonhydraulics.com/stor...products_id=16

Keep me posted!
Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 PM
PT's Slowest Truck

Thanks Krambo, that's good info...I didn't see any fittings like you mentioned when I was checking out the Russel stuff on Summit's website. If I can't get the proper fittings to do this the way I want, I may just stick with the cooler that I have now and see how it works.

I saw that pushlock hose, and I've only seen it in blue, does it come in black?
Old 12-02-2008, 11:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by budhayes3
I saw that pushlock hose, and I've only seen it in blue, does it come in black?
I got black -6AN Pushlock hose from Jeggs. I used all 25ft of it as well to go from the tranny to the cooler. Yea, with 25ft there is plenty of leftover however I haven't tucked it all up nice and neat yet so I kept all of the slack. I also turned my fittings on the tranny to face backwards. It was just a bit too tight to come out the front IMHO. Here are how the tranny fittings look:

Quick Reply: Plumbing a TruCool