SHOW & SHINE DISCUSSION Appearance | Detailing | Wheels | Truck of the Month
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old tires; Safe or not for selling??

Old 10-28-2014, 08:55 AM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Old tires; Safe or not for selling??

Hey guys, been a long time since I posted on this forum. Used to have an 04 Silverado that I loved but had to sell to move for a job. (Ended up picking up a 09 G8 GT though so no worries )

Anyway, here's my situation. It's about the old wheels I had on the truck. Yes, I am an idiot for just having these sitting for this long . I sold the truck in 09 and moved to Illinois and my old 22" Centerline Stringrays (thinks that's whay they were called) have just been chilling out in my basement ever since. I think I secretly always wanted to get another 99-06 truck but it just never happened. Now I'm moving to Texas for work again and I can't drag these things with me anymore. So I'll be looking to unload them cheap. (They're not in the best shape anyway.)

But before I post a for sale thread, I wanted to ask about the tires. They're Nitto tires that I think I first bought in 07. They've got maybe 15,000 miles if I remember correctly. But now they've been sitting for 5 years. However, they're in my basement up here so they've been in a cool/dry place.

What do you guys think about the tires? Too old? They look okay, no cracking or anything, but should I remove them from the wheels first? Gonna be difficult to do as I don't have a truck or access to one up here. I guess I'm worried if I sell them as is, that somebody just slaps them on their truck, get driving down the road, and boom, they pop. (Not sure if that's possible but still a fear.) So was just curious what everybody thinks about old tires like this.

Here's some pics of them and what they looked like on my old truck. (Hope someone is still enjoying that truck down in Louisiana )

Old tires; Safe or not for selling??-9wop6lfl.jpg

Old tires; Safe or not for selling??-zz9voiyl.jpg

Old tires; Safe or not for selling??-atxxpagl.jpg

Old tires; Safe or not for selling??-cntexegl.jpg
Old 10-28-2014, 09:11 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The tires are just fine. Obviously let the buyer know how old they are but many people are driving on tires that are 5-7 years old and many more miles. Being out of the sun and so low of miles they haven't aged much compared to a tire that has been in the elements all this time.
Old 10-28-2014, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks! That's what I was hoping for so they're easier to sell. I'll try to post them up in the for sale section this evening.
Old 10-28-2014, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree. They look good just wondering what they might look like on a 14 silverado. lol im in the market
Old 11-02-2014, 05:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BCraven1018
I agree. They look good just wondering what they might look like on a 14 silverado. lol im in the market
Lol, not sure. I haven't kept up with the newer trucks but I think the offset might cause these to stick out too much on newer trucks.