Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Balancing Wide Billets

Old 07-05-2015, 04:17 PM
TOTM: June 2007

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Balancing Wide Billets

Hey everyone.

I almost feel like a total tool asking this, as I do Own a Tire shop. But hear me out.

Im pretty much the only guy here with wide billets. The only other wide stuff I see if lifted trucks(10-14" wide), but never have any issues cause the larger tires soak up a lot of the vibrations.

For the life of me I can get the rear tires on my RCSB to balance. Issue is they are a 10" rim with a 4.75" BS. So all the weight only has 4.5" of the rim to do the work. Combine that with a 305/30r22, and it will shake.

What is everyone else doing to get the shakes out of Wide, low backspace wheels with Low profile tires?(keep in mind I have 2 very expensive high end balancers) We regularly do very expensive setups on supercars, SUVS, Performance vehicles etc.

thanks for the incite
Old 07-05-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried or thought about using Dynabeads?

Have you run just the rim on the machine to ensure the rim isn't the issue as well as clocking the tire in a different location on the rim? Just trying to think outside the box here as I have had bad rims from manufactures before.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:14 PM
11 Second Hall Moniter

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Is it a tire balance problem, or is it flat-spotting??

Some of these 20 & 22" tire manufacturers used too much nylon in the tire carcass to get the speed ratings, handling, etc. But then they will tend to flat-spot when parked overnight. Cooper & Mastercraft replaced 2 sets of tires for me because of this a number of years ago, and I have seen it with other brands as well. It's pretty common with aspect ratios 45 and lower.

Do you have a match-balance machine at your facility?
Old 07-05-2015, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

6 oz of air soft BBs will balance them right out. I used 10 oz in each of my 33" MTRs on bent up steel wheels and they were good for 90 mph on a Wrangler. They sound funny when coming up to a stop light but they work.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

How much road force is each tire putting out???

You can balance a tire/rim all you want but if the road force is over 25-30lbs, it will still likely shake.

When I have to balance tires like this, I try to do a regular dynamic balance but it hard when you are doing the balance from the middle of the rim to the inside edge. Otherwise I do a static balance and inform the owners that it's possible that it will still shake at certain speeds because of the design of the rim and the size of the tires.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by N20zuki
Have you tried or thought about using Dynabeads?

Have you run just the rim on the machine to ensure the rim isn't the issue as well as clocking the tire in a different location on the rim? Just trying to think outside the box here as I have had bad rims from manufactures before.
Dynabeads are suppose to be used in 65 series or higher tires. They say they wider and lower the tire the dynabeads end up bunching up and not working....

I have a Hoffman geodyna. Rims have been spun match, checked for radial runout etc. everything runs true on machine

Originally Posted by AKlowriderZ71
Is it a tire balance problem, or is it flat-spotting??

Some of these 20 & 22" tire manufacturers used too much nylon in the tire carcass to get the speed ratings, handling, etc. But then they will tend to flat-spot when parked overnight. Cooper & Mastercraft replaced 2 sets of tires for me because of this a number of years ago, and I have seen it with other brands as well. It's pretty common with aspect ratios 45 and lower.

Do you have a match-balance machine at your facility?
It does sit a lot

Originally Posted by FFDP
How much road force is each tire putting out???

You can balance a tire/rim all you want but if the road force is over 25-30lbs, it will still likely shake.

When I have to balance tires like this, I try to do a regular dynamic balance but it hard when you are doing the balance from the middle of the rim to the inside edge. Otherwise I do a static balance and inform the owners that it's possible that it will still shake at certain speeds because of the design of the rim and the size of the tires.

We so the exct same thing. I'm gonna remove them tomorrow and run some diag on them. I don't have a road force, but another shop I work with does locally. I'll report back on how it turns out

Thanks guys
Old 07-23-2015, 09:20 AM
TECH Resident

Ever make any progress with road force balance?
Old 07-23-2015, 10:49 AM

Ok. Tried a few different things, Even tried road forcing. It made no difference. Problem is unless im willing to stick the Weights on the outer face of the lip, all balancers cannot balance with such a wide face effectively.

I ended up using a balancing beed pack that my supplier uses. They have ones meant for low profile tires. The bag I used was meant for a 275/45r20, but overall it worked awesome. Took out 95% of the vibration which is great, totally liveable now.
Old 07-23-2015, 10:56 AM
TECH Resident

Nice!