problems with something rattlin like lifters

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problems with something rattlin like lifters

when i romp on it hard runnin about 50 or so the lifters rattle or something but i run high octane gas idk wats causin it
Old 01-05-2009, 12:19 AM
TECH Regular

i would probably pull the 360 out and put a small block chevy in it.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:39 AM
Where's the Beef?

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 99DakotaR/T
when i romp on it hard runnin about 50 or so the lifters rattle or something but i run high octane gas idk wats causin it
So running high octane gas means your lifters won't rattle?

I'd start by checking your Cats, Exhaust manifold gaskets, and then rockers to make sure everything is tight.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:05 PM

i checked all that but after u say cats then i think thats wat it is. i tightened all the header bolts but they were all tight iwe will check the rockers when we pull the valve covers.thats wat i always heard that low octane will make them rattle. o and eats gts stay in the forum were u know something about the trucks instead of puttin me down for owning a dodge that dont mean i dont like chevys because i have one of them to.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 99DakotaR/T
o and eats gts stay in the forum were u know something about the trucks instead of puttin me down for owning a dodge that dont mean i dont like chevys because i have one of them to.
not putting down a dodge at all. Just a joke. you need to chill. if you wanna get smart i wont be helping you work on that dodge soon. lol
Old 01-07-2009, 09:43 PM

ha ha aight dude lol can we just say i like chevys and u dont have anything against dodges how bout that? end of arguement
Old 01-08-2009, 12:35 AM
TECH Regular

bet..
Old 01-08-2009, 04:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Mods may be of some assistance in figuring out what it going on? If a lifter is "rattling" it would have to be due to something being loose in the valve train or weak valve springs. From what you describe it sounds more like pinging under acceleration? Many things could cause this and thats where mods come in, assuming you have a basically stock truck I would start with inspecting/replacing the plugs, Ohm out the plug wires and look at the dist. cap (if its not coil on plug?) for signs of carbon tracking. I'd also run some Lucas injector cleaner through it and check the throttle body for carbon build up and clean it as well. Basically a good thorough tune up.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:56 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LowBlack99
if its not coil on plug?
their not coil on plug. and he said he checked the header bolts so i doubt it has cats because why wast the time with headers on a dak i you leave the stock single exhaust with a cat?

no the ping under accel sounds like a good possibility.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:01 AM
TECH Regular

I'll give yall a rundown on this truck, because I serviced the tranny in it tonight and drove it a little bit. First off the mods: K&N intake, Helix TB spacer, Gibson shortys, dual exhaust w/ 2 cats i believe, and two flowmasters w/ turndowns. I kicked it running about 50 like he said, the noise is not really loud, but definately noticable. I noticed it does have a slight miss. He just put in some e3 plugs but, the autolite plugwires look pretty give out, he is gonna try giving it a good tune up, cap, rotor button and wires, and probably some sea foam and see if that helps.

p.s. - How the heck do you R/T guys get traction ? lol

Quick Reply: problems with something rattlin like lifters