Gen II and Gen III ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 06:03 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Gen II and Gen III ?

Can you guys explain what years were which and maybe a little about what they came with engine/power/computer management wise?

I'm thinking the Gen II were the square body style and the Gen III are the more rounded last body style. What is the new Dakota called? The one that looks like this...Gen IV?

It seems they must be fairly easy to mod from some of your sigs. What are the weak links for you guys? On the 1500 series GM's the transmissions are pretty much a pain once you start modding but, we can swap in a 2500 series transmission which is basically like and old TH400 with overdrive.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:30 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gen 1 - 87-91 Square body and pre-mag (Pre magnum) motors.

Gen II - 92-96 Square but slight differences in appearances and option plus all motors are now of the Magnum variation like the newer 97+ Dakotas have.

Gen III - 97-04 R/T style

Gen IV - 05+ New style

The transmissions are alright, some go out, some don't. Mine is going at 106k HEAVILY abused miles but it has never, ever left me stranded (except when I put a wal mart battery in it, lol).

The rearends are strong, motors are strong.... I guess though I don't consider it weak, the tranny would have to be the closest thing to a weak point in them.
Old 07-12-2005, 08:32 PM
Staging Lane

Oh yeah, in basics, the 46RE tranny in the R/T is basically a 727 TF with an OD unit built on.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:56 PM
Staging Lane

Gen II came with 4/6/8 cyl motor.
2.5L - 4 cyl ( I think it was 2.5)
3.9L - 6 cyl
5.2 - 8 cyl (couldn’t get a 5.9 till the GEN III trucks)

Pretty much anything you want for the 5.2/5.9 v8s you can get now. For a while the only heads you could get was from Mopar, it was a cast iron head that flowed better than stock. Eldebrock finally came out with a aluminum head for these motors.

The only downfall right now is with tuning. Once you get past the basic bolt ons, S/C, turbo, anything of that nature...you have to go to a standalone. There are a few places that do PCM reprogramming.

6cyl trucks are the easiest to swap a v8 into, all the engine mounts are the same as well as the accessory bracket. 4/6 cyl 5 speed trucks share the ax-15 tranny or did, they just have a diff bell housing. The v8 5 speed trucks use a NV3500 (coughcough junk). I don’t know anything about autos other than they are for old ladies and are boring..lol

The 8.25 rear ends are ok They came in the GEN II & Gen III trucks With the GEN III's you could get a 9.25..my 8.25 has a DTS ring and pinion and a auburn chunk in it and stock axles. Its held up so far, but its never really been tested. (meaning its never had some really sticky slicks on it.

Lots of guys swap over a 8.75 rear end into the GEN II trucks, those are pretty tough.

Lots of suspension stuff for them.

GEN I & II trucks, theres not much in the body department. Roll pans, hoods, and bed covers. There was a air damn out, but I never liked it. Never really had a good wheel selection until The GEN III trucks came out and got more popular. (92-04 Dakota bolt pattern is 6 on 4.5) same as the Viper. Some guys have viper brakes on the GEN III trucks. GEN I trucks had a 5 lug bolt pattern, same bolt pattern as the Rangers, mustangs, toyotas, and a few others. Makes for a better wheel selection.

Im sure theres more, I lost my train of thought. There may be a few things I missed or was a little off on..but that gives you the basics.
Old 07-13-2005, 10:55 AM
Staging Lane

lol the r/t thread got locked. we are trouble makers.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Gen II's weigh in less too, not sure on the exact numbers but it gives us an edge over the III's
Old 07-13-2005, 11:34 AM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wasn't the GEN II nose extended so the V8 could fit in there? Has anyone ever done a V-8 1st GEN?
Old 07-13-2005, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Scream
Wasn't the GEN II nose extended so the V8 could fit in there? Has anyone ever done a V-8 1st GEN?
Yea.. http://bionicdodge.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1531

scroll down a few post and there is pictures of it there
Old 07-13-2005, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Scream
Not exactly... The Gen I's had V'8's..You of all people should know this one Scream...

http://www.xmission.com/~dempsey/shelby/sheldod8.htm
Old 07-13-2005, 01:04 PM
MOOBIES Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damnit, I forgot about the Shlebys.

Quick Reply: Gen II and Gen III ?