PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Whistle pig build

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2016, 09:27 AM
Launching!

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Whistle pig build

Well I've been meaning to start a build thread and I suppose for some the whole boosted 4.8 thing is a little overdone but oh well here goes....This thread is also on the force induction side but i think its better fit for here..

My intentions to boost a 4.8 for strictly street and strip were made well before i even bought the truck. After spending months looking I finally stumbled on a super clean low milage single cab that had everything I wanted. The truck is an 05 2wd single cab short bed. After trailering the truck home it was thrown in the garage where it still currently resides. Its only been a year and while i haven't gotten to put a single mile on it yet were making progress.

Tear down began immediately. Within a week it was down to a short block and I started thinking about the longevity of the motor. I came to the conclusion that i would stay with a stock bottom end besides rod bolts just for peace of mind. I don't necessarily have long term goals for the motor, so i plan on having a 6 liter on a stand for when it does decide to let go, for now I figure we'll have fun with the little motor.

While getting the motor apart I had a buddy returning his 06 Goat to stock so i took the opportunity to buy his FAST 102 Intake along with FAST rails and Holly LS2 valve covers. Unfortunately these few things created a lot of headaches along the way when it came to swapping everything over to adapt to the LS2 style intake. I ended up having to run a 2010 Camaro water pump and tensioner, 4th Gen Camaro alternator and power steering pump, LS2 Flat style coils along with pigtails for nearly everything as far a wiring was concerned. But in the end it was all worth it for me to see how clean the engine bay came out (i don't like clutter). Dirty Dingo was an incredible help when it came to converting everything over.

Performance wise I decided to run:

Tick performance Stage 1 Turbo Cam
Tick Performance Hardened Push Rods
Lunati Pro Series Hydraulic Roller Lifters
Brian Tooley Racing Dual Valve Spring Kit w/ Titanium Retainers
Brian Tooley Racing Rocker Arm Trunion Kit
Katech C5-R Timing Chain
Katech Tensioner
ATI Harmonic Balancer
Borg Warner S475 T4 83mm Turbine, 1.10 Exhaust Housing
LS2 Fast 102 w/ Fast Rails
LS2 Throttle Body
CX Racing Hot side
Auto-Meter Nexus Gauges
4" Fender Exit Down Pipe
ARP Head Studs, Cam Retainer Kit, Balancer Bolt Kit, and pretty much everything else

I apologize for not having a ton of assembly pictures but i guess you could say once parts came I wasted no time getting them on the truck but heres a few.

Im sure some will critique the fender exhaust but it was the only way I could route the exhaust due to the crossover from the driver side but regardless its growing on me. Cutting a 4" hole in a perfectly good fender was worst part lol.

Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 AM
Launching!

VIDEO

As far as suspension is concerned I went with a Mcgaughys 5/7 Drop Wheels are Crager Soft 8's

Front- 17x8 4-1/2in BS 255/50/17R
Rear- 15x10 6-7/8in BS 275/60/15R Drag Radials

AS IT CURRENTLY SITS WAITING FOR A TRANS AND REAR END

And if you're wondering the 60E will be ditched for a TH400 w/ Reverse Full Manual Valve Body w/ trans brake from Performabuilt and I'm undecided as far as the rear end is concerned.

I'll continue to update this frequently as things get done but i hope you guys enjoy and if you have any questions or advice let me know!

Last edited by ironcityboom; 09-02-2016 at 09:27 PM.
Old 02-01-2016, 12:44 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Super clean truck!!! That manifold is beffy!! I like it! I like it all! Trade for rusty project? Lol
Fender exit exhaust means racetruck, right?
Any idea what that front wheel and tire combo weighs?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by boostdsierra
Wow! Super clean truck!!! That manifold is beffy!! I like it! I like it all! Trade for rusty project? Lol
Fender exit exhaust means racetruck, right?
Any idea what that front wheel and tire combo weighs?
Thanks Man I appreciate it lol, I think I'll hang on to mine though!! I never really cared for the log style manifolds, obviously not saying they're bad but when I found that CX Racing offered this set up and it included a stainless shorty header for the driver side I was sold. But haha yes the fender exit does mean race truck...kinda, I wanted it streetable enough to drive it to and from the track till I'm able to trailer it. Once I can trailer it, ill be going full race mode with the cage and everything else. I'm hoping i don't get harassed too much for the exhaust till then, but gotta pay to play so I'm sure there will be a few fines involved along the way lol! As far as the front wheel and tire setup, I never really weighed them but I can tell you they're not light. Thats why most guys don't care to run soft 8s, but you can't beat the custom offset option for the the price. They'll do for now till I go to a 5 lug setup. Unfortunately I'm deployed at the moment but should be home next week if all goes as planned, and i can't try to get a weight for you.
Old 02-13-2016, 12:53 AM
On The Tree

Must say that's looking nice and good progress!
did you get a map or tuner yet?
Old 02-13-2016, 08:10 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the same 05 dsg 2wd, one of the best looking body style Chevy made imo, and I got a set of those headlights like you have(ebay special) and I figured out the lower ones tend to draw moisture, I had to put some silicon around mine, but yours might not lol.
Old 02-13-2016, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by smoketrail
Must say that's looking nice and good progress!
did you get a map or tuner yet?
Thanks man! No tuner yet but I have a ways to go before I need one anyway lol. I haven't put a mile on the truck since I bought it and don't plan on it till I get the trans swap done.

Originally Posted by XBlackXCheavyX
I have the same 05 dsg 2wd, one of the best looking body style Chevy made imo, and I got a set of those headlights like you have(ebay special) and I figured out the lower ones tend to draw moisture, I had to put some silicon around mine, but yours might not lol.
Haha yea I shouldn't have to worry, the truck won't ever come out of the garage unless its nice out
Old 02-14-2016, 12:28 AM
Launching!

Curious to see what your 4.8 does with a turbo, in the process of spaying my 4.8 hopefully I don't blow it up lol. The 4.8s are under rated imo, I think they have a lot of potential.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:10 AM
On The Tree

That is smart!!! I'm doing the exact same thing! Even trans is the same.
The truck has been sitting for over a year to.
Its like a vlt gambling machine put a few hundies in and waiting for pay out.

The rear end lots of guys seam to be able to put some power down with them and lsd or locker.

4.8s need a little something to wake up the little monster it seams like.

Ill be watching your build!!
Old 02-14-2016, 01:59 PM
Launching!

single cab 4.8s FTW

Quick Reply: Whistle pig build