PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Walbro 450 Install (in progress)

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 09:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Byrdman11
This is a system control by a fuel pump control module. You don't need a regulator. It didn't come with one. It control pressure with voltage.
I got the fill tube part. But isn't this the fuel pressure regulator right here? That silver thing next too the left of my flat head screw driver. It looks like it is just clipped in and can be removed. So yours didn't come with one?
Attached Thumbnails Walbro 450 Install (in progress)-img_1925.jpg  
Old 03-13-2015, 10:04 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ya, the sock is just a pre-filter.

What does the metal thing with the hole in it on the side of the filter attach to?

Here's a filter I took out of an 04 returnless SUV module along with the 60 psi regulator(ball and spring) that was plugged into the port on the filter.

Name:  Reg%20Port%20on%20Filter_zpsqss7h5pe.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  85.7 KB

Name:  Picture%20003_zpsvelhwixf.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  42.2 KB

Name:  Regulator1_zpscesqp1vk.jpg
Views: 963
Size:  62.4 KB
Old 03-13-2015, 10:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrX
Ya, the sock is just a pre-filter.

What does the metal thing with the hole in it on the side of the filter attach to?

Here's a filter I took out of an 04 returnless SUV module along with the 60 psi regulator(ball and spring) that was plugged into the port on the filter.

Its basically the same thing. Its inline with the fuel flow. Check out this thread. Its has some better pictures of it. I am pretty sure it is the pressure relieve valve. thread.https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-518129/page4/
Old 03-13-2015, 10:23 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TAPyvehc93
Its basically the same thing. Its inline with the fuel flow. Check out this thread. Its has some better pictures of it. I am pretty sure it is the pressure relieve valve. thread.https://www.performancetrucks.net/fo...-518129/page4/
Yes, it's it's pretty much the same setup except with PWM control of the pump. It's nice if you can keep the venturi system. Then you don't have to worry how low the tank gets. On the module above it was driven by a small outlet on the bottom of the stock pump, so a Walbro pump upgrade meant loss of the venturi system.

"Electronic Returnless Fuel System (ERFS)

The electronic returnless fuel system is a microprocessor controlled fuel delivery system which transports fuel from the tank to the fuel rails. It functions as an electronic replacement for a traditional, mechanical fuel pressure regulator. A pressure relief regulator valve within the fuel tank provides an added measure of over pressure protection. Desired fuel pressure is commanded by the engine control module (ECM), and transmitted to the FPCM via a GMLAN serial data message. A liquid fuel pressure sensor provides the feedback the FPCM requires for Closed Loop fuel pressure control."

To convert the above to a return style system I just removed the regulator and plugged that port in the filter, added a bulkhead fitting to the module hat for the return line and a regulator at the rails.

Last edited by DrX; 03-13-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DrX
Yes, it's it's pretty much the same setup except with PWM control of the pump. It's nice if you can keep the venturi system. Then you don't have to worry how low the tank gets. On the module above it was driven by a small outlet on the bottom of the stock pump, so a Walbro pump upgrade meant loss of the venturi system.

"Electronic Returnless Fuel System (ERFS)

The electronic returnless fuel system is a microprocessor controlled fuel delivery system which transports fuel from the tank to the fuel rails. It functions as an electronic replacement for a traditional, mechanical fuel pressure regulator. A pressure relief regulator valve within the fuel tank provides an added measure of over pressure protection. Desired fuel pressure is commanded by the engine control module (ECM), and transmitted to the FPCM via a GMLAN serial data message. A liquid fuel pressure sensor provides the feedback the FPCM requires for Closed Loop fuel pressure control."

To convert the above to a return style system I just removed the regulator and plugged that port in the filter, added a bulkhead fitting to the module hat for the return line and a regulator at the rails.
Yup. I can keep the stock Venturi system with this bucket. I want to run my walbro to where the stock flex fuel pump connects into the lid of the bucket. That way everything will stay the same except for the pump. But it seems like the few people that have actually installed the 450 into these nnbs have bypassed the entire lid assembly to the bucket which will eliminate the use of the stock fuel filter and pressure relief valve(if thats what it is). I don't see how my way wont work but......who knows. It would basically be the same way as byrdman11's setup but i would still retain the bucket lid, fuel filter and pressure relief valve.
Old 03-13-2015, 11:46 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

That way everything will stay the same except for the pump.
This would be ideal as long as the 450 will fit without removing anything else. And as long as the FPCM is happy powering the 450.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the fill tube part. But isn't this the fuel pressure regulator right here? That silver thing next too the left of my flat head screw driver. It looks like it is just clipped in and can be removed. So yours didn't come with one?
Not that the high pressure relief. But I think you know that now. Just making sure.
Old 03-14-2015, 10:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Byrdman11
Not that the high pressure relief. But I think you know that now. Just making sure.
Not sure what you mean here LOL?
Old 03-14-2015, 10:58 AM
Formerly ScreamingL

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

how much power are you making to need this pump
Old 03-14-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by George C....
how much power are you making to need this pump
I am at about 450 to the wheels at 9lbs. I haven't even tried pushing it yet. That was just the first spring I used in the waste-gate. I want to make between 550-600 to the wheels but with E85.

Quick Reply: Walbro 450 Install (in progress)