PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 10:32 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Received 758 Likes on 627 Posts

Is that an SS front grille or just painted over chrome? oem or aftermarket
Old 10-05-2015, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FastBrick
Is that an SS front grille or just painted over chrome? oem or aftermarket
Painted the factory chrome grille on her truck.
Old 10-11-2015, 05:48 PM
TECH Resident

Well I got the hurt transmission out of the truck and just got the new one back in. and I am having the same issues I had before. Before I set the truck back down on the ground I shifted into reverse, I feel a solid engagement and the wheels spin in the correct direction. I shifted into drive and the trans shifts 1-2-3 but does not shift into 4th. When I set the truck back down on the ground it will not move in reverse. 3-4000 rpm and it will not move. I can't really pull the truck forward because of how it is sitting in the driveway. Really frustrated... Trying to figure out the problem yet again. Still trying to get the truck ready for next weekend...
Old 10-12-2015, 12:11 AM
TECH Resident

Didn't really have any time to upload any pictures from this weekend. Almost too busy to snap a few. Here's a few pics.

Dropping the trans out earlier in the week:

Name:  IMG_8709_zpsackl65wo.jpg
Views: 2552
Size:  263.5 KB

The only thing that went mostly right was my front swaybar. Upgraded the stock with a Belltech 1 3/8 soild bar. I was having some issues with the links, but that was due to the way the DJM lower control arm link mounts are designed. Got the DJM links installed for now, but I want to upgrade them to a Ridetech Posi-Link setup for better angles.

Name:  IMG_8711_zpskodey7cx.jpg
Views: 2569
Size:  237.6 KB

Name:  IMG_8712_zpsugha4aqu.jpg
Views: 2536
Size:  127.1 KB

Stock bar next to the Belltech. I already have a Hotchkis Bar under the back of the truck although it's disconnected now. (seemed to help loosen the back of the truck up last NMCA event.

Got the trans back Saturday morning from a friend of mine that I had go through it.

Name:  IMG_8714_zps1z5ywni7.jpg
Views: 2592
Size:  240.4 KB

Finished installing the trans this morning and got it back down on the ground ready for a test drive when I realized I had no reverse or 4th gear... After some scan tool and pressure gauge testing and a little internet research and I decided to swap valve bodies with the other 4L80e that I have. I am suspecting the Transgo separator plate or possibly one of the other pieces of the shift kit. Swapping it with a known good VB will just help determine the problem.

I originally rebuilt that transmission myself and had the same issues about a year ago. But needing to get the truck finished up for some deadline, I found another unit and just dropped it in. My hope was that my buddy would find something I missed or was wrong, but he didn't see anything our of the ordinary. I was at least hoping for a pinched seal or something. But it did boost my confidence in transmission works as I was very careful when I originally rebuilt it.

I have the truck draining now and I'm going to swap valve bodies tomorrow night.

I pulled the pan and valve body off the other trans. You can definitely see the bushing material on the filter and gaskets. I'm going to clean it all out and get it ready to swap in.

Name:  IMG_8719_zpsx9pomutl.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  343.9 KB

Name:  IMG_8717_zpsmzx4yckx.jpg
Views: 2560
Size:  337.2 KB

And now it looks like rain is in the forecast for this weekend to top things off. Gotta keep my eye on the prize and get this thing done. I'll update more later.
Old 10-12-2015, 05:58 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Did you ever get the last one too function correctly?

How do you have your 80E swap wired up?
Old 10-12-2015, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

Did you ever get the last one too function correctly?

How do you have your 80E swap wired up?

This is the first 4L80E I had in the truck. I was never able to get it working. After I hurt the second one, I had the first trans gone through I had a friend of mine go through it all and double check it.

I just finished swapping valve bodies. Got the VB from the known good trans along with it's factory separator plate and new gaskets in the truck. In the air I have 1st through 4th, lockup and reverse. But once I got the truck back on the ground it won't move in reverse.

I am running a 60E segment with a relay. I had it working great. I have no idea what to do now. It's not looking like I'm going to make it this weekend... Pissed is an understatement...😡
Old 10-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

bummer.

what got you running last time?
Old 10-13-2015, 09:56 PM
TECH Resident

bummer.

what got you running last time?
I ended up picking up the other transmission from the guy you knew in Ontario or Fontana. I believe he had a Pewter NNBS Crew cab that he was selling.

The trans I got from him worked fine until the bushing issue.

After swapping valve bodies I still don't have a working trans and the guy that went through it can't get started on it until Friday...

So my truck is not making it to NMCA this weekend...
Old 10-15-2015, 01:00 AM
Custm2500's Rude Friend

Originally Posted by Steve-O-08
I ended up picking up the other transmission from the guy you knew in Ontario or Fontana. I believe he had a Pewter NNBS Crew cab that he was selling.

The trans I got from him worked fine until the bushing issue.

After swapping valve bodies I still don't have a working trans and the guy that went through it can't get started on it until Friday...

So my truck is not making it to NMCA this weekend...
That was Chris. Not sure if he is still messing with that stuff or not.

The plate you mentioned, was it a 3 piece design, because they almost always cross leak or have issues.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:39 AM
what a rush!

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

Awesome brother! I'm loving the new mods!

Quick Reply: Steve-o-08's Silverado Build Thread, Take Three.