PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

So I Autocrossed My Truck in an SCCA Event This Weekend.... (Pics and Video)

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2017, 05:37 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by zeake
Nicely done. You should consider a Silverado ss awd transfer case. In for more pics and vids
Thanks !!

I already have the Tcase and the sold shaft/housing for the front differential. Believe it or not, the NP 246 works seamlessly in Auto 4WD. I am reserving final judgement until after a few more events, but I was amazed at how well it worked, I was anticipating a much more 'jerky' operation.

If I do decide to goto the Silvy SS case then I'll do it at the same time I go with the 80e so I only have to do the driveshafts once. For the time being the part time case does a great job of balancing my needs, much better than I anticipated.
Old 03-07-2017, 06:45 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I love the fact that you daily the vette and race the 4x4.

Awesome build and awesome progress.
Old 03-10-2017, 12:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Neat project.

Would love to hear more about the front brake swap using the brembo calipers
Old 03-10-2017, 09:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Tig
I love the fact that you daily the vette and race the 4x4.

Awesome build and awesome progress.
Thanks man, I've been asked why I don't autocross the Corvette.. I respond:

Originally Posted by surffly
Neat project.

Would love to hear more about the front brake swap using the brembo calipers
Thanks man, it's been a lot of fun, another autocross this weekend, then the Brembo caliper mod gets moved up the list. I am still not sure my wheels will clear the calipers so I need to check that, if they do clear then I need custom brake lines and I'll be ready to bolt them up.. I'll update the thread when it gets to that point.

In other news, I wanted to share with the group a tool I made a bunch of years ago (for dirt cheap) and used again tonight. I can't take credit for the design of it, but I think its worth passing on in hopes that someone else finds value in it and makes one for their own use.

I use this tool for refilling fluids under the truck/car. It allows me to put gear oil, transfer case fluid back in nearly effortlessly. I fought and fought for years trying to figure out ways to get the fluid back into these components after draining out the fluid. With this tool, I was able to change the front diff fluid, rear end fluid, tcase fluid in <30 minutes.

Basically take a $25 bug/yard sprayer (I'd recommend a new one), and install a $4 rigid valve stem in the top. I cut off the very tip of the atomizing spray nozzle so it comes out in a stream vs. mist. Heavier fluids like gear oil take a little longer to push through the tubes, the ATF or Tcase fluid moves a lot faster.

Once you have the valve core installed you don't have to use the manual pump, I usually pressurize it up to where the relief valve starts to unseat and hiss.. (You can see it in the first picture where the YELLOW is starting to show)

Make/use at your own discretion.. Here's a couple of pics:

Bug sprayer modded to squirt go fast juices into the underside of my cars..

Servicing the Smurf Juice in the NP246.. Relatively drip free !
Old 03-11-2017, 11:14 AM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

When will the 4 link be open to the public to buy? Awesome build btw
Old 03-11-2017, 12:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by treylittlefield
When will the 4 link be open to the public to buy? Awesome build btw
Man the 4 link is a beast ! When I dropped off my truck to them I told them, look some dudes are throwing 800-1000hp down, some in crew cab trucks... You really should build this kit with the straight-line guys in mind too if you plan on selling it in significant numbers. I gotta tell ya, I think they responded just fine, I don't have intentions of ever running that big of HP/Tq, but if I was I wouldn't think twice about it failing. For the autocross it has opened up the rear suspension a lot. I am still learning how to adjust 4 links, but this kit is a quality piece.

As far as a GP or pricing, I don't have a horse in the race. I am not part of JSMFab. When I talked to them before about selling to PT.NET members, at least initially, I was told to have interested an interested party contact them direct at:

JS Machine & Fabrication

or facebook at JSMFab
Old 03-11-2017, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Got any pictures of your 4 link installed?
Old 03-12-2017, 08:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by treylittlefield
Got any pictures of your 4 link installed?
Shoot me a PM with your contact details..
Old 03-12-2017, 08:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

After I installed the softer rear coil springs it lowered the rear of the truck down about 2".. This changed the way the 4 link reacted, specifically under hard throttle.. So before today's SCCA autocross event I bumped the front of the lower bar up another notch on the 4 link and it's back to planting the rear end! I'm really impressed with how this all works, I know theres even more gains to be had once I learn all of the adjustments.

Anyhow, today started off cold, overnight we had about an inch of snow here in Western TN. I started the truck up and headed south to Grenada MS for the first points event of the calendar. The day turned out to be a sunny and warmer day when it was all said and done, a great day for autocrossing !

I accumulated a total of 6 runs, but forgot to reset the camera on 2 of these runs. The first two runs I DNF'd, it was a very large course and I'll admit that even though I walked it twice I still got lost. I managed to get it together on the 3rd thru 6th runs.. At the end of the day, I finished within 9 seconds of the fastest car, a well prepped Honda S2000 running on R-comps.. Not too shabby for a 4WD Silveardo on street tires..

At the beginning of this project I admitted to myself that I had a snowball's chance in hell of finishing 'on the podium' at one of these events in the class that I would be put in. Significant suspension mods immediately put you in a cut throat class with SCCA classing. Anyhow, today I was lumped in with the other CAM cars (I run CAM-C, they were in CAM-T and CAM-S). So I ran against 2 Factory Five Cobra replicas on race rubber (one a small block, the other a 610hp 427 car), a very well prepped 72 Buick GS that was running on 315 rubber all the way around, and a Pontiac Fiero with a supercharged 3800 swap making 300hp, and I still finished reasonably close to them with this setup. I'm literally running against cars that have twice the horsepower, half the weight and race rubber !

I'm convinced that the truck has more in it, it really needs a driver improvement, a bigger swaybar and better brakes.. All to come at a later date.

Here's is one video that was the best of my runs today, there's three other ones on the channel if you want to hear me wringing the 4.8L's neck out !

Old 03-12-2017, 09:25 PM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

That looks like a blast! If you are that close to the others at least let me tune the dang thing to get some more responsiveness out of it

How did the stiffer front springs do?

Hydroboost with 05+ fronts and suv rears will really help your brake situation for locally available parts.