PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Project Silver Bullet!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2017, 01:23 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
Holy crap congrats man! What's the goal next?
the goal now is to not get arrested haha. i would like to be able to bump up the boost so i can have a "high" setting (for flex fuel) with my controller so ill need to run a set of dual pumps. talking with the tuner he suggested a dual setup of aem 320s. pumps are an easy swap so may just buy another factory fuel bucket off craigslist and start chopping and plumbing away with a dual setup... in no rush to do this so its time to start reading up again .

_zblee
Old 03-23-2017, 02:17 AM
Launching!

so got engine bay all put together. this is how it sits right now. the only thing i plan on changing is getting rid of the blue air filter (this was cheapest one i could find to get it up and running). going to replace it with a larger filter that has a 4" aluminum piping placing the air filter away from the heat (over in front of the reservoir tank or something). going to get it coated the same black as the rest of the of aluminum. since i am density tuned i can get rid of the maf and have a single OR two piece piping from intercooler to TB. we will see.

blanket stinks! smelled worse right after the initial drive during street tuning. its not bad now that it has a couple of hours of burn in time but i can still smell it (normal according to the paper work it came with ).

here is how the truck sits with the caltracs. rear should be a bit lower now because the rear springs i put back on did not have the overload spring so it should be about 1/2" lower in the rear. sits pretty even.

here is snapshot at the dyno

here is video of one of the dyno pulls

here is the graph that shows the high boost (11~12psi) on e54 where we hit 617/598 but had to back it down because i did not have enough fuel pump to keep the pressure up. it is overlayed with the 91 pump results with 8psi

here are the final numbers as it sits now. 91 vs e54 both at 8psi

and now i will be seeing this scenery probably at least once a week

_zblee

Last edited by zblee; 03-23-2017 at 02:23 AM.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by zblee
and now i will be seeing this scenery probably at least once a week

_zblee
That's a sweet feeling pumping the ol girl full of corn all the time.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:48 AM
I have a gauge for that

Received 373 Likes on 254 Posts

I would advise against the aem320 pumps, I have seen plenty of them have issues. I personally like the walbro400s or 450s. The eastiest thing for you to do is add a walbro450 to your current pump and have it activated via boost controller or hobbs switch. Also make sure and upgrade the wiring for whatever pumps you use.

Go as big as you can on the inlet tube and filter, like 5 or 6", with the largest filter you can find. It will make a big difference.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Atomic
I would advise against the aem320 pumps, I have seen plenty of them have issues. I personally like the walbro400s or 450s. The eastiest thing for you to do is add a walbro450 to your current pump and have it activated via boost controller or hobbs switch. Also make sure and upgrade the wiring for whatever pumps you use.

Go as big as you can on the inlet tube and filter, like 5 or 6", with the largest filter you can find. It will make a big difference.
No doubt about it--go dual Wally 450, part #F90000267.
Old 03-23-2017, 04:36 PM
Launching!

yeah a second 450 is what i was initially thinking anyways. tuner suggested the aem pumps. im in no rush so im just going to be doing a lot of research on both setups.

after some spirited driving i had my boost controller log the highest boost it sees and showed 9.3 so far. so im probably around 9.5lbs and not 8. need to do some longer wot pulls to get the max. with traffic around here i run out of room really quick ...

_zblee
Old 03-23-2017, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

What cam are you running?
Old 03-24-2017, 01:28 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by lxcoupe
What cam are you running?
still the same cam . Custom cam from advanced induction . 225/229 114+2 .600+ lift

_zblee
Old 03-24-2017, 02:24 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

so got engine bay all put together. this is how it sits right now. the only thing i plan on changing is getting rid of the blue air filter (this was cheapest one i could find to get it up and running). going to replace it with a larger filter that has a 4" aluminum piping placing the air filter away from the heat (over in front of the reservoir tank or something). going to get it coated the same black as the rest of the of aluminum. since i am density tuned i can get rid of the maf and have a single OR two piece piping from intercooler to TB. we will see.

blanket stinks! smelled worse right after the initial drive during street tuning. its not bad now that it has a couple of hours of burn in time but i can still smell it (normal according to the paper work it came with ).

here is how the truck sits with the caltracs. rear should be a bit lower now because the rear springs i put back on did not have the overload spring so it should be about 1/2" lower in the rear. sits pretty even.
Originally Posted by Atomic

Somewhat agree with Atomic here. If you want to move the filter out of the way that is fine, but the best thing to do you be to put the largest filter you can find and just bolt it straight on the turbo. Any piping, regardless of size, will almost always hurt you......damn the heat.

Procharger puts the inlet of the blowers on these trucks directly over the header on the driver side. Time an time again I've seen people route the filter out of the way to avoid the header heat.......then the ones who listen, put the filter directly on the blower and in almost every instance pick up power without the elaborate piping to help pull air from a cooler place. At the end of the day, the restriction of the pipe and bends is more hurt full than the heat.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

still the same cam . Custom cam from advanced induction . 225/229 114+2 .600+ lift

_zblee
Any vids?

Quick Reply: Project Silver Bullet!