PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 11:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oakley6575
Well the part I've been waiting on all week didn't show up like it should today. So now I have to wait till noonish tomorrow until it shows up to get that installed and wired. I have tomorrow morning to get the entire meth kit wired up too. I was hoping the part would show up today so I could get it installed, wired, and start tuning tonight. Super frustrating for me.

Think about how I had my fuel system plumbed before the new rails. I had a returnless rail on my NNBS intake. From the fuel pump, I had a -6an feed that went to the FPR on my firewall. After going through the FPR, the feed came out to the returnless rail. So the fuel was being regulated before the rail. With that happening, the rail didn't see any volume except what was there at 58psi. So when I went into boost, the fuel system couldn't provide the volume I needed through the regulator and -6AN line. at 12psi of boost, fuel pressure should have gone from 58psi to 70psi and held there. Well it would get to about 62psi and then steadily decrease pressure. So I had to command a lot more fuel in the VE than was actually needed to make up for the pressure loss.

Now I have the fuel pump feeding the -8AN fuel rails first, then to the FPR. So there isn't a shortage of volume at high RPM anymore and it is able to keep pressures where they should. Now the truck holds 70psi of fuel steady at WOT. As soon as I noticed fuel pressure was good, I upped boost pressure to 13-14 lbs but not above that yet. So I have 13psi tuned perfectly right now and will probably just leave the meth kit unplugged for tomorrow night. I need at least a few hours to really dial in the VE at WOT. Since it is perfect now without meth, I will just leave it and tune for the meth some other time. Really sucks buy all these parts and work on the truck just for this last track outing and then miss the deadline but life goes on. I should be able to sneak into the 11's without meth anyway.
Thank you sir! That was an excellent explanation! answered my questions plus some.

2nd question lol How much timing are you able to run on pump gas with the current set up, and how much do you think the meth will increase boost and the effects on timing advance?
Old 10-16-2014, 11:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yea sorry I kind of went off on a tangent there and didn't answer your questions

Right now I'm only running 14 degrees of timing on pump gas. It is very solid at 14* and could probably go higher (15*-16*) but I really don't see a reason to. It pulls hard has hell where it is at and seems very safe. I don't have a gauge to monitor EGT's but I don't think 14* is too low and doing any damage.

When the meth is added, I'll run boost up to 25psi or so. The extra octane and cooling I will see will let me run all the boost I want. Just have to upgrade to dual walbros and bigger feed line for the pump gas. But being at the same boost level (13-14psi), I'll probably run timing around 16*-18* or so. The only way to really know where is best is to read dyno sheets and EGT's at the same time.
Old 10-17-2014, 05:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

So today I went in to wire the controller into the truck. I just didn't have everything I needed to get it done the way I wanted it so there won't be any track times tonight. FML

I did get the solenoid working. Turns out I installed it backwards. Being the genius that I am, I though the side marked 1 was the inlet and 2 was the outlet. Well its the opposite. How that makes sense, I have no idea, but now I know.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thank you for answering my questions!

Sorry to hear you couldn't make it, maybe for the better? now you don't have to rush it. What is your track season?
Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not really sure. I think it opens in April. The street car super nationals are coming up mid November here in Vegas. I'm thinking about running just so I can get some times . By then I will have the meth installed, and maybe a converter change. I could shoot for 11.50's if that is possible with my fuel system as is. Anything lower than that would require a cage obviously.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do you plan on doing a cage at some point in life? Still high 11s with a baby cam/motor on pump gas is pretty solid, you should be able to break 10's with meth and 25lbs, if traction plays nicely
Old 10-18-2014, 03:43 PM
TECH Senior Member

Only way I will do a cage is if it becomes a dedicated track truck. I sure wish my track was open more to the public. Las Vegas motor speedway is the only track around me in like a four hour radius.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Post some pics of your meth controller wiring...are you going to use a relay to power the pump? I'm installing a Snow kit right now and I want to Hotwire the pump.
Old 10-25-2014, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 1969x11
Post some pics of your meth controller wiring...are you going to use a relay to power the pump? I'm installing a Snow kit right now and I want to Hotwire the pump.
Sorry bud, I just saw this. Today I made a harness for my controller. Everything is tucked away and hidden so there really isn't anything to post up and show. It came out really nice IMO. My controller varies the voltage to the pump. I'm not exactly sure how to hotwire the pump with my set up. I don't know if I run a parallel wire from the alt to the pump or what. I did however run the main power wire in the controller to the alt so maybe I already "hotwired" it??

Anyways, today was the first day I've had time to work on it in about a week. So I got the harness made and installed. I mounted the controller on the fuse block condom by the battery so it is not intrusive and I can still easily get to it. I really like how the entire install turned out and I'm anxious to get it running. I was going to do some tuning tonight but screwed myself since I didn't get an 1/8" NPT fitting for my vacuum block to the controller. So tomorrow I'll get the hose barb fitting and be ready to roll. I can't decide on how I want to pull fuel for the meth... My math tells me methanol will be 20% of my WOT fueling. I'll be targeting 0.75 lambda and I think I'll just pull fuel from the VE verses the PE/BE. Any suggestions?

Name:  BCBDD1DB-06FB-42FE-B460-BCC980688F23_zpsgotlizs1.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  159.6 KB
Old 10-25-2014, 09:17 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wired my controller from the alternator with a relay.I was planning on removing fuel from the VE table. Looks like a clean install Oakley.

Quick Reply: Oakley's History Lesson and Build Thread