PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

My first engine build.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default My first engine build.

I have in my life only done 2 comlplete rebuilds both 4 bangers. 1 successful and the other not so much. Both times I had my dad nearby to help not this time. Anyway found a guy here in rapid city that takes his race stuff to denver for machine work. No local guys are interested in helping me.

I have my original 5.3 (LC9 I believe) out of my 09. Has about 60,000 miles on it. The plan is to bore it out to 3.898 and have a 5.7. My truck is turbo charged so this is FI build. Nothing special I know its been done before just need some advice along the way to make sure I dont screw somthing major up. Budget unknown just going to start and go from there. Hp goals dont know but want to make sure if I decide to go for 800 the engine can handle it but most likley 500rwh. I know i can make that on my stock 5.3 but this will be my backup if i blow it.

Things to do and parts to buy. Will add to the list as needed.
Machine work bore to 3.898 cost unknown
Cam triple 12 most likley (suggestions welcome) cost $399 + shipping
Forged pistons ( not sure wich ones to keep compression correct for FI) cost guessing $650
Rods stock unless anyone suggest otherwise. Free
Crank stock. Free
Valve train no idea what needs done. Just duel springs. Suggestions
Timing chain upgrade. I think I have read most guys do this will research.
Oil pump upgrade if available. Plug something for better oil pressure. Read that somewhere as well.
Heads stock 243. Will have shop go over them. Guessing valves need replaced since 2 of them have damage from piston melting unless they can be cleand up.
DOD/AFM Delete $225
Head studs china maybe they seem to be working for other guys.
Stall converter $995

Lots of other stuff i am sure like I said this is basicly my first time doing somthing like this. Should hear back in a couple days from machine shop to see if they are willing to do the work and cost. Post your suggestions and thoughts half the fun is planning and discussing this stuff.

Last edited by crashmymax; 01-16-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 343 Likes on 263 Posts

What is your budget?

Knowing how much HP you want to put down will help.

What converter are you running?
Old 01-16-2017, 03:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

If you swap the cam to a triple 12, the DoD/AFM has to go. You'll need a new valley plate, lifters, lifter trays, cam gear.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by wretched73
What is your budget?

Knowing how much HP you want to put down will help.

What converter are you running?
Originally Posted by FFDP
If you swap the cam to a triple 12, the DoD/AFM has to go. You'll need a new valley plate, lifters, lifter trays, cam gear.
No budget, just going to do what needs to be done. Needs to handle 800hp incase I ever decide to go that far. Just have stock converter now.

DOD/AFM delete will be added.
Old 01-16-2017, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

What is a good stall for daily driver that occasionally tows camper and utv?
Old 01-31-2017, 08:55 PM
TECH Resident

Ordered some parts today finally. Got a triple 12 cam and some pistons coming from stock48. Have not decided if ill stay with stock rods or not. Also need to pick up a micrometer and dial bore gauge any suggestions on brands? I see the prices very considerably.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by crashmymax
Also need to pick up a micrometer and dial bore gauge any suggestions on brands? I see the prices very considerably.
Depends on how much you want to spend... mitutoyo, starrett, brown and Sharpe at the upper end are all good. On the cheaper side, SPI is usually decent for $.
Old 01-31-2017, 11:09 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Feed
Depends on how much you want to spend... mitutoyo, starrett, brown and Sharpe at the upper end are all good. On the cheaper side, SPI is usually decent for $.
Probably looking for decent for the money as I doubt I will build very many engines in my lifetime. I will check out those brands. Thanks
Old 02-03-2017, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Parts I have ordered now
custom forged pistons and rings 9.5:1 stock48
triple 12 cam stock48
pac single springs stock48
DOD delete kit. texas speed
clevite bearings texas speed

What else might I need for rebuilding the short block? Is stock oil and water pump ok or should they be upgraded? Would like to have everything I need ready to go before I start.
Old 02-04-2017, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts

I'd say stock oil pulp and water pump are fine.
China studs are good
Looks like you have a good list. I would only add new motor mounts. I didn't replace them w mine with 100k miles.