PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

A L'il Love for the Big Truck

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 06:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default A L'il Love for the Big Truck

Hey Guys,

Been lurking here a long time, but I've sort of been away from the hi-po mod part of vehicles for a few years now. I am finally back to working on my cars/toys and I've finally had enough time to install the lowering kit (that I purchased back in October of 2012) on my Avalanche. When I bought the truck a bunch of years back, I drove it daily for a bunch of years, and this is what it started out life as :

Yeah, I know, pretty boring... I drove it like that for 2+ years and then I purchased some 20s for it, and drove it for another 2 years. All the time I owned it I wanting to get it lowered, but something always seemed to come up. Anyhow, last October I finally bought the McGaughy's drop spindle 2/4" lowering kit. I had previously installed a very similar McGaughy's kit on my '02 Silverado ECSB truck that I had. I loved that truck and I thought the it gave that truck just the right stance, while leaving the ride stock and improving the handling, without taking one ounce of reliability or practicality out of the truck, so I was game for the same kit on the Avalanche.

Last fall the front end started to wander all over the road it was time to put the truck down for some serious maintenance and upgrades.. Unfortunately life intervened once again, work got stupidly busy and it was once again shelved.... Until this week, I FINALLY had the time needed to fix the truck and lower it. While installing the drop kit, I completely rebuilt the front end with the following parts:

1 AC Delco 45c1123 (GM Part # 19136508) Idler Bracket
1 AC Delco 45C1120 Steering Linkage Idler Arm
1 AC Delco 45C0069 Pitman Arm
2 Moog K6540 Upper Ball Joint (both sides)
2 Moog K6541 Lower Ball Joint (both sides)
2 Moog ES3493T Steering Center Link Tie Rod End (both sides)
2 Moog ES3488 Steering Center Link Tie Rod End (both sides)
2 Timken SP500300 Axle Bearing and Hub Assembly (both sides)

The result is the following:

Overall it wasn't hard, but it did involve almost 3 days under the truck, going to get tools, grease etc from the parts store and fine tuning the adjustments after it was altogether.. I'm pretty happy and the truck handles 10x better and looks 100x better.

Next up, big binders !! She needs 'em the stockers are getting pretty tired and this big 'ol truck needs some whoa !
Old 03-24-2013, 06:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good man. Which brake set up you looking at?
Old 03-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Ph.D. in HUBRIS

Looks good.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks guys,

Lowexpo, I haven't decided 100% yet but I am leaning towards a hybrid brake setup using 14" rotors + 1G CTS-V calipers if I can make it work.
Old 03-26-2013, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That sounds interesting, I'm in for progress for sure. I've seen semi factory swaps but I'm lost on that stuff. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2013, 05:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default rear Bilstein HD install

When I dropped the truck I was a bit concerned that the shorter coil springs would fall out if the truck was lifted by a lift or if I got a bit crazy going around a corner. The stock ride height OEM Bilstein HD shocks were still in place, and when a jack was placed under the receiver hitch and lifted it until the rear axle drooped away from the frame, I proved that indeed this could happen (the coils came loose because the frame lifted off the top of the coils even with the shocks in place). It was apparent that the shocks were the limiting factor to keep the rear end happy and together, with the shorter coils in place this became a problem if the truck was ever 'aired' out.

In the defense of the lowering kit, the rear kit DID come with some adapter brackets that bolted in the rear sockets and effectively lengthened the locating points of the shocks but it sorta seemed mickey mouse to me and my rear Bilsteins had 160k on them anyhow sooooo...

So I picked up the phone and called Bilstein East, they actually have 2 separate divisions (East and West). They are basically idiots on the phone, very unhelpful and unwilling to even divulge dimensional data. When I called Bilstein EAST they transferred me to tech support and overall, "Brian" at Bilstein was a ****. So I figured I'd called Bilstein West, I got another agent on the line somewhere out in Cali and when I explained what I was trying to accomplish, they transferred me to.... wait for it... wait for it.... Brian at Bilstein EAST

So I got to digging around on the internet and basically ended up with no technical data anywhere I searched, for ANY shock manufacturer. So I picked up the phone once again and called KYB. The KYB rep was very nice, polite and willing to assist. I told them what I had (lowered Avalanche -4") and that I was looking for a drop shock that would fit the truck. I told them my dimensional data with the truck sitting on the ground at ride height and he gave me a bunch of KYB Part numbers.

A friend mentioned that KYB are not as well put together as Bilsteins; I wanted to remain with a factory appearance and ride anyhow so I reverse searched the shocks based on the KYB part numbers I had. Once I knew what application they fit (73-89 Chevy C20/C30 Truck P20/P30 Motor-home/Van), I searched Bilstein for a shock that fit that application and VOILA ! I had a Bilstein part number (24-015875) that fit an Avalanche that was lowered 4" in the rear (the McGaughy's front drop spindles let you keep the stock front dimensions so they are stock Bilstein HD shocks up front).

Anyhow, today I got a chance to install them:

The only HICCUP I can see is, on the Avalanche side, the width of the attach points is slightly wider than that of the new shock. This was easily remedied by shimming with a single washer and re-securing all the attach hardware.

The truck rides like stock, and handles amazingly well for a 6000# truck, it handles way better than new and all the marsh-mellowy feel is gone. It doesn't ride harsh at all. Overall it feels sportier with the 20's and the lower C of G, and it drives much more confident than before and I love it !

When I got back from my test drive, I once again performed my check by placing the jack under the receiver and lifted up on the frame, I completely lifted the rear tires off the ground and went back under and gave the coils a yank and I had success, they wont come out.

I just need to get the suspension aligned now and it will be done, since I changed all the front stuff I've been fighting with steering wheel alignment vs. toe in/out that I really need to get corrected.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Start of CTS-V Calipers

Brown Santa brought me some 4 piston 1st Generation CTS-V calipers.. I think they look schmexy..

I am going to prototype these on the Avalanche as I am certain the 20" wheels I have currently installed have enough backspacing to clear these bad boys.. In addition to doubling my piston quota on each front corner, I will be up-sizing the rotors from the stock anemic 12" rotors to at least 14" rotors.

These calipers are pretty stout and require a fair bit of backspacing, so much so that the CTS-V has special offset wheels to clear these guys.. Depending on what happens with the wheels I install on my '03 Silverado Autocross project there will most likely be another set under that truck as well.

I'm excited, its finally going to get the brakes it needed from the factory. Best part is, when it's all said and done I'll hopefully have less than $550 into these brakes and an infinitely safer truck.

Old 12-01-2013, 03:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Adapter Brackets are here..

Wife picked up my brackets from the machine shop just before Thanksgiving.. I'm super stoked this project is moving forward (Lord knows it took long enough), but now it's waiting on me.. I am still in South Carolina til the end of year, then I will get a chance to trial fit the brackets and calipers on my McGaughy's lowering spindles.. If/when they fit I will also try them on the stock spindles to verify if they fit.

The last piece of the puzzle will be having some stainless braided hoses made to adapt from the truck to the CTS-V calipers.. More pics to come when I get a chance but here's what I have now..

I had enough made for two trucks, going to do both of my trucks eventually but first up is the Avalanche..

More pics to come.......
Old 12-01-2013, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice truck man, i will be interested how the brakes turn out
Old 12-01-2013, 06:09 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems like lots of leg work just for some shocks.. sucks how customer service is lacking in big business. Cant wait to see the brakes on there.
The following users liked this post:
Proatv13 (08-27-2018)

Quick Reply: A L'il Love for the Big Truck