PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Holley Dominator Install

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 08:54 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Got some carbon fiber composite $$.

Sorted out the PNP switch operation so I could add a gear range indicator to the dash. (The Dominator only displays the commanded gear) This way I can also control relays, etc based on the position of the shifter. I have a D1 brake and the Dominator has no provision for the PNP switch.

Not sure if maybe I should install 2 of these .96" OLED displays in the cluster in case I want to add something else. This one is white, but the same ones also come in blue or yellow/blue split(top/bottom).

Attached Thumbnails Holley Dominator Install-range-switch-2.jpg   Holley Dominator Install-range-switch-logic.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 06-25-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Truck Sponsor

Received 62 Likes on 50 Posts

Very nice.
Old 06-26-2016, 03:49 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Added contrast(dimmer) control to the display...single wire from the controller, momentary to ground, to step through 5 levels.

Looks like GM left me a spot on the firewall to pass the mess of wires through....above and right of the throttle pedal. But the flat is only about 2" which is Holley's recommended hole size. So I won't be able to use one of the metal-flanged split grommets, which are 3" OD.
Attached Thumbnails Holley Dominator Install-fireqwall1.jpg   Holley Dominator Install-grommet1.jpg   Holley Dominator Install-grommet3.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 07-14-2017 at 05:18 PM.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
Got some carbon fiber composite $$.

Sorted out the PNP switch operation so I could add a gear range indicator to the dash. (The Dominator only displays the commanded gear) This way I can also control relays, etc based on the position of the shifter. I have a D1 brake and the Dominator has no provision for the PNP switch.

Not sure if maybe I should install 2 of these .96" OLED displays in the cluster in case I want to add something else. This one is white, but the same ones also come in blue or yellow/blue split(top/bottom).

Range2 - YouTube
That is one trick little switch man. Where did you get that thing? How hard to wire up to the trans?
Old 06-28-2016, 10:32 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by shootermwc
That is one trick little switch man. Where did you get that thing? How hard to wire up to the trans?
Built and programmed it. Operates off the PNP switch on the trans. Minimum 4 wires plus ground connection to the switch. 2 more wires for the starter relay enable circuit(neutral safety). I'm running that circuit on 5V from my circuit board as nothing else is connected to the range switches. Can still run the 12V backup light circuit through the PNP as that is completely separate. See diagrams in post # 11.
Old 06-28-2016, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Received 47 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
Built and programmed it. Operates off the PNP switch on the trans. Minimum 4 wires plus ground connection to the switch. 2 more wires for the starter relay enable circuit(neutral safety). I'm running that circuit on 5V from my circuit board as nothing else is connected to the range switches. Can still run the 12V backup light circuit through the PNP as that is completely separate. See diagrams in post # 11.
Damn that is slick. I do not have the knowledge for something like that haha, hell I can barely solder!
You should make some up and sell them man!
Old 08-19-2016, 08:33 PM
DrX
TECH Addict

Finally got a chance to get back to this. Spent a few hours backtracking today. I tore down the main harness so that half of it will route through the firewall and half through the right side of the tunnel in order for the wiring to be long enough without extending it. Right coils, right WB02, trans wiring and crank sensor will run through the tunnel. Lost my rear seat heat duct though...not that I have a rear seat anymore, or drive the truck in cold weather.

Also removed some unneeded wires for TPS sensor and IAC as I am keeping a twin DBW setup which is also a Dominator option. Breaking down the harness will also allow better routing of the individual sensor wiring.

Carpet rolled back and hole cut. You can see the bellhousing/80E case junction through the hole.
Attached Thumbnails Holley Dominator Install-hole.jpg   Holley Dominator Install-grommet5.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 07-14-2017 at 05:33 PM.
Old 08-20-2016, 10:22 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Thinking of using the Bosch 0280130085 IAT sensor so I got it setup in the Holley software.
Attached Thumbnails Holley Dominator Install-bosch-iat.jpg   Holley Dominator Install-bosch-iat-characterization.jpg  

Last edited by DrX; 07-14-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-21-2016, 02:15 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by DrX
Thinking of using the Bosch 0280130085 IAT sensor so I got it setup in the Holley software.

What does that sensor typically come on?

I typically use a screw in type IAT to avoid leaks on boosted apps.
Old 08-21-2016, 09:37 AM
DrX
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Blown06
What does that sensor typically come on?

I typically use a screw in type IAT to avoid leaks on boosted apps.
I have seen them recommended in various places for FI motors. It has an o-ring seal and is bolted in place.

Quick Reply: Holley Dominator Install