PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

Blown, cammed 11 Dodge Ram

Old 08-17-2015, 07:31 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown, cammed 11 Dodge Ram

I've been getting into the Hemi stuff quite a bit after turn of the year in 2015.. This is my first Custom VVT hemi camshaft to date so thought I'd share the results with you guys on the build. Truck is driven daily, and does see occasional towing of a camper...
2011 Ram truck with 5.7l hemi w/VVT
Mods:
-LSXAP custom Vvt Blower cam kit for stock converter, we will also be deleting mds cylinder displacement on demand, phaser limiter, and changing lifters, and head gaskets, and using arp head bolts, valve job and resurface while heads are off.

-Edelbrock E force supercharger Kit, minus tuner 11psi pulley

-Stainless Works 17/8 long tube headers, no cats and performance exhaust dual 3" out the back with chambered mufflers.

-tuning will be handled remote via Diablo trinity

Before: stock idle clip..

And the before Dyno, had a muffler welded into factory exhaust and an kn fipk cold air intake..
Attached Thumbnails Blown, cammed 11 Dodge Ram-image.jpg  

Last edited by lsxperformance; 08-17-2015 at 07:44 AM.
Old 08-17-2015, 07:48 AM
TECH Resident

I pulled the front clip to make things easier on myself when timing motor so I don't have to drag heavy engine parts over the fenders.. Made things much easier..
Old 08-17-2015, 08:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

You know I'm not a dodge guy but it's always cool to see new and upcoming products on anything, In for final dyno results.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Got the top end pulled... Sent the heads in to get checked out had 30k mi and had a issue with the valve stems wearing out.. They wore through the hardening on the stem. I dunno if this is common but we had to replace three valves. And resurfaced the heads and did a valve job. Also had the springs set up on the heads, had to buy a .200" locator spacer from Manley for the springs to get it at the 1.800 installed height, we replaced the guide seals, and I got a set of arp head bolts for when we reinstall the heads on the block. And new mopar head gaskets..
Old 08-18-2015, 09:14 AM
TECH Resident

We're also ditching mds lifters because the lifters are known to collapse. Here is a pic of the mds lifters see the oil hole to relieve oil pressure..
Old 08-18-2015, 09:24 AM
TECH Resident

Here is the custom cam (left) it's a high dollar piece, comp makes these on a Cnc machine instead of the normal cam machines. Note the large front journal with all the oil holes for the cam phaser.. We are still going to retain the phaser but will be limiting its travel to 14* movement for more piston to valve clearance.
Old 08-18-2015, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Then I installed the phaser limiter.. I was really nervous of this step because I'd never done it.. But it was cake.. Basically install the spring holding fixture as shown, and back off the bolts on the back side of the gear, leaving one so the spring doesn't release and unwind. Roll the cover over and drop the insert in. I got this limiting kit from comp.. There are phaser lockouts you can buy from Modern Muscle if your running a very large cam shaft but for this daily driver, not needed. The phaser iinsert is in the pic @ about the ten o clock position..
Old 08-18-2015, 09:54 AM
TECH Resident

Then I installed the cam and degreed it mainly to check against the specs I gave and to check my work. There are no dots anywhere on any of the gears that I could find and it's always good practice anyhow. This cam was dead on with the card even with the factory timing components.. Pretty surprising really.. My tip for this is get cylinder one on tdc before removing old cam and make your own make at 12 cam and 6 o'clock on crank it will make re assembly much more pleasant. It could be a real pita if that step was skipped. There was master links on the chain but nothing to like them up to so take care on this step and double, triple check your work. IMO
Old 08-18-2015, 10:25 AM
Resident Retard

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

man you seriously need to get a photobucket account...
Old 08-18-2015, 01:33 PM
TECH Resident

Yep I do everything from my iphone 6+ and I didn't like the app it just wants to access all my photos. And needless to say I try to keep my business stuff and pics of my kids etc off the internet..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Blown, cammed 11 Dodge Ram