PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2009 Crew Cab - Stage III Build Begins

Old 05-20-2016, 05:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Things are slow these days but I got a few pulleys installed.
Old 05-21-2016, 01:51 AM
8 Second Truck Club

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts

Glad to see LC32 is still in the game.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the setup... Why not 3/8" pushrods?
Old 05-21-2016, 08:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
I like the setup... Why not 3/8" pushrods?
I need to check if I they will fit when I start putting it back together. I don't really think I need them since I won't be turning past 6500 but I'd like the insurance.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I only ask because the price is basically the same and never hurts to have some added strength plus I'm im the process of designing my valve train.
Old 05-21-2016, 09:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Petraszewsky
I only ask because the price is basically the same and never hurts to have some added strength plus I'm im the process of designing my valve train.
Tech line at BTR said they wouldn't fit stock head castings, but some people here indicate they will. I am gonna assemble it and see if it looks like I have room with the 5/16 and if I do, I'll trade out. Mine will be ~7.3 inches with the head mill and .03-.05 lifter preload.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:48 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yesterday I got word that the short block will be here Wednesday, so this build should be moving along this week.

Since my last update I got an LSA tensioner and bracket from PCM of NC since they seem to be the only game in town that make a factory replacement 8 rib at the NNBS/TBSS spacing. I also got the spacers for the top left idler machined down to the correct spacing since the Roush kit has a different spacing than a magnacharger. So the 8 rib drive should be complete.

The supercharger is also back in my possession with a 3.1, 2.9, and a 2.8 pulley. Nate said that a 2.75 would theoretically fit if the snout and shaft were centered, but there was enough offset that 2.8 was the smallest possible.

I also went ahead and got a ZL1 torque converter and put it in the truck. Hopefully that will get me to where I want to be with 100% factory characteristics with a little bit of extra stall speed and better lockup clutches.

Justin sent the base tune to me so that I am ready when I get done with the install.

Look for another picture update this week when I get the short block in.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

love the direction you are going with this. Should drive really well and have a ton of power.
Old 06-11-2016, 03:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Actually got the engine Friday after some issues with fedex having the wrong phone number.

I got it uncrated and on the stand next.

I am pretty happy about the new engine. Seems like they paid very good attention to detail. Came already with the cam gear and all the block plugs installed.

But, as I was disassembling the last parts off the original engine, I found the main cause of my ptv issues...

Oh well, this time I am going 3 bolt and not looking back.
Anyway I started to get the engine assembled but the oil pickup tube bolt decided it wanted to stretch instead of torque, so I am waiting for a new one before getting the pan torqued down. Hopefully I can get my hands on one tonight and then I will flip it and install the cam and check ptv.
Old 06-11-2016, 09:44 PM
TECH Apprentice

Got all the way to the point where I could check ptv using clay tonight. Put the head on without a gasket (no torque, just light pressure) and used the pushrod checker as the pushrod with about a half turn past zero lash. The valve didn't even touch the approximately .1 inch thick putty on intake or exhaust. So I cleaned up the head and piston and will work on getting the heads installed and get the pushrod length measured. Hopefully I can get most of the way done this week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Crew Cab - Stage III Build Begins