PROJECTS GALLERY Vehicle builds | Engine Swaps | Conversions | Installation write ups |

2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 09:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 36 Likes on 34 Posts

My nused front diff came in last night, and the lift kit showed up monday morning, i finally broke it down to my girl (after the yukon shut off on us twice the other night going to dinner) that i needed a couple days to work on this thing without interruption, so mext weekend it is... finally!!! May hopefully have time tomorrow or friday to work on the cam actuator, depends on kids and me getting over whatever crap is going around!!

Surprisingly clean for being a junkyard unit!!

Took the mounting bracket off that they were nice enough to send me a spare, and checked the backlash and make sure there were no problems with teeth or bearings, everything seems good to go, smart move will be to just wait until i install the lift to swap this in....

Saw the harness on the diff and figure they just disconnected it below the fuse box, which as much of the harbess as they sent and had to fish out, wouldve been easier than cutting it, but....

They cut it..... damn junkyards!!! plan is to gonthrough and rebuild the diff thats in the truck now, probably with a set of 4.10s and have it ready fir when the g80 goes out in the rear, though i may get ahead of that, if at all possible!!!
Old 02-16-2017, 08:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finally had some time to mess with the yukon this evening, and finally extracted the broken sway bar mount bolt on the rear end! Drilled out more than extracted, i guess! Have a slightly larger sway bar from an nbs suburban that will go back in it tomorrow, finally have everything in line to get the camshaft actuator taken care of, as well as get my lift installed... hopefully in the next week or so i will get the wideband set up and start the tuning process again!!
Old 02-17-2017, 11:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well, my plan went to hell in a handbasket today, plan was to go into work and get the cam actuator swapped out and the lift kit on, work had other plans, got there about 9:15 or so, started on my truck at about 10,had the majority of the front end torn down my 11, then it started... about the time i was going to drop the front diff and then start on the camshaft actuator, the car i had been working on yesterday, the owner decided they wanted the work done, then another car i had been waiting on got approved, so now i have two cars that needed to get done in addition to mine... get them done and now its damn near 4, and i have to be out of there by closing at 8pm, needless to say i never touched the damn actuator and barely got the front end back together.... nevermind the rear suspension! By the end of the day i was so frustrated between not being able to find tools and my wheel bearings being seized into the stock spindles, it was not a good day!! I will end up with new wheel bearings within the next couple weeks along with a pair of backing plates...

Took this pic when i went to wash my hands after the first customers car!

This was about 5:30 after i had been back on it for a little bit, front diff was in and one side suspension was basiaclly done...

I think bigger tires may be in order when these wear out, lol!! I need to go in and get the rear squared away and align it tomorrow....

So far overall fairly happy with it, want to see if i can find some different front brake hoses, and eliminate the brake hose bracket drop bracket and may look into rough country's 5" strut spacer and their upper control arms eventually!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Finished the lift today, still need to get it on the alignment rack though! Drove it around the parking lot just to check for any obnoxious/unforeseen squeaks, rattles, thumps, bumps or other oddities and to throw my boxes away. Had to get out and check brcause there was no grinding or squealing from the front diff, not used to that figured something must be wrong!

Modified the instructions for the brake line extension bracket to more fit my liking and not overextend the brake hoses...installed the bracket included in the kit (after i straightened it) to the diff and then bolted the factory bracket to it....

Better shot of the factory bracket

The hardest part of the rear suspension was the track bar bracket, at some point the whole rear diff shifted to the left about an inch and a half...

Not overly thrilled with the shock brackets, eventually i will find a set of shocks for it to get rid of the brackets, but for the time being it works

Was surprised and shocked it made the yukon taller than my 99!!

Side view, may end up going to a slightly taller tire when these wear out, had a slight rubbing on a sharp turn, hopefully once i get the alignment straight that will be fixed!!
Old 02-19-2017, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Heres a video of my front diff....

Attached Files

Last edited by Wolftrk99; 02-21-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-19-2017, 03:06 PM
Tig
TECH Fanatic

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Lift looks good wolf. I always thought NNBS SUVs looked great lifted.
Have you been driving it, if so how's it handling?
Is the rear still located in the center of the wheel well? Or, did the kit come with new bars?

Can't see the video for some reason.
Old 02-19-2017, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks man, i have not really driven it yet. Havent aligned it yet. Not driving it until i do.
The kit uses the stock bars in the rear, it pulled the rear end slightly forward but not much really, would have liked to have some sort of new bars or bracket to drop them down, but if i have issues with it, i will look into a fabtech rear kit....
Old 02-19-2017, 06:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Checked the alignment this evening, didnt have time to do anything with it, not as bad as i had thought it was going to be, but may need to trim the tie rods down a little bit more. The instructions said to cut 3/8" of both inners and outers, and of course my left jam nut was seized, hoping once i set camber and caster it will bring the toe in so i dont have to trim the tie rods any more
Old 02-20-2017, 08:49 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome thread after 2 days of reading I'm finally at the end lol. I do like the look of your lifted Yukon. Eventually that's what I'm going to do to my Burban.
Old 02-21-2017, 12:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Thanks, actually anxious to be able to drive it again, aligned the front end this evening and have some work to do on the tie rods.... the right inner tie rod seized in the outer, hoping some heat will free it up, ill taje them out abd run a die up bith inners to clean the threads up. Looking like i need to trim the left side tie rods a bit more too... the camber and caster are perfect and the toe would be damn near perfect... if the steering wheel wasnt off to the right!!

Quick Reply: 2008 yukon build.....Err uh mod thread