Notices

Are the 6.0s that bad?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

6.o is junk got with 7.3 change the nose over... The only reason that the 6.0 has so much power is that their dumpn in so much more fuel in their then when u go for ur tune air intake and so on its just going to keep on getting hoter and hoter. theirs no replacement for displasement.. pluss just a stronger motor... with the chevys say an 03 to 06 or 7 just a good tune will get u over 800 ft of torqe trany wont last long but nothing to new. thats just my opp and what ive seen... buddy of mine is the master macanic at ford and he tells everyone to stay away from 6.0 and the 6.4... ill see if other buddy got his dyno sheet on his chevy with just tune so u can see the numbers
Old 02-20-2009, 10:29 PM
no title here

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem with the 7.3 powered trucks is the interior blows. I drove an 09 today and it was garbage
Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

i've heard too many problems with the 6.0's and my friends 06 F350 SRW 6.0 has been in the shop twice already. Once was a glow plug, but the second time was some seal i think on the turbo and the high pressure oil pump went out.

But with the SCT and exhaust it will haul *** though, but its just not reliable. I'd take a LBZ duramax with PPE anyday
Old 02-26-2009, 07:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes!!!!!
Old 02-28-2009, 10:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the 6.0ls suck, i have pics of us putting a set of head gaskets(union blew out, then high pressure oil pump, and egr, then head gaskets) on the new body style trucks, you have to take the cab off the truck to get to the head bolts, hell we even have maintained factory 6.0ls come in all the time with the union and high pressure oil pump blowing out, they say the worst thing you can do to one is put a programmer on it, but still it is inevitable that it will **** out
Old 02-28-2009, 11:14 PM
TECH Addict

http://s332.photobucket.com/albums/m...ndy/blue%20EL/

The new toy I test drove for you, skyhigh

To those who don't know, it needs the timing set and the carb adjusted badly.

oh yeah, the seats came out of a lambo, haha
Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Truckshop
they aren't that bad. 90 percent of 6.0 problems are owner neglet. your average 6.0 that is kept maintained and NOT modified will hardly ever give any problems(yes there are exceptions to the rule here). there were many design changes on lots of parts but by the time the 05 and up design was out they were fine. the only common problem with the newer ones is the stc fitting on the high pressure pump. now take one and overload it, chip it, don't change the oil or fuel filters and you have a HEAP.
i totally agree, my coworker has an 04 with 100kmiles and has had zero issues!!!! he only has catback/air intake, NO programmer....... he says once people put a programmer in there thats when problems start.... he just drives in normal... hes not a speed freak like us so that helps! lol... im looking into getting a diesel and i dont think i will do any mods to avoid any mechanical issues...
Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go with the Cummins
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
TECH Regular

my brother has 05 f-250 and so does my cousin same exact trucks with the exception that my cousins is a king ranch and my bros is a lariat edition..both are 6.0 and fx4's as well and both have had zero problems..my brothers is completely stock and my cousins King Ranch has bullydog, intake and full 5" exhaust and has well over 100k miles on it and no issues..(its a beast). but these trucks are just used to commute and an occasinal pull the rv once a month for camping.. not used for work.

i say its just the way u take care of em.

imo if you just want a great looking truck to ride around and pulling trailers with toys and what not every once in a while go with ford.

if your looking for a work horse of everyday pounding, i think a dodge cummins can take way more of a beatin..
Old 10-29-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like a few people have stated, if you don't go overboard with the mods then no problem. Just a simple tune increases the power so dramatically that it shouldn't really be a surprise that the motors can't handle it at the factory level. one of the biggest problems is head gaskets, but a good set of ARP head studs stops that issue if you end up craving the power, my buddy who's always got his powerstroke on the race tune has been through several transmissions though, they're not cheap.

in recap, totally depends on how you treat it. a mild tune would be fine w/ no serious upgrades just be careful!

now then, on to the 2011 Super Duty! I worked on it in Kentucky earlier this year, BADASS! Brand new 6.7L diesel designed and tested by Ford, and as cutthroat as the industry is right now, you can bet they didn't put their name on some **** motor, it's a stout truck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arNNi...eature=related

Quick Reply: Are the 6.0s that bad?