Notices

6.0 power stroke blew up again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2013, 01:14 PM
Baltimore Whore

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Time for a new truck LOL. PS's are a pita. Buddies popped the head gaskets on it, was totally stock other then exhaust. The shop he took it to did do new studs and gaskets, didn't pull the cab. What a night mare.
Old 08-19-2013, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they are not called the 6.uh oh for nothing
Old 11-13-2013, 11:24 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by greasemykey
pulling the cabs on this truck is not bad at all. you should see how the new 6.7 is stuffed into the trucks. 15k is alot of money if you are not getting a ford certified crate motor with a warranty and install. did you crack the block or munch a few pistons?

Yeah so far we have lost 40 of the 6.7 engines droping exhaust valves on our fleet trucks glad they are under warranty. Junk!!!
Old 11-21-2013, 04:55 PM
12 Second Truck Club

Damn that sux.....are you going to get another?
Old 11-21-2013, 05:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i can get you a built motor that will handle 800-900hp for 12k
Old 11-21-2013, 06:29 PM
11 sec. Truck Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow ,I always knew powerchokes were junk since they left the old 7.3 behind .
This just helps validate that thought .
Old 01-28-2014, 09:42 PM
Teching In

Ignorance of the Powerstrokes is awesome in this thread...

Every vehicle has it's issues. Duramax's have piston or injector issues depending on the year. The Allison is a good transmission, but in reality takes some modifications like a shift kit to live with much more than a tuner. Cummins have HG problems, and there transmissions suck *****, even when built. The 6.0 has EGR and head gasket issues. They are usually a bad EGR cooler causing HG issues, or vise versa. When not fixed right the first time, you end up right back where you were. When fixing head gaskets you MUST have the heads milled and surfaced to ensure that they are flat! Delete the EGR cooler, replace the oil cooler while you are in there, and flush the crap out of the cooling system. Throw some studs in there and you are golden.

I have been on my studded/deleted 6.0 for 50k miles with multiple turbo set-ups and pushing well over 40lbs of boost. Plus, stock for stock the 5R is the best overall transmission of the three!
Old 10-28-2014, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

6.0's are a bad *** engine IF you understand them and know how to build them. Their biggest undoing is dumb asses and tuners. Set the tuner to kill on a stock engine then **** and moan when it blows a headgasket.

Put a set of head studs, black onyx headgaskets, replace or machine the heads, EGR delete or bulletproof diesel EGR cooler, full turbo back exhaust. Be dam sure to have the injectors flow tested or just replace all 8 while the heads are off. Then set the tuner to mild and you have a engine every bit as reliable as a 7.3
Old 12-06-2014, 09:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FaSSt9602
Ignorance of the Powerstrokes is awesome in this thread...

Every vehicle has it's issues. Duramax's have piston or injector issues depending on the year. The Allison is a good transmission, but in reality takes some modifications like a shift kit to live with much more than a tuner. Cummins have HG problems, and there transmissions suck *****, even when built. The 6.0 has EGR and head gasket issues. They are usually a bad EGR cooler causing HG issues, or vise versa. When not fixed right the first time, you end up right back where you were. When fixing head gaskets you MUST have the heads milled and surfaced to ensure that they are flat! Delete the EGR cooler, replace the oil cooler while you are in there, and flush the crap out of the cooling system. Throw some studs in there and you are golden.

I have been on my studded/deleted 6.0 for 50k miles with multiple turbo set-ups and pushing well over 40lbs of boost. Plus, stock for stock the 5R is the best overall transmission of the three!

Wow someone who finally get's it!
Thank you for making this post so I didn't have to! lol
Old 05-26-2016, 07:24 PM

I feel your pain my 6.0 went **** up on me , It's the dreaded EGR cooler but this time I got it Rebuilt from the block up including ARP heads studs EGR delete kit, o-ring the heads , New Injectors, glow plugs, lifters, the list goes on and on . But the best part is I got it done from a diesel shop that knows the 6.0 inside and out. I got it back last Friday and let me tell you this thing is a Beast. I have to be careful now because I can easily wear out my 40's with no effort at all, And I got a 2yr warranty instead of the typical 1 yr from Ford. I will never take it ford again !

Quick Reply: 6.0 power stroke blew up again!!!