NITROUS OXIDE System Designs | Installation| Wet/Dry/Direct Port

2015 5.3 too much timing for 75hp shot? need help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2016, 01:30 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 5.3 too much timing for 75hp shot? need help!

Im running a canned 87 diablo tune at the moment, and I will be running a 75hp- 100hp shot on the NX wet kit. Will the canned 87 tune have to much advanced timing? I talked to a guy and he said in most applications little or no timing is added in the 87 tune. What do you guys think?

I'm new to the forum by the way! And any help is appreciated! There is a lot of great info on this site and a lot of smart individuals!
Old 03-10-2016, 02:21 PM
TECH Resident

hmmm... i would think that truck would probably be retarding like crazy even attempting to run 87 octane... I know both my 6.2 and NNBS 5.3 i've had pinged and pulled timing everywhere on 87 and is less compression than a new DI motor i believe. I strongly suggest trying 93 octane and contacting DS and seeing how much advance is added in the 87 and 93 tunes. That being said.. on the factory tune a 75 shot would probably be fine.. ive ran 100 shots on stock timing tables but on older NBS and NNBS trucks.
Old 03-10-2016, 06:18 PM
Teching In

Ok I got some info, the 87 tune doesn't add any timing in WOT so I should be fine. I've ran 87 and 93 in my truck and don't notice a difference between the 2 although I'm sure 93 is much better for it. I haven't had any pinging with 87. I will run 93 though when running I'm on the gas. The new NX kit seems to be a pretty good one
Old 03-26-2016, 02:15 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 93 tune and run 100 shot with 1 step colder plugs with great results. 135 shot started burning plug straps lol. Make sure your fuel jet is spot on and it will fly.
Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IMO if that's all your running, skip the wet shot and run a dry shot before the MAF. The computer will take care of your timing and fueling up to about a 100 shot. There's a spot on those air boxs where this silly little valve or filter life thing a ma bob sometimes is, that makes the perfect place for a dry nozzle. Way cheaper than a wet set up too. That's what I did, then ended up with a wet plate and a 2 stage controller. Ran a small dry shot @ 2500 then a big one around 3500 for a total of 200-225. I had the same tuner/controller as well, I believe in the end running the Diablo tune I was pulling 8-9 degrees max for a total of 200-225ahot. Not saying that will work for you but it shouldn't differ much than my old 4.8 set up. Also assuming your truck is pretty new to you? if so I'm assuming you still have the G80 in the rear end? Once I started spraying a 75 and bigger I'd just do a 1 wheel peel. Of coarse I was trying to spray as soon as 2500 RPMS as the 4.8 had no bottom end.. but yea if you plan on having some fun with that nitrous I wouldn't spend anymore time or money on it until you get a good LSD/posi carrier in that rear end. Extreme let down after your all set up with the nitrous and you can't even hook up!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:24 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Blwn99x
I have a 93 tune and run 100 shot with 1 step colder plugs with great results. 135 shot started burning plug straps lol. Make sure your fuel jet is spot on and it will fly.
+1 on the colder plugs too. I got excited and forgot or maybe was to lazy to change them and didn't pull enough timing the first decent sized shot and gwad dam it didn't sound good! I wasn't concerned about the motor to much hence the laziness but that sound was enough to get me to swap plugs and pull more timing. If I remember correctly too when about half of the pulls I did with the 200-225 shot (total wet and dry) had good bottle pressure and was just that, a solid 200 or so shot the trans would slip. I was able to run 150-175 shots all day with no slippage. Good luck with the bottle man, let me know how carried away with it you get!
Old 08-26-2017, 03:37 PM
TECH Addict

Received 371 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by LSrBEST
IMO if that's all your running, skip the wet shot and run a dry shot before the MAF. The computer will take care of your timing and fueling up to about a 100 shot. There's a spot on those air boxs where this silly little valve or filter life thing a ma bob sometimes is, that makes the perfect place for a dry nozzle. Way cheaper than a wet set up too. That's what I did, then ended up with a wet plate and a 2 stage controller. Ran a small dry shot @ 2500 then a big one around 3500 for a total of 200-225. I had the same tuner/controller as well, I believe in the end running the Diablo tune I was pulling 8-9 degrees max for a total of 200-225ahot. Not saying that will work for you but it shouldn't differ much than my old 4.8 set up. Also assuming your truck is pretty new to you? if so I'm assuming you still have the G80 in the rear end? Once I started spraying a 75 and bigger I'd just do a 1 wheel peel. Of coarse I was trying to spray as soon as 2500 RPMS as the 4.8 had no bottom end.. but yea if you plan on having some fun with that nitrous I wouldn't spend anymore time or money on it until you get a good LSD/posi carrier in that rear end. Extreme let down after your all set up with the nitrous and you can't even hook up!
You're actually suggesting spraying a highly flammable gas across an electrical element?

You remind me of Fast355.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:00 PM
Teching In

No no lol just the dry shot before the MAF and the wet shot is a wet plate after TB, LOL that would be bad! Would never suggest that! Unless I didn't like the poor bastard!
Old 08-27-2017, 10:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by madmann26
You're actually suggesting spraying a highly flammable gas across an electrical element?

You remind me of Fast355.
Nitrious Oxide is not flammable.
Old 08-28-2017, 11:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Slapps74
Nitrious Oxide is not flammable.
Right? Was someone actually implying it was? I hope not. I was assuming he thought I was spraying my wet shot before MAF. Yikes I'm confused! Either Way like I mentioned I'd it's not to late and If the OP wants to keep it simple I suggest a dry shot befor MAF all day log. Super easy!

Quick Reply: 2015 5.3 too much timing for 75hp shot? need help!