New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

Newbie from Houston

Old 01-25-2017, 08:59 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie from Houston

What's up everyone. I just purchased a 2004 Suburban with 411xxx miles for $1800. The old 5.3 still runs but has an oil leak, probably from the rear main, and it's giving a DIC message for low oil pressure. I got a good deal on an LQ4/4l60e combo from a 2003 Sierra Denali with around 130xxx miles.
I know I will have to have the pcm flashed and I'm looking into swapping to an e-fan to free up some power.
Current plans are to replace seals and gaskets before having them engine and trans put in.
I ordered a rear main seal and cover gasket, oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket, water pump gasket (swapping the new-ish water pump from the 5.3) and both intake gaskets.. Are there any other tips or anything else i should look at replacing before the transplant?
The truck won't be a daily driver as I mostly drive my work truck and my wife has her own vehicle. Occasionally we do get lots of family from out of town and we often take long road trips so I bought it for that purpose. I upgraded to a 6.0 for the additional torque because I may get some toys later this summer that I have to haul. After it gets on the road, I plan on a 6" lift and a set of 33's maybe.
Future plans include a custom cam, some head work, and goodies like exhaust, etc.(as long as I can get the wife to cooperate)
Prior to this I owned a 2002 Buick Regal GS. For 8 years my world revolved around supercharged 6 bangers, these 2 additional cylinders are a new thing for me.
Any advise would be greatly appreciated.
I'll shut up now... -Art

Old 02-22-2017, 09:10 PM
Teching In

C'mon guys. Eighty something views and no replies?
Old 02-22-2017, 09:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 545 Likes on 471 Posts

Sounds like you've got the bases covered. Check the knock sensors and harness of the motor going in. The rear knock sensor hole likes to hold moisture and rust them, causing failure to the sensor and harness.
Old 02-22-2017, 09:36 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the tip FFDP. I've seen BlackBear tuning mentioned on this site and a bunch of others. I got in contact with Jarrad over there to send my pcm in. I have the original pcm from the donor Sierra Denali. Any idea if there would be any issues with using a trucks pcm vs one from a Suburban? My concern is the obvious difference in options between the two trucks.

Search this Thread