New Members Come in and introduce yourself.

New member from Massachusetts.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 09:39 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool New member from Massachusetts.

I've got the bug. I've been watching way too many videos and reading way to many stats to not do anything about it. I wanna throw a 'big ol turbo' in my Sierra which already has a ton of *****. It's the most reliable, dependable item I have ever owned. It's a '99, I am the second owner, bought it with 49k currently has 125k. I put a K&N High Flow air filter in and had a Flowmaster 'Super 40' single-dual thrown on as well. I'm thinking of a K&B Big Hass Turbo kit, and an ECU I can control on the go. I want this thing to SCREAM! I realize the 4.8 won't have the oomph the larger sizes would do, but I have a light truck, and I'm not looking to break any records. I just wanna shut some people up...

Fortunately for me yet unfortunately for my truck, I have a house, wife and two kids (looking to have a third), so my money is quite tied up. But I would love any advice I can get from anyone who can give it.

Quick question, if I'm not gonna have money for anything major for a while would a dyno tune help with my minor mods even though I have the stock ECU? Also what are some of the cheaper HP gains out there? I hear the intake "cyclone" has a negative effect on the Vortec series engine because it already swirls the air. Would a throttle body spacer be of help?

Looking forward to more of the great talk I've already found on this site!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:30 PM
TECH Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

U my friend, need to use the search button for a week or so... That will answer the most of your questions.

If u still have questions, there is a handful of very knowledgable people that are more than capable of helping u spend every dollar u have left
Old 10-20-2014, 11:21 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Welcome aboard. Love seeing local guys pop up.

Dont waste your time with the bullshit small mods. None of them work and you will toss them aside in no time.

Normally people advise headers and a tune first... but with a turbo in mind you may want to skip the headers.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Welcome aboard. Love seeing local guys pop up.

Dont waste your time with the bullshit small mods. None of them work and you will toss them aside in no time.

Normally people advise headers and a tune first... but with a turbo in mind you may want to skip the headers.
Thanks Vortec, everything I read about the smaller stuff was just that, bullshit. Is a tune really worth it with the stock ECU? How much can they adjust without throwing in a new one? You can see the limited amount of mods I currently have (Air filter, Exhaust).

I was also wondering what kind of HP increase I could see from a cam alone? Is it really worth tearing everything apart for? I'm not looking to squeeze every little HP outa this little LR4, I just want a few mods with big gains.

The K&N High flow felt like it made a difference, and the Flowmaster did too. I'm thinking the only other things I would want/need are an 'On-the-go' controller, and the turbo kit. Not sure if I want a typical turbo or an STS rear turbo. I think the extra length pipe would contribute to a little colder air flow.

Any idea on what this thing could push with those mods? Again, would a cam make all the difference in the world? I also thought that you would want to get your tuning done AFTER all mods were in place. Does this not matter? Sorry for all the noob questions, but I am just that.
Old 10-21-2014, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by abey15
U my friend, need to use the search button for a week or so... That will answer the most of your questions.

If u still have questions, there is a handful of very knowledgable people that are more than capable of helping u spend every dollar u have left
Thanks Abey, I dont need any help spending my money, I have a champagne taste on a kool aid budget already hahaha. I've been looking at some prior posts, but without really being a gearhead and understanding bore and stroke numbers it just looks like a bunch of numbers to me. I don't want to be THAT guy to chime in on an expert conversation asking where the gas goes in you know?

P.S. I know where the gas goes in...
Old 10-21-2014, 10:45 PM

Received 61 Likes on 60 Posts

Sounds like youre dedicated to a turbo. Look into Trick performance or KB Racing. They seem to have the best rep around here. Its a fairly complete front mount kit.

That said a turbo can be a lot of work and I'm not sure its the right path for a noob... Not if you are building it yourself.

In short, yes a cam is worth it. Multiply that answer by 10 with a power adder. The 4.8 has become a somewhat desirable engine because of its smaller stroke and ability to take abuse.

Stage 2 GM turbo kit.

that on a 4.8 would be just silly if tuned and operating right.
Old 10-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Vortec350ss
Sounds like youre dedicated to a turbo. Look into Trick performance or KB Racing. They seem to have the best rep around here. Its a fairly complete front mount kit.

That said a turbo can be a lot of work and I'm not sure its the right path for a noob... Not if you are building it yourself.

In short, yes a cam is worth it. Multiply that answer by 10 with a power adder. The 4.8 has become a somewhat desirable engine because of its smaller stroke and ability to take abuse.

Stage 2 GM turbo kit.

that on a 4.8 would be just silly if tuned and operating right.
Thanks for the name drops man. The only reason I'm looking turbo is because from what I hear it has bigger HP gains than superchargers (even though it's more top end which I'm not worried about as my truck is light a hell. Especially when I take the bed off and do rolling burnouts like no tomorrow. 4HI Launch anyone?)

I am quite mechanically inclined I just don't know all the proper wording or jargon. I have a good brain just never studied in the area of performance parts even though I have always been a speed/power junkie!

So yes on the cam, any suggestions? Also by power adder do you mean a torque converter? Other good names?

These will all have to be done slowly as I mentioned the house and kids taking time and money.

Back to the tuning...would it be better to wait till everything is in? I don't mind if I have to get it done "1" more time after I get a new ecu. I just don't want to keep wasting $400 something on a tune. Again, wife, kids, house, speed addiction, don't want to waste any money here.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 AM
TECH Regular

You dont need a new ECM .. Yours can be programmed as is to fit ur needs ... And by power adder he probably means a turbo (since you mentioned turbo) because if you are going turbo you will have take your headers off so theres no sense in installing a set .. Unless you want to pay for a tune after you put headers on and then take them off and sell them when you go turbo? If you do install headers you will need a tune ... Wether thru mail with an extra ECM or email tunes with a handheld like i have done or a live tune you will need to be tuned for headers... But once you go turbo you will want live in person tune in my opinion ...

Last edited by BIGDADDY1969; 10-22-2014 at 01:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:55 AM
Teching In

You dont need a new ECM .. Yours can be programmed as is to fit ur needs ...
That's good to know, but what kind of HP increase are we talking about here?

And by power adder he probably means a turbo (since you mentioned turbo)
Should've known

theres no sense in installing a set .. Unless you want to pay for a tune after you put headers on and then take them off and sell them when you go turbo?
Yeah, again kids, house, etc. Can't do that.

But once you go turbo you will want live in person tune in my opinion
Yeah, I think it'd be better for the tuner to make the necessary adjustments. I'd be willing to pay for a tune for some gains now if it's only once more after I turbo.

Any suggestions on a cam? Or would that need a tune after too? Will I have to change the cam again after adding a turbo? If so it would probably be better for me to do that and the turbo together. I was looking at KB Racing turbos but I've been hearing a lot of good on those rear turbos as well, cooler air means less dense air which means more compression, and they save under-hood space. Vortech, that stage 2 kit looks nice too though.

Thanks again guys, it's nice to get advice from someone other than a race shop who might try to sell me on something I don't really need. I'd rather go with ideas already in mind and parts in hand. I'll trust opinions from ACTUAL owners over a sales guy any day.

I am hoping and thinking I will be happy with a cam, turbo kit, an on the go controller and a tune. Maybe a water/meth injector as well, but only if that won't blow anything up. Will I need anything else for these to work together? Or will a turbo 'kit' come with anything else I may need, injectors etc.?

Last edited by Crossbow; 10-22-2014 at 04:11 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 12:06 PM

I'm new to this board too, but Ive been a moderator on a turbo site and selling turbos WG's and BOV etc since 2004 Ive even manufactured turbo header kits.

I'd suggest banking the money and buying the parts for the turbo set up you really want.

I won't even build anything naturally aspirated anymore. The beauty of a turbo is that when your not into boost your just a regular engine, only when you introduce load does the turbo do the work. It's the best of both worlds.
I'd suggest a stand alone like accel gen 7,fast, or even mega squirt. It's just easier to keep the tune correct. Which will save you money in burned pistons. (Though some guys swear by the stock ECM just not my thing I mostly do older cars)

My car makes 960 hp is perfectly street able, and if I drive it normal it gets 17 mpg on the street which is better than my 08 dodge diesel the way I drive. . Ive got a 88 mm with a gen 7 dfi and 160 lb hr injectors just to give an Idea of the set up, it's on a Pontiac 455 with stock crank, 2 bolt mains factory block and iron 70s smog heads. Been together since late 2005 in the configuration it's in now except switched from carb and I added the DFI. Runs consistent 9.70s off the foot brake.

Quick Reply: New member from Massachusetts.